Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1 E-1 specific discussion.

Old 18th July 2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
E1 error code 5880

Hi: My E1 is suddenly wreaking the CF card. When I delve into the codes there is an 5880 error code. It takes about four goes to low level format the cards back to life.
I've checked for bent pins and all are OK.
When I first switch the camera on the red light flashes for about five seconds then there is a 'Card Error' message.
Tried resetting the camera but the two button reset isn't a very hard reset and seems only to remove user settings.
Has anyone come across a 5880 code?
I think it is now a paperweight!
Thanks.
Donald
Old 21st July 2014

Liked 558 Times in 333 Posts
Re: E1 error code 5880

Have you checked to see if you have the latest update from Olympus on your E-1?
I believe it should be 1:5. Can't find the error code, but it may be a software problem?
Old 21st July 2014

Liked 944 Times in 384 Posts

I've searched and the only problem found relates to your post regards the CF card? As you've checked the pins, it could be the card itself is at fault? I've had issues where it appeared the CF card appeared to have formatted OK both in camera (e20) and PC with adapter, but still refused to be recognised in the camera. Changed the CF card from the original 256 Mb to a 2Gb and all was OK. Tried the 'duff' card in the 1d and it worked for a short time then went down the tubes.

You coluld also post off an email to Olympus asking if they can shed some light on the error code with the idea of sending it in for repair if needed. The very least they could do would be to indicate where the error points to?

I had a problem with my C**** 1d - different issue - and was fortunate to find error codes on their web-site, something which Oly don't seem to do... or have I missed somethin???

Wally with his Collie and our Oly bits & bobs

Old 21st July 2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping that a hard reset may help, then I could update back to 1.5. There doesn't seem to be a method of doing a hard reset. Everything else on the camera works perfectly but not talking to the CF card is a bit of a nuisance! I've tried different cards and had fun recovering the formatting using the Transcend low level formatter which works much better than the Windows one - also works on SD cards.
I think I will throw myself at the mercy of Olympus and ask if there is a fix. Olympus in Canada, who are good and quick, have a basic $168 charge. But I don't really want to pay that to be told that it is unfixable.
As I said, I think I've got a paperweight.
Thanks.
Donald
Old 21st July 2014

It does say in the book that the cards must be formatted in camera have you tried that?

Must admit I have always done that with all my bodies and cards.
Old 21st July 2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

When the camera says "Card Error" you can do nout and can't format the card. We will see what Olympus comes up with. I've never understood why error codes are held in such secrecy. Maybe they think we will rush out and fix our own cameras.
Thanks.
Donald
Old 21st July 2014

Thanked 1,066 Times in 951 Posts
Liked 972 Times in 645 Posts

Last time I asked about a code I was told to send camera in and a technician would check the code to see if a repair was needed? When I pointed out that the system was flawed I was told only the engineers had the codes and they used them for repairs! I then asked could they give the code to an engineer and let me know the problem as I did not want to pay to send the body to Portugal only to find it was a lens problem. No answer, as said releasing the code would let us know the problem and whether we needed to send body in or not how many of us have the skills and parts to do or own repairs. My camera kept working for 8 months before a physical problem meant I had to send it back. No mention on the repair slip of Any other fault other than the mirror problem it was sent in for. The error code was cleared on return!

If you give up smoking,drinking and sex, you don't live longer, it just feels like it.
Old 22nd July 2014

Posted this query on another web-site and the reply from a wizard from OZ was that there are more questions than answers. There is an update to a web link showing how to access the various codes display - http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/hidden.html - but nothing mentioned regards the e-1.

Seems you may have to call in the services of the NSA or GCHQ to get an answer.

Old 22nd July 2014

This might be worth a try ? Not from me, I may add

1. Ensure batteries are fully charged.
2. Look carefully between the lens and the camera body for any sand, dirt or any damaged etc.
3. Try turning the camera with the lens facing down and shake to dislodge anything stuck
4. Try removing batteries and memory card, wait 5 minutes and refit the battery only.
5. Now turn on camera( with out card ) and see ,if working then fix the memory card & again turn on the camera. If working then fine .
Otherwise format the memory card and fix back in camera again & try. Make sure before format the memory card take a
back up all photos in your computer then format. If no luck then reset or restore the camera setting by pressing Menu key for 2 sec ..
in not done the press both Menu & self time key for 2 - 4 sec.
Old 25th July 2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for your replies. For what it is worth here is what I did to repair the camera. I noticed that the rear LCD flickered and occasionally I could get it to flicker if I whacked the camera. So thought, loose connector and dismantled the camera. It's not difficult as the camera is old technology with a low packing density. Removed top and associated ribbon cables. Nothing wrong there. Removed back and found two of the ribbon cable connector locks undone. Reinserted ribbons, locked them in and reassembled the camera Voila, a working E1. There are a few tricks. There is a screw under the rubber below the WB button. Upon reassembly be careful to get the diopter adjusting knob in the right place otherwise you don't get the full range of adjustment. It is easy to move it while getting the top and back off. This camera had never been touched internally ( you can tell) so obviously a manufacturing problem.
I suppose a 5880 error code means "check ribbon cable connectors!"
By about now you are saying to yourselves, "This lad is mad." Or something similar. Well, I only paid $40 for the camera so I had little to lose. I used to be an electronics engineer but I'm sure that plays no part in the repair
Never did get a reply from Olympus repair in Canada. Now, Olympus would have charged me $168, so doing it my way I get a working camera and I have $168 of free money to spend on something else.
Donald
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ralph Harwood (25th July 2014)
Old 25th July 2014

Who dares wins might not always be the result but glad it came to fruition this time around.