Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > For sale or wanted small ads

For sale or wanted small ads Advertise items you no longer need, as well as interest in items you are looking for. Non-commercial small-ads only. Buyers please take maximum precautions as we can offer no protection from fraudsters.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 18th February 2014
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 9,596
Thanks: 291
Thanked 1,846 Times in 937 Posts
Likes: 442
Liked 814 Times in 371 Posts
Re: Trading on the e-group forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulfric M Douglas View Post
I'm the guilty curmudgeon (not the seller, the original ganger), but I tried to comment gently and even PM'd the forum about whether I was even allowed to point things out.
I got no reply from Ian on that, but really didn't want to overstep any rules.
I'm sorry if my comments have caused harm, but happy if the forum remains almost non-commercial as a result.
I'm always one for a bargain, but also fairness and honour.
I also think your post was great and totally agree with you on all points.
I'm very sorry you didn't get a response; actually I don't remember seeing your communication so I can only apologise.

Ian
__________________
Founder and editor of:
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 18th February 2014
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 9,596
Thanks: 291
Thanked 1,846 Times in 937 Posts
Likes: 442
Liked 814 Times in 371 Posts
Re: Trading on the e-group forum

One other thing - we aren't going to patrol the forum with bayonets at the ready and wage guerilla warfare with 'baddies' - if we come across someone who we feel is not respecting the spirit of the forum then we'll contact them and politely convey our concerns. We want to give people the a chance to adapt of that's what they want. If they do then we welcome this, if not, then we will only terminate accounts after all avenues have been explored in a civilised and fair-handed manner.

Ian
__________________
Founder and editor of:
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
sapper (18th February 2014), Wee man (19th February 2014)
  #18  
Old 18th February 2014
OM USer's Avatar
OM USer OM USer is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Posts: 6,807
Thanks: 1,284
Thanked 1,004 Times in 963 Posts
Likes: 3,541
Liked 577 Times in 430 Posts
Re: Trading on the e-group forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
...but in terms of the rule change we ask that you don't re-sell here on the e-group an item bought from another member for a profit until three months after you originally purchased it.
Sounds extremely friendly to me - and hence in the spirit of the forum. Thank you Ian & Mods.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 18th February 2014
yorky's Avatar
yorky yorky is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Halifax. West Yorkshire
Posts: 1,384
Thanks: 190
Thanked 68 Times in 64 Posts
Likes: 61
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Re: Trading on the e-group forum

I don't see any problem, I have bought from members and sold to various members very occasionally but each occasion they have been members whom I have seen contributing on a regular basis with no problems whatsoever. I think the terms to be fair are reasonable and I can't see a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 18th February 2014
timphoto1 timphoto1 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: cornwall
Posts: 173
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Likes: 1
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Trading on the e-group forum

I guess I am a guilty party then having mostly bought and sold on this forum but not for a profit on here . I have owned Olympus for a number of years and have regularly contributed to other sites. I think I have mainly benefited members . I buy and sell on ebay quite a bit but that is all from ebay and then sold back on ebay . I make money sometimes for sure but I have never had a seller complaining that I resold there item for more money. To be honest if someone bought something from me and then made a healthy profit reselling here or on ebay then good luck to them thats there good fortune . My advice is check out the current selling rates of items first before putting them up for sale.
As for not selling an item you bought back on the forum within three months and telling the seller if you are going to make a profit that's just unrealistic and to be honest nowhere I have ever come across has ever suggested that.
Just my opinion but I dont think your changes are necessarily needed or wanted by the majority of your forum members . Maybe you should have a democratic vote ?
Regards
Tim
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 18th February 2014
sponner sponner is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Staffordshire Moorlands
Posts: 1,211
Thanks: 12
Thanked 165 Times in 144 Posts
Likes: 7
Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts
Re: Trading on the e-group forum

I've bought and sold on here, I find the for sale board an important part of the forum and would not like to see it over moderated, although I do get the unease.
__________________
hearts at peace under an English heaven
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 18th February 2014
Ross the fiddler's Avatar
Ross the fiddler Ross the fiddler is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Blue Mtns, NSW Australia
Posts: 10,238
Thanks: 1,647
Thanked 1,014 Times in 797 Posts
Likes: 3,372
Liked 1,061 Times in 661 Posts
Re: Trading on the e-group forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by timphoto1 View Post
I guess I am a guilty party then having mostly bought and sold on this forum but not for a profit on here . I have owned Olympus for a number of years and have regularly contributed to other sites. I think I have mainly benefited members . I buy and sell on ebay quite a bit but that is all from ebay and then sold back on ebay . I make money sometimes for sure but I have never had a seller complaining that I resold there item for more money. To be honest if someone bought something from me and then made a healthy profit reselling here or on ebay then good luck to them thats there good fortune . My advice is check out the current selling rates of items first before putting them up for sale.
As for not selling an item you bought back on the forum within three months and telling the seller if you are going to make a profit that's just unrealistic and to be honest nowhere I have ever come across has ever suggested that.
Just my opinion but I dont think your changes are necessarily needed or wanted by the majority of your forum members . Maybe you should have a democratic vote ?
Regards
Tim
For the spirit of this forum, I think making any profit is unnecessary & in bad form. Usually equipment will depreciate & if a fellow member can't sell it on without 'making a killing', then they fall into the 'profiteering' category as far as I'm concerned. If I paid $500 for a lens from a member & then 6 months down the track decide I don't want it any more, although I might get $700 on ebay, why should I expect another member to pay more than I did. I'm sorry, but any member here trying to make a profit to another member on those terms is hardly a friendly member to me & this is supposed to be a friendly membership, with it being the case most of the time & I hope it can be maintained, but unfortunately needs moderating measures to keep it that way. I don't live in the UK (still have family around the UK though), but I hope the majority of the members might think similarly.
__________________
Ross
I fiddle with violins (when I'm not fiddling with a camera).
Cameras: OM-D E-M1/HLD-7, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5/HLD-6.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (19th February 2014), OlyPaul (19th February 2014), Ralph Harwood (20th February 2014), Wee man (19th February 2014)
  #23  
Old 19th February 2014
OlyPaul's Avatar
OlyPaul OlyPaul is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: West Midlands
Posts: 5,470
Thanks: 140
Thanked 720 Times in 579 Posts
Likes: 177
Liked 875 Times in 355 Posts
Re: Trading on the e-group forum

Yes although i have not been vocal I have noticed this trend for sometime and especially those coming from other sites just to sell things and not participate.

I've sold quite a few thing here to friends and by friends I mean people I have I have known here a long time when I have upgraded (though not for a while) and if I say so myself always at reasonable prices, so much so that they were nearly always snapped up immediately.

Now my main reason for saying this is that in the past I have had a policy of first come gets it as they have always been true committed members.

In future anything I do sell that has multiple buyers will not go to the first come first serve but to those who I consider to be true participating members and friends.

I am pretty sure that can be my prerogative if I so choose, and I am sure Ian will let me know if it is not.
__________________
Regards Paul.
One day I hope to be the person my dogs think I am.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Wee man (26th January 2015)
  #24  
Old 19th February 2014
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 9,596
Thanks: 291
Thanked 1,846 Times in 937 Posts
Likes: 442
Liked 814 Times in 371 Posts
Re: Trading on the e-group forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by timphoto1 View Post
I guess I am a guilty party then having mostly bought and sold on this forum but not for a profit on here . I have owned Olympus for a number of years and have regularly contributed to other sites. I think I have mainly benefited members . I buy and sell on ebay quite a bit but that is all from ebay and then sold back on ebay . I make money sometimes for sure but I have never had a seller complaining that I resold there item for more money. To be honest if someone bought something from me and then made a healthy profit reselling here or on ebay then good luck to them thats there good fortune . My advice is check out the current selling rates of items first before putting them up for sale.
As for not selling an item you bought back on the forum within three months and telling the seller if you are going to make a profit that's just unrealistic and to be honest nowhere I have ever come across has ever suggested that.
Just my opinion but I dont think your changes are necessarily needed or wanted by the majority of your forum members . Maybe you should have a democratic vote ?
Regards
Tim
Tim, I don't believe we have had any complaints about you but we certainly have concerning others who are maybe more aggressive and more prolific in their buying and selling. The problem is that your attitude is not representative in wishing others good luck in getting a good price - it does generate bad feeling and sometimes people don't complain publicly but are upset inside.

In the end it is down to the buyer to do what they want to with whatever they have bought but all we are asking is that if they are aiming to make a short term profit, to do it outside of the this site. I think that is more than reasonable.

And the question has to be asked - if you buy and sell so much gear, what do you do with it? Do you use it? If so why not get involved in showing your photography or at the very least get involved in discussions about others' photos or help/ask for help concerning gear or photography?

Ian
__________________
Founder and editor of:
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (19th February 2014)
  #25  
Old 19th February 2014
Simon Bee's Avatar
Simon Bee Simon Bee is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bridgend, South Wales
Posts: 1,632
Thanks: 106
Thanked 193 Times in 162 Posts
Likes: 349
Liked 232 Times in 148 Posts
Re: Trading on the e-group forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
In the end it is down to the buyer to do what they want to with whatever they have bought but all we are asking is that if they are aiming to make a short term profit, to do it outside of the this site. I think that is more than reasonable.Ian
This is a very reasonable and sensible statement and I totally agree, I have personally bought off and sold on the forum and it is indeed a very valuable resource, in fact I will shortly offer my E-M5 & 12mm for sale here as I have just bought an E-M1 off of a member. BUT it is my belief that if you are looking to 'quickly profit' off of the back of another member it goes against the 'spirit' of this very warm and friendly forum, and that's coming from a capitalist

Of course once you have paid for the item/s they are yours to do with as you so wish, and if you wish to sell on at a profit that is your choice BUT in the interest of harmony and dare-I-say fairness you should do so 'outside' of this forum, i.e. ebay / gumtree etc.

As an aside, if one is "buying and selling" on a frequent and largish scale I trust one is letting HMRC know so that one pays the relevant income tax on the 'profit' as HMRC WILL class you as effectively running a business and want their dues. HMRC often patrol car boot sales as these have in many cases gone from someone selling 'one or two' items to individuals making ( or attempting to ) a healthy living from them

Regards

Simon
Reply With Quote
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Ian (19th February 2014), Johnheatingman (19th February 2014)
  #26  
Old 19th February 2014
photo_owl photo_owl is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kent
Posts: 1,423
Thanks: 38
Thanked 130 Times in 114 Posts
Likes: 55
Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Trading on the e-group forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlyPaul View Post
Yes although i have not been vocal I have noticed this trend for sometime and especially those coming from other sites just to sell things and not participate.

I've sold quite a few thing here to friends and by friends I mean people I have I have known here a long time when I have upgraded (though not for a while) and if I say so myself always at reasonable prices, so much so that they were nearly always snapped up immediately.

Now my main reason for saying this is that in the past I have had a policy of first come gets it as they have always been true committed members.

In future anything I do sell that has multiple buyers will not go to the first come first serve but to those who I consider to be true participating members and friends.

I am pretty sure that can be my prerogative if I so choose, and I am sure Ian will let me know if it is not.
I'm in the same space Paul.

Although in the past I have rarely sold anything (an accusation my wife repeats every decade and that I have had little defence to) I have recently started to do so.

Generally I have been selective in the manner you mention through offering items to people who's posts suggest they might appreciate it (someone who's 620 died got an offer on my 30, the 50-200 went to someone who had had a burglary, and other items have generally gone to where I consider a good home and they consider a good price - this has also applied to purchases so I suspect others have made similar decisions at times too!

This is, in many ways, quite an unusual 'forum'; possibly a mirror of Olympus's early photographic consumers!

It's definitely not a democracy, and there's absolutely no reason why it should be - as members we are fortunate to benefit from a benign dictator with a little interest and support from a manufacturer; long may it continue

I was going to sell a lovely little Vivitar 28/2 that I had previously purchased from someone on here - but as I can't remember how much I paid, and it was only 6 years ago, I think I will hang on to it a little longer
__________________
E, Pen and OM-D bodies
43 m43 and legacy glass
loads of flashes and accessories from all the systems
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ross the fiddler (19th February 2014)
  #27  
Old 19th February 2014
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 9,596
Thanks: 291
Thanked 1,846 Times in 937 Posts
Likes: 442
Liked 814 Times in 371 Posts
Re: Trading on the e-group forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_owl View Post
I'm in the same space Paul.

Although in the past I have rarely sold anything (an accusation my wife repeats every decade and that I have had little defence to) I have recently started to do so.

Generally I have been selective in the manner you mention through offering items to people who's posts suggest they might appreciate it (someone who's 620 died got an offer on my 30, the 50-200 went to someone who had had a burglary, and other items have generally gone to where I consider a good home and they consider a good price - this has also applied to purchases so I suspect others have made similar decisions at times too!

This is, in many ways, quite an unusual 'forum'; possibly a mirror of Olympus's early photographic consumers!

It's definitely not a democracy, and there's absolutely no reason why it should be - as members we are fortunate to benefit from a benign dictator with a little interest and support from a manufacturer; long may it continue

I was going to sell a lovely little Vivitar 28/2 that I had previously purchased from someone on here - but as I can't remember how much I paid, and it was only 6 years ago, I think I will hang on to it a little longer
Oooh - Vivitar 28mm f/2? Can I borrow it for my AP Classics to Use series?

Ian
__________________
Founder and editor of:
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 19th February 2014
Simon Bee's Avatar
Simon Bee Simon Bee is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bridgend, South Wales
Posts: 1,632
Thanks: 106
Thanked 193 Times in 162 Posts
Likes: 349
Liked 232 Times in 148 Posts
Re: Trading on the e-group forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Oooh - Vivitar 28mm f/2? Can I borrow it for my AP Classics to Use series?

Ian
If not, you can always borrow my 28mm F2.0 Zuiko

Kind regards

Simon
Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
Ian (19th February 2014)
  #29  
Old 19th February 2014
photo_owl photo_owl is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Kent
Posts: 1,423
Thanks: 38
Thanked 130 Times in 114 Posts
Likes: 55
Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts
Re: Trading on the e-group forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Oooh - Vivitar 28mm f/2? Can I borrow it for my AP Classics to Use series?

Ian
depends - do I have to get permission from the person who sold it to me?

simple answer is yes; just pm to let me know where to send it Ian. It's a modified K mount so it's basically 43 mount.
__________________
E, Pen and OM-D bodies
43 m43 and legacy glass
loads of flashes and accessories from all the systems
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 19th February 2014
Ian's Avatar
Ian Ian is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, UK
Posts: 9,596
Thanks: 291
Thanked 1,846 Times in 937 Posts
Likes: 442
Liked 814 Times in 371 Posts
Re: Trading on the e-group forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_owl View Post
depends - do I have to get permission from the person who sold it to me?

simple answer is yes; just pm to let me know where to send it Ian. It's a modified K mount so it's basically 43 mount.
Will it still fit a Pentax?

Ian
__________________
Founder and editor of:
Olympus UK E-System User Group (http://e-group.uk.net)
Four Thirds User (http://fourthirds-user.com)
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
E-Group Forum and Posting Pictures David Gethin Software 5 20th December 2009 12:44 PM
This forum Kiwi Paul The lounge 16 13th August 2009 07:42 PM
e-group UK forum terms and conditions OlyFlyer The lounge 33 4th March 2008 09:37 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:15 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2015, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger