Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 23rd October 2013

Liked 955 Times in 285 Posts
Focus home point

Here's one for you E-M1 or E-M5 owners. On my E5 I can set a point as a home point, if I move my focus point around all it takes to return to my chosen centre point is a push of the focus point select and then the OK button and I'm back where I want to be.
I quite like this but when I got the E-M5 I spent a bit of time but cannot get it to work.
I've fiddled with the E-M1 and it's the same I can select my home point and the set for example the FN2 button to focus home but when I try to use it nothing happens. I've also tried setting the FN2 to AF area select so it's just like my E5 but this does not work either.

It's probably me just doing something silly but if anyone has ideas or has it working I'll be interested.

Being left handed my brain sometimes works sdrawkcab

Andy

Lots of cameras and lenses.

My Flickr
Old 23rd October 2013

Liked 1,712 Times in 602 Posts
Re: Focus home point

Hi Andy. I think I have got it to work as follows:

Page 90 of manual. Cog A. Set Home. Choose AF point position.

then

Page 144. Cog B. Choose a button and scroll through to the AF icon (the three dots).

I have set to Fn1 as a trial.

See if this works.

Ron
Old 23rd October 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olybirder View Post
Hi Andy. I think I have got it to work as follows:

Page 90 of manual. Cog A. Set Home. Choose AF point position.

then

Page 144. Cog B. Choose a button and scroll through to the AF icon (the three dots).

I have set to Fn1 as a trial.

See if this works.

Ron
Hi

Does your focus point return to you home point when set like this? This is how I've got it set up but no joy
Probably cause I've set something else different somewhere.

Thanks for the reply.

Andy

My Flickr
Old 23rd October 2013

Sussed it, as I have my camera set of MF mode three so I can auto focus with the AEL button but also manual focus it does not work. If I set it to SAF it works.
Shame it works in MF on my E5, I assume there's very little chance of Oly releasing a firmware update to cure this.

Andy

My Flickr
Old 23rd October 2013

Thanked 1,089 Times in 974 Posts
Liked 1,043 Times in 692 Posts

Ask Ian or Mark nicely?

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 28th October 2013

Liked 1,712 Times in 602 Posts

I was trying to think of a quick way to swap between Single AF Point and All AF Points, so that if I am photographing birds using the Single centre AF Point but suddenly need to use All AF Points for a flight shot I can do it without too much fiddling about.

Thinking about it, if I choose Single Centre AF Point as my Set Home default, and assign it to Fn1, I can always press that button to get to my normal shooting position instantly. If I need All AF points, I can nudge the Single AF point off the side of the screen with the arrow keys or dial, when it will automatically change to All AF points. To return to Single Centre AF Point I then just need to press Fn1 again.

Can anyone think of a quicker method?

Ron
Old 28th October 2013

Liked 53 Times in 42 Posts

Quote:
I was trying to think of a quick way to swap between Single AF Point and All AF Points, so that if I am photographing birds using the Single centre AF Point but suddenly need to use All AF Points for a flight shot I can do it without too much fiddling about.

Thinking about it, if I choose Single Centre AF Point as my Set Home default, and assign it to Fn1, I can always press that button to get to my normal shooting position instantly. If I need All AF points, I can nudge the Single AF point off the side of the screen with the arrow keys or dial, when it will automatically change to All AF points. To return to Single Centre AF Point I then just need to press Fn1 again.

Ron
not quicker, but I'm set up the other way round as I find it works better for me.

my default (set to home) is centre group - so pressing the (...) button brings that up.

now, when I set out to shoot, I select from the menu an alternative applicable to that subject/day - typically single centre point small - and the (...) button will now alternate between the 2 for me as a single, instant, function.

this can obviously evolve on any day if I find I need an alternative - the real issue for most people will be their underlying 'home' setting. My choice is currently based on how I shot with the E's, and my general shooting.
The Following User Says Thank You to photo_owl For This Useful Post:
Olybirder (28th October 2013)
Old 28th October 2013

Liked 298 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:

Ron
I mainly use single point for most subjects but I have all the settings I prefer for BIF as Myset 1 and assigned it to Fn1, this includes the centre 9 AF sites.

David
Olybirder (28th October 2013)
Old 28th October 2013
Grumpy Member

Liked 396 Times in 188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
Sussed it, as I have my camera set of MF mode three so I can auto focus with the AEL button but also manual focus it does not work. If I set it to SAF it works.
Shame it works in MF on my E5, I assume there's very little chance of Oly releasing a firmware update to cure this.
That is a shame. That's the way I work. can you do the same ting but to another programmable button I wonder?

Can't try it yet as I have no camera.

Hec
Old 28th October 2013
Grumpy Member

Liked 396 Times in 188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Hec View Post
That is a shame. That's the way I work. can you do the same ting but to another programmable button I wonder?

Can't try it yet as I have no camera.

Hec
Just had a look at the manual. P98 of EM-1 manual is the same table as, believe it or not, P98 of E3 manual.

According to that it should work the same way.

hec