Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 26th May 2013

Thanked 1,010 Times in 793 Posts
Liked 1,042 Times in 650 Posts
Olympus Viewer 3 update 1.02

Olympus has another update for their Oly Viewer 3 programme as follows "Improve stability of MAP and RAW Development functions".
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...update_win.cfm

Has anybody noticed any difference?
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
Wee man (26th May 2013)
Old 27th May 2013

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Re: Olympus Viewer 3 update 1.02

Thanks Ross!
I downloaded the whole Viewer3 installation file again today and will later have a go at it. And I really hope I see a difference, because I could not make it work AT ALL, the last times (!) I've tried.
As you need to type in a serial-# before you can download from the Oly website, can it be that an E-30 is just "to old" to get a valid copy of Viewer3?
Old 27th May 2013
Administrator

Liked 899 Times in 554 Posts

I was surprised that there is no support for WiFi to the new cameras.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 27th May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falk View Post
Thanks Ross!
I downloaded the whole Viewer3 installation file again today and will later have a go at it. And I really hope I see a difference, because I could not make it work AT ALL, the last times (!) I've tried.
As you need to type in a serial-# before you can download from the Oly website, can it be that an E-30 is just "to old" to get a valid copy of Viewer3?
I wouldn't have thought so, but I did use my E-M5 serial number when I first downloaded OV3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
I was surprised that there is no support for WiFi to the new cameras.
That will probably come with the next update (maybe when the E-P5 has been released).
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 27th May 2013

Just done with "installation" - and as in previous attempts (04-2013), I get the message: "Installation successful"
but then all I get is an EMPTY folder on my HDD - no program group, no icons - nothing!

I use an old system (P4 3GHz, XP SP3), however, it is above the minimum requirements - and with said message and all the fancy statements to read during "installation", I wonder what is going on

No much improvement in the new "version" - as far as I am concerned
Old 27th May 2013

Liked 176 Times in 88 Posts

Having downloaded Olympus Viewer 3 some time ago I have now tried the update procedure on several occasions. At each attempt as soon as the Update Button in Viewer 3 is pressed a message appears informing me a later version 1.02 is available. Pressing the Update Button on this screen as instructed, then totally freezes the whole page and the only way to clear it is to re-boot the computer.

In my experience, the various versions of Olympus Master and Viewer leave a lot to be desired as they seem to be riddled with download problems. My version of Olympus Master 2 has also ceased to function straight after downloading Viewer 3.

I will delete Viewer 3 and attempt to dowload again, but this time straight from the Olympus site as opposed to the update facility. If that also fails then its a case of R.I.P Olympus software as it's not worth the time and effort involved.

John
Old 28th May 2013

Quote:
Just done with "installation" - and as in previous attempts (04-2013), I get the message: "Installation successful"
but then all I get is an EMPTY folder on my HDD - no program group, no icons - nothing!

I use an old system (P4 3GHz, XP SP3), however, it is above the minimum requirements - and with said message and all the fancy statements to read during "installation", I wonder what is going on

No much improvement in the new "version" - as far as I am concerned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
Having downloaded Olympus Viewer 3 some time ago I have now tried the update procedure on several occasions. At each attempt as soon as the Update Button in Viewer 3 is pressed a message appears informing me a later version 1.02 is available. Pressing the Update Button on this screen as instructed, then totally freezes the whole page and the only way to clear it is to re-boot the computer.

In my experience, the various versions of Olympus Master and Viewer leave a lot to be desired as they seem to be riddled with download problems. My version of Olympus Master 2 has also ceased to function straight after downloading Viewer 3.

I will delete Viewer 3 and attempt to download again, but this time straight from the Olympus site as opposed to the update facility. If that also fails then its a case of R.I.P Olympus software as it's not worth the time and effort involved.

John
I'm sorry to hear you are both having issues. I have installed OV3 on 2 computers with Win7 (Home Premium & Pro) on both but have not tried on the 3rd with Win XP. It is still running OV2 for when I need that computer & maybe it might be better leaving it that way. BTW, when I first downloaded the program I first saved it in my own folder & then ran it from there. That way I only needed to copy the installation file to the 2nd computer, but the updates were done from running OV3 update prompt (when starting OV3 after the release date) in each computer. I assume you are both downloading the program from the Global site, http://support.olympus-imaging.com/ov3download/ and also your antivirus software is not causing an issue here, is it? Maybe someone else might come up with a better suggestion.
Old 28th May 2013

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Hi Ross, I can't even get OV3 basic version to download although I've tried several times. Set up starts and keeps repeating the various downloads of the programs and finally gives up!

I'm using W7 Prof. 64bit and 32bit.

To see what is in front of one's nose requires constant struggle.
GEORGE ORWELL
Old 28th May 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,125 Times in 923 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts

Just opened Viewer 3 for the first time in ages. Immediately got a prompt to update, which I did, and it worked flawlessly. Win 8 64bit.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 28th May 2013

Ross, thanks for your efforts in explaining. I am not sure what causes the problems, but it is not the usual download error or something. I got the first file from Oly-Japan (I believe) and the last from Oly-Germany.
I always, when possible, save an installation file to my HDD, to store and keep it for later use, if nothing else. I still have the old version file of Viewer3 - and when I hover over the filename in Explorer it tells me the version number 1.0.1 vs. 1.0.2. - so there is a difference. But, the file has exactly the same size: 97.459MB
What also puzzles me is the fact, that I get an "installation successful" message! Going to Software/Deinstallation within the system, I see an entry too. That's really weired.

I still have Viewer2 installed and that may be a problem? Which would be a programing mess of some magnitude ...
I use custom installation, as I don't want the default. May be a problem with Viewer3 demanding C:/programs/ as the only valid option?! Which would be a programing mess of some magnitude ...
My Avira Virus Shield is active throughout the process and should not have caused a problem without notifying me. To disable this would be something to try, but I am not very fond of it in the first place.

I may try the installation file on a machine of my children and so verify if it works there or at all.
Old 28th May 2013

Quote:
Ross, thanks for your efforts in explaining. I am not sure what causes the problems, but it is not the usual download error or something. I got the first file from Oly-Japan (I believe) and the last from Oly-Germany.
I always, when possible, save an installation file to my HDD, to store and keep it for later use, if nothing else. I still have the old version file of Viewer3 - and when I hover over the filename in Explorer it tells me the version number 1.0.1 vs. 1.0.2. - so the is a difference. But, the file has exactly the same size: 97.459MB
What also puzzles me is the fact, that I get an "installation successful" message! Going to Software/Desinstallation option within the system, I see an entry too. That's really weired.

I still have Viewer2 installed and that may be a problem? Which would be a programing mess of some magnitude ...
I use custom installation, as I don't want the default. May be a problem with Viewer3 demanding C:/programs/ as the only valid option?! Which would be a programing mess of some magnitude ...
My Avira Virus Shield is active throughout the process and should not have caused a problem without notifying me. To disable this would be something to try, but I am not very fond of it in the first place.

I may try the installation file on a machine of my children and so veryfy if it works there or at all.
I still have OV2 on my laptop as well & on the PC too (both 32 bit Win7 with AVG suite).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
Falk (28th May 2013)
Old 28th May 2013

Liked 176 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
I'm sorry to hear you are both having issues. I have installed OV3 on 2 computers with Win7 (Home Premium & Pro) on both but have not tried on the 3rd with Win XP. It is still running OV2 for when I need that computer & maybe it might be better leaving it that way. BTW, when I first downloaded the program I first saved it in my own folder & then ran it from there. That way I only needed to copy the installation file to the 2nd computer, but the updates were done from running OV3 update prompt (when starting OV3 after the release date) in each computer. I assume you are both downloading the program from the Global site, http://support.olympus-imaging.com/ov3download/ and also your antivirus software is not causing an issue here, is it? Maybe someone else might come up with a better suggestion.
Thanks for that Ross. My problem was the Update feature in Viewer 3 which refused to work under any circumstances and locked the page up every time. I've now got round the problem by deleting the original program and downloading again from the Olympus site.

As soon as the new program opened it notified me that an update was now available to 1.02 after shouting a few expletives at the monitor I tried the update and low and behold it worked so I now have Version 1.02

Thanks for taking the trouble to help

John
Ross the fiddler (28th May 2013)