Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Motion pictures - video and animation > Movie mode - technical discussions

Movie mode - technical discussions Still imaging is complicated enough but for most of us video and movie making is a whole new world to get to grips with - here is the place to request help and advice and to post it too.

Old 6th January 2015

Liked 71 Times in 39 Posts
Question Car mounting my EM-1 timelapse

I have been playing with time-lapse with my various action cameras, but fancy a go with my EM-1. (to me) The obvious choice is playing with it on my drive to work.

I have seen a couple of videos on here doing the same, how do you mount your camera in the car?

Also, anyone have a dummies guide to the in camera time-lapse - i'm blowed if I an get it work (I can use my TriggerTrap if all else fails)
Old 6th January 2015

Liked 75 Times in 46 Posts
Re: Car mounting my EM-1 timelapse

I made my E-M1 timelapse movies by mounting the camera on a tripod and then securing the tripod to the car dashboard and front seats with elastic straps.
I've experimented with using the tripod as a monopod, fixed in the passenger seat footwell and also in the rear footwell - whatever effect and ease of fixing works for you.

To set the camera up for movies:-

Go to Menu / Shooting Menu 2
Scroll down to Time Lapse settings
Set to "ON"
Specify how many "Frames" you require - up to 999
Specify the "Start / Waiting Time" for the camera to start after you press the shutter button
Specify the "Interval" between shots you require
Select "Time Lapse Movie" ON - this will allow the camera to create the movie and also record the still pictures separately for you.
Double check you have "Set" all your chosen settings otherwise the movie sequence won't start when you press the shutter button.
The camera creates the movie at 10fps - so you can work out how long you have subject to the timed intervals.
Pre-focus as you can't change this once the movie is under way.

It's a great feature on the E-M1 I think.
Old 17th January 2015

Liked 75 Times in 46 Posts
Re: Car mounting my EM-1 timelapse

Have you got it working yet as you hoped?