Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 6th February 2011

Liked 980 Times in 402 Posts
Fake Antivirus scam software looks like 'real' software from AVG

Rogue anti-virus software which mimics the look and feel of legitimate anti-virus software is in circulation; a new version of 'FakeXPA' scare-ware poses as a legitimate commercial AV package, 'AVG Anti-virus 2011' but in reality it is a scam designed to compromise the computers on which it is installed. The download claims to scan for Malware, displays fake 'detection' warnings about infections and then asks for money to remove the non-existent Malware. Like other scare-ware, FakeXPA is known, in cases, to install its own Malware - variants of the Alureon Trojan horse program.

Microsoft has issued a warning about the scam which may also appear as "Anti-virus XP", "Anti-virusXP 2008", "WinDefender 2008" or "XP Anti-virus"
and say that their own Ant-Virus/Anti-Malware products Windows Defender, Microsoft Security Essentials, the Windows Live safety scanner can detect and remove infestations planted by the scare-ware software.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 6th February 2011
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Re: Fake Antivirus scam software looks like 'real' software from AVG

Thanks for the heads up! I'll email this onto my parents ( they have fallen for this type of scam before)
Old 6th February 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

AVG is well worth staying away from at all times anyway. Thanks for the highlight.
www.dgpix.org.uk
My Flickr
Old 6th February 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

As long as you download AVG from a reputable site ( say download.CNET.com ) then there is no need to worry. I've got to say that I think it is a perfectly good, FREE product. I've been in the IT industry since the early 1980s and I've probably tried most of the more popular anti-virus programmes and find AVG Free better than many. I think it's much like the discussions on this forum regarding image processing software everyone has their own views, likes and dislikes based on their own experience.
kendo (6th February 2011)
Old 6th February 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie allan View Post
As long as you download AVG from a reputable site ( say download.CNET.com ) then there is no need to worry. I've got to say that I think it is a perfectly good, FREE product. I've been in the IT industry since the early 1980s and I've probably tried most of the more popular anti-virus programmes and find AVG Free better than many. I think it's much like the discussions on this forum regarding image processing software everyone has their own views, likes and dislikes based on their own experience.
I too have worked IT for many years, mostly in the security and infrastructure areas, and I wouldnt touch AVG with a barge pole. Anything that bundles tame spyware in its download is not going near any machines of mine!
www.dgpix.org.uk
My Flickr
Old 6th February 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I too have worked IT for many years, mostly in the security and infrastructure areas, and I wouldnt touch AVG with a barge pole. Anything that bundles tame spyware in its download is not going near any machines of mine!
Danny,
As I said previously I think it's a case of each to their own. However I would point you to the PC Pro review of AVG Free 2011 http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/softw...e-edition-2011 and the statement

'On the detection front, 2011 keeps up the good work. It picked up 91% of our test threats straight away, and when we executed samples it picked up a further 2%, for an overall score of 93%. Thatís exactly the same as version 9, and though itís not quite up there with the 96% score of the A-Listed Norton Internet Security 2011, itís on a par with plenty of commercial packages.

In fairness, though, once youíre up and running it still does a decent and unobtrusive job of detecting malware, and its feature set makes the likes of Microsoft Security Essentials look bare. For that reason AVG remains our preferred free security package.'
Old 6th February 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I take your point about personal preferance, no worries, I'm not having a go or anything. Its just regardless of what PC Pro says, I'll not be installing or advising any of my corporate or in house users to install it either.

I think we are both working off previous experiences, one good, one bad, and in our game thats how I think we should work
www.dgpix.org.uk
My Flickr
Old 6th February 2011
SonorG

Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
I take your point about personal preferance, no worries, I'm not having a go or anything. Its just regardless of what PC Pro says, I'll not be installing or advising any of my corporate or in house users to install it either.

I think we are both working off previous experiences, one good, one bad, and in our game thats how I think we should work
What AV product would you recommend? I'm trying to find a decent alternative to AVG that also doesn't use up a lot of system resource.

Cheers
Garrie
Old 6th February 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Garrie,
If you're looking for a free version that's lighter on system resources Avast used to be highly recommended by PC Pro. However their recent update appears to be causing problems - particularly for users with Win7 64bit. If you're prepared to buy an AV product Norton Internet Security 2011 appears to be rated best. However my previous experience with earlier versions of Nortons would mean I wouldn't buy it - a bit like Danny and my previous correspondence - everyone has their own preferences. Best advice I can give is check the independent sites such as PC Pro and CNET, read the reviews, decide what aspects are best for you and choose from there.
Garrie (6th February 2011)
Old 6th February 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hate recommending products for peeps, but I do agree with Jamie that Norton can cause lots of resource issues. Avast is ok, but might give you the same problems as you had with AVG. Try some out and find what works for your setup, as everyones is different.
www.dgpix.org.uk
My Flickr
Old 6th February 2011

Liked 64 Times in 41 Posts

Garrie, Fhere is another possibility which is often overlooked when folks search for free AV software.
If you use internet banking, a number of banks offer free downloads of their preferred software.
HSBC offer free McAfee for instance.

The nearest I have to a home page.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/peak4/
They're Watching You!
The Following User Says Thank You to peak4 For This Useful Post:
Garrie (6th February 2011)
Old 6th February 2011
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,125 Times in 923 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts

When I was IT security manager for a major local authority, the best a/v software I found, having conducted thorough trials on test networks, was Sophos. However, this is not easily available for the home market. The problem I found with Norton was it used too many system resources, and Kaspersky was, shall we say, temperamental. I now use the paid-for version of AVG with no problems (touch wood!).

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 6th February 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

AVG is odd when I first started using it 3 or 4 years ago it was lite, quick and pretty good as times gone on it gradually became bloated and slowed my computer to crawl on occaisions (and back then the computer would have been extremely quick) it also let a few things through that it really shouldn't have which malware bytes thankfully picked up on before damage was done. Without a doubt it's better than nothing but IMO there is better free AV software out there like Avira or Avast - both better IMO but are pretty basic and again have both let a few things through on friends computers.

As for Norton I would sooner risk running with no AV software or going back to AVG than install any of their crap on any computer I've worked on despite what the tests may say. Over the years the number of computers I've looked at with virus problems that have Norton AV installed and apparantly up to date on them is unreal. In my experience it's perfectly good at hogging resources but pathetic at actually protecting your computer.

Personally I've moved all my and the families computers to Microsoft Security Essentials and haven't looked back. It's quick and efficient and best of all it's free to all genuine Windows owners. When I last looked it scored well in independant tests - I haven't kept an eye on how it performs now against the competition but I'd be surprised if it isn't still among the top scorers.
Old 6th February 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to AlistairJ

McAfee stole my money before, so they are never installing software on my computer ever again. My new Dell came with it pre-installed so I removed it and added AVG Free.

alistairj.smugmug.com
Old 6th February 2011
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie View Post
What AV product would you recommend? I'm trying to find a decent alternative to AVG that also doesn't use up a lot of system resource.

Cheers
Garrie
Mac. end of.

Me = 5 years with a Mac. No anti virus software installed on it. No virus ever.

Jen (wife) = 4 years with a Mac. No anti virus software installed on it. No virus ever.

Heather= 3 years with a Mac. No anti virus software installed on it. No virus ever.

Lloyd = 3 years with a Mac. No anti virus software installed on it. No virus ever.