Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-1

Olympus E-1 E-1 specific discussion.

Old 31st July 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
E-1 Compact Flash cards

Hi there

I have recently acquired an E-1 with a few (2x128MB, 1x256MB) CF Cards, that obviously date from the cameras introduction (2003) and so am really in need of some cards of a more modern vintage.

I have ordered a Lexar Pro 200X 4GB Card, which I assume will hold around 300 or so RAW files, which is enough for me as I'll likely shoot mostly in JPEG anyhow. It was only 10. Heck, cards are getting so cheap!

Is 200X an ideal speed? I searched the net and found 133-200X seems the limiting speed of the E-1 interface so for example a 300X or 600X card would not be of any use.

4GB and 8GB cards of these speeds are so cheap now I was just wondering would they work and work well?

Many thanks
Ed
Old 31st July 2012
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,125 Times in 923 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts
Re: E-1 Compact Flash cards

When I had my E-1 I had trouble with the larger cards - ie, 8Gb, so stuck with 4Gb. However, I've heard that many people have no trouble, so maybe it was just a glitch.

I would say that the 200X is fast enough for that camera. However, faster cards might download the images to your computer quicker, assuming you use a card reader.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 1st August 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Many thanks Stephen
The Lexar 200X card works well and writes RAW files in around 2 seconds which is great!
Ed
Old 28th August 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I was just wanting to check before ordering. Would this be ok for my E1 that is arriving tomorrow.
I can't post the link but ts the Kingston 4gb card for 7 on amazon uk.
I haven't bought CF cards for about 6 years but I'm pretty surenitbshould be ok?
If not could someone link to a better one on amazon for me. Many thanks.
Old 28th August 2013

Liked 559 Times in 334 Posts

Kingston cards are very good, as are the Sandisks, I use either 1gb or 4 gb Class 2 or 3, never had any problems at all.

I buy all mine from 7dayshop.com in the Channel Islands, they do some super deals.
N.B. Although CF cards have got faster, the E-1 itself has not the capability to write over a certain speed, so the really, really fast cards do not work to their full capability in this camera. I do not notice any difference in write speed between Class2 and Class 3.
If you use multi frame shooting, be prepared for some buffering, specially with RAW or Tiff files.
Old 28th August 2013

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply. They have the same card on 7dayshop. I'm a prime member so will order from amazon so I have it on Friday.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blackop8que For This Useful Post:
Imageryone (28th August 2013)
Old 29th August 2013

Liked 949 Times in 386 Posts

Probably a bit late... but I can use 4Gb /15MB/s Sandisk Ultra's without problems in my E-20. When I tried a 30MB/s it didn't work. Hopefully, the E-1 might perform at higher speeds but I would suspect there is a maximum limit.

Wally with his Collie and our Oly bits & bobs