Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 24th September 2014
Codger

Liked 38 Times in 17 Posts
E-1 Lightroom profiles

After some equipment rationalisation (more to come ) my only Four Thirds body is the E-1 (which is a keeper).

I have recently taken some pictures with it which I'm happy with, mainly in jpg but also some in raw. I was disappointed with the way Lightroom dealt with the raw files compared to Olympus Viewer, which I find is an ergonomic nightmare.

Does anyone have any custom profiles for the E-1 for Camera Raw or Lightroom?

TIA

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 24th September 2014

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: E-1 Lightroom profiles

Try here...

http://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=56992

No profiles but some help maybe?
Old 3rd October 2014

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I also have an E-1, and invairably save my images as TIFFs, because that format, unlike Adobe's DNG is completely universal with virtually any imaging software ever made.

Although technology has moved on, the ergonomics of the E-1, is in some respects, (like the position of the On/Off switch, buttons on the L/hand side of the pentaprism) better than even on the E-M1. (Mr Maitani's handiwork methinks!?) I don't generally have much time for such things, but I do wonder if his ghost didn't manage to get back into Olympus's product development dept (and is still there) until they started designing the E-M5 ....
Old 3rd October 2014
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footloose1949 View Post
I also have an E-1, and invairably save my images as TIFFs, because that format, unlike Adobe's DNG is completely universal with virtually any imaging software ever made.

Although technology has moved on, the ergonomics of the E-1, is in some respects, (like the position of the On/Off switch, buttons on the L/hand side of the pentaprism) better than even on the E-M1. (Mr Maitani's handiwork methinks!?) I don't generally have much time for such things, but I do wonder if his ghost didn't manage to get back into Olympus's product development dept (and is still there) until they started designing the E-M5 ....
Thanks for the tip. I will have to do some more experimenting. Of course the JPGs from the E-1 are outstanding. It's still a remarkable camera.

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 3rd October 2014

Liked 1,036 Times in 647 Posts

IIRC, someone (it may have been Andy Elliot) posted E-1 profiles on 4/3 User years ago.
Old 4th October 2014

Liked 145 Times in 101 Posts

I like the decent RAW highlight headroom in E-1 files, good for the age and sensor size, but for RAW processing I use photoNinja as the starting point is better for me than Lightroom's and I don't use Lightroom's file organisation.
Old 5th October 2014
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
I like the decent RAW highlight headroom in E-1 files, good for the age and sensor size, but for RAW processing I use photoNinja as the starting point is better for me than Lightroom's and I don't use Lightroom's file organisation.
Thanks for the suggestion. I had a look and it seems to work well with E-1 ORF files but the price is way too much for the occasional use it will get. I'm fully into Lightroom for everything else.

I guess I'm stuck with Olympus Viewer. Maybe there is a good tutorial on it somewhere

Old 5th October 2014

Liked 72 Times in 27 Posts

Another suggestion could be to try something like the OnOne Perfect Effects plugin for LR - I find using LR to adjust E-1 ORFs for general exposure and then OnOne for contrast etc gives pretty good results - but you need to be restrained to avoid over-cooking the image. PS - my only remaining dSLR is also an E-1 and I agree - it's a keeper.