Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1 E-1 specific discussion.

Old 2nd April 2013

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My 'new' E-1

Well this is the first opportunity(after Easter weekend) to post since getting my 'new' (to me) E-1('s) and am having a blast! What a super little camera, should've got one years ago but all things have their time I guess. Here are some initial pics for comment. First thoughts on the E-1 are how well made and user friendly (having been used to the E-10 for years) also the 14-54mm lens is a peach, battery life good even in the cold weather. The 5mp sensor hasn't proved too much of a limitation yet though it takes less close scrutiny and enlargement (on the monitor) than my EOS-1Ds mk2 (no sh*\ Sherlock) but its possibly more fun to use as a walkabout camera.

Seems it pays to 'shoot to the right' which I started out doing but monitor and histogram suggested no need!! The attached pics have had minor tweaks and sharpening from raw in Aperture 3 as most came out darker than I'd like and some a little flat as a result. Looks like 1/2 to 1 stop compensation may be needed as a standard setting (good excuse to go out and 'play again' ). The second body with the 17.5-45mm is nice and lightweight but seems to lack contrast and didn't seem to render subtle colours too well but thats only based on a first outing round St.Helier harbour using JPEG only.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E1_20130331_018.jpg (102.2 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg E1_20130331_026.jpg (99.5 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg E1_20130331_030.jpg (100.5 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg E1_20130331_120.jpg (99.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg E1_20130331_134.jpg (94.4 KB, 47 views)

E-10 (now deceased), E-1, E-3, EOS1ds mk2 with L glass
Old 18th April 2013

Liked 558 Times in 333 Posts
Re: My 'new' E-1

Enjoy the E-1, it is a superb camera, and once you really get into it you will be amazed at the quality of image. I use mine at -0.3 compensation to get more highlight detail, but turn everything else off. Not great above ISO400, but that makes you work for you image, and I like that. look forward to more pics soon. Set the camera to sRBG.
Look out for a copy of " Olympus E System " by Frank Spath ISBN 3-925334-67-x , it tells you how everything on the camera works, I got my copy for 2.80 from an on line shop
Pierre L (18th April 2013)
Old 18th April 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,671 Times in 2,067 Posts
Liked 2,907 Times in 1,362 Posts

It's surprising how big you can print from 5mp, it just won't stand much cropping, and at low ISO the quality is top notch even by today's standards. It's great to see you putting your E-1 to good use.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 18th April 2013
Administrator

Thanked 1,841 Times in 935 Posts
Liked 807 Times in 369 Posts

A bit of advice - please don't use file attachments for showing photos; use the free gallery space provided here or use the Insert Image button here. That way your photo will be better served by being shown at a decent size in the thread rather than a thumbnail.

If you use the gallery people will continue to find your photos months afterwards as they browse the gallery, too.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
Old 19th April 2013

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks everyone! Comments on gallery duly noted, only just joined the website so getting to know it! I have seen Frank Spath's book online but for about 20, shame as I just missed one the week before I got the camera on evilbay for a couple of 's !! I took a load in the forest near here a couple of weeks back but been too busy since to play but I am enjoying it! Coming from a film background originally (Canon T90) albeit via EOS-1d's more recently, a small display, low ISO and not cropping has never really bothered me and I tend to stick to the ethos that you should 'get it right first time' and not look to PS to bail you out!

Old 19th April 2013

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Cracked it now (I hope)!! Have uploaded a few of the recent E-1 images in Brittany and Jersey, damn I love this camera!

??? Why are my pics still coming out as thumbnails, I'd say I'm being blonde but haven't got that much hair

Last edited by MJ0RZD; 19th April 2013 at 10:34 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 22nd April 2013

Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts

Sure is nice to hear the E-1 referred to as "little."
Old 27th July 2013

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Bought my E-1 about a year after it first appeared, and still have and use it, even though since then I've bought an E-3 and the OM-D; unlike many other DSLRs, your nose doesn't get in the way, the On/Off switch is exactly where you need it for grab shots and street photography. The 14-28mm zoom is superb and I think in some respects is better than the later ?-60mm zoom. The only niggle I've ever had with it, are it's small LCD screen and the rear grip coming off, which some weeks ago I think I have permanently solved by using some of Evo-Stik's 'Serious Glue'!

So, maybe some of you might be asking, why did I go for the E-1? .... It was/is that superb 7-14mm ultrawide zoom, which until very recently, a comparable version hasn't appeared for APS-C cameras. I have to wonder if these sensors exhibit a failing due to the acute angle that the light 'hits' these sensors when using non-telecentric optics which has taken these manufacturers 7 years to overcome.
Old 27th July 2013

Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Bill Gordon

In my estimation the E-1 was the best camera that Olympus made!!
Old 27th July 2013

Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Bill Gordon

Oh, and I forgot to say, I loved your photos. They really reflect the quality of that camera and obviously you have a great eye for photos!!
Old 27th July 2013

Liked 137 Times in 95 Posts

Nice view.

Both I and my four-year-old like the handling of the E-1.
I just bought a new battery for mine so I could use it without the big grip.
Old 27th July 2013

Liked 38 Times in 24 Posts

Shooting with the E-1 is sort of like driving an old car, one that never needs new tires or a trip to the shop, but always takes me where I want to go.
Old 27th July 2013

Liked 789 Times in 490 Posts

It's over 5 years since I sold my E-1 but I didn't regret it until recently. Now I want one as a digital OM2 to use with my manual focus primes.
Old 27th July 2013

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Bill, I wouldn't go that far in my estimation of Olympus cameras. The E-1 was certainly the foundation-stone of the 4/3rds and m4/3rds formats. I feel the E3 and 4, good as they are, I think were driven by designers who were diverted from Mr Mantana's original concept of compact and highly functional cameras, because public opinion led them to presume that their cameras 'needed' to be the same size as their competitors. The OM-D, shows that Olympus has realised that the concepts laid down by the company's chief designer, are as valid today as they were when he proposed his over-arching design concepts, as can be seen in the half-frame cameras, the original OM1 system camera and subsequently, digital versions of the PEN. Some detractors may well look at the OM-D and fob it off as a 'copy-cat version of the OM film camera, when it's size is as big a shock as the original OM1 was, which proved in it's day that system cameras did not need to be big and bulky. The E-1 was probably as small as they could at that time design an interchangeable-lensed DSLR. Olympus's development of the mirrorless DSLR, meant that their designers could yet again take Mantana's original concepts to yet another level.

The 4/3rds and m4/3rds format does have some limitations, but these in my opinion, are significantly outweighed by the benefits of the compactness they deliver to users.
Old 28th July 2013

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for the comments, been loving the E-1 big time and the 14-54 is a nice lens, was tempted to get a 12-60 recently but it really doesn't seem justified right now. It may be a 'new toy' thing but the EOS's have stayed in the cupboard since getting the E-1 and putting an old OM 50mm on has been a blast as well. Recent addition of an FL-40 flashgun has been a good move as it was cheap to buy and works seamlessly on 'P' mode with the TTL and produces nice sharp/bright results (if only the set up with the Canon 580EX worked as well on the 1d mk2 but maybe thats just me!!).