Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11th January 2017

Liked 1,147 Times in 781 Posts
Re: Can We Sue Volkswagen Owners for Polluting Our Air?

You would need rather more than 41.4% renewable electricity to compensate for losses in the electricity network, and especially for the inefficiencies of storage batteries, which need to be charged with around 1.6 times the actual power provided.

I also fail to see how a hybrid vehicle travelling at crawling speed in city traffic will have sufficient kinetic energy to generate worthwhile power with which to charge its batteries. Apart from anything else, the batteries would be unable to maintain hotel services (heating, lighting, aircon, entertainment, etc.) for long without running the engine to charge batteries.

On the odd occasions that I have been driven in hybrid cars I have been rather irritated by the way their engines constantly stop and start in traffic. They certainly don't seem to go very far on battery power alone.

I appreciate that hybrid vehicles are given preferential status with regard to taxation and congestion charges, but that does not prove their environmental credentials any more than the lower taxation presently afforded to diesel vehicles.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing