Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 18th October 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
E30 owners + others

Hi Guys,

I appear to have cocked up a menu setting without realising it.

The problem is this, I was up at Westonbirt today taking some shots. The setup was as this F8/250 sec or similar. There were no slow shuuer speeds which could have accounted for this. I pressed the shutter button and instead of the rapid shutter closure one would expect at this speed, the viewfinder went black and the shutter appeared to whir for a few seconds and then close - however the resulting picture(s) are fine. I was messing around with a few of the menus a couple of days back,and have probably saved an incorrect setting by mistake. Any idaes any one?

This happened on my E510 a long time ago and I managed to sort it out myself - but I have forgotten what I did to correct it. Could it be to do with autobracketting or something.

Offers of help gratefully accepted.

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 18th October 2011

Liked 73 Times in 38 Posts
Re: E30 owners + others

Have you switched on the anti-shock?
Old 18th October 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I had. But in the meantime I have switched it off after going through Wrotniaks advice on E30 settings.

The camera appears to be working okay now - however I still don't understand the relevance of tehe anti shock being on / off ? Do you understand this button?

Thanks again for the reply

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 18th October 2011

Liked 30 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
.... however I still don't understand the relevance of tehe anti shock being on / off ? Do you understand this button?
The Anti Shock function is known as Mirror Lock-up on other cameras. It raises the mirror by the duration set in the menu before the shutter is released. The idea being that any vibrations induced by the mirror rising will have subsided before taking the shot.

Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to Wreckdiver For This Useful Post:
Benedict (19th October 2011)
Old 18th October 2011

Liked 103 Times in 56 Posts

Anti shock delays the firing of the shutter. when on a tripod it allows vibration to settle down before the shutter fires - it is not designed to be used off tripod
The Following User Says Thank You to crimbo For This Useful Post:
Old 18th October 2011
Administrator

Thanked 2,689 Times in 2,076 Posts
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,384 Posts

The anti-shock is for use when the camera is mounted on a tripod and is effective at reducing any possible vibration from mirror slap at all shutter speeds, fast as well as slow.

When anti-shock is enabled, as soon as the shutter button is pressed the mirror lifts, blacking out the viewfinder. However, the shutter does not open immediately, allowing time for any vibrations to subside before it does open. The length of the delay is user selectable, from 1 to 30 seconds. I usually set it for 4 seconds. When the shutter does eventually open it is for the selected speed, as normal. When it closes the mirror instantly returns too.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau

Last edited by Zuiko; 19th October 2011 at 07:57 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
Old 19th October 2011
Grumpy Member

Liked 380 Times in 177 Posts

I had the same problem with anti shock a couple of weekends ago and it took a few shots before the penny dropped. It does sound like that's what it may be. It's very wired when you are not expecting it.

Hec
Old 19th October 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks all for your replies. It seems that was the problem,it just why I should change the setting as it means nothing to me is my connundrum.

Old 19th October 2011

Liked 30 Times in 15 Posts

Phil, If you do any work using a tripod; especially macro then it is very much worth the trouble to use this function. As John (Zuiko) says, Anti shock is for use with a tripod only.

I did some tests recently with my Sigma macro lens with Anti shock on and with it off. There was a very noticeable difference in the results. It's worth getting to grips with.

Have fun

Edit: Actually, you should also use Anti shock with a remote lead or the self timer for best results.

Steve
Old 19th October 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am glad you mentioned that Steve. I have recently bought the Sigma 105 macro and was planning to do some work with it in the next few weeks - so I will bear your advice in mind.

Thanks again