Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Dealers' Den

Dealers' Den The idea of this board is to provide a link between e-group members and Olympus UK dealers.

Old 24th November 2016

Liked 48 Times in 41 Posts
Buying from B&H Photo

I have heard that B&H Photovideo in America are very "UK friendly". They have some very good offers at present, a LOT cheaper than prices in the UK. So, how safe is it offering from them and if I did, will I get stuck for customs here?
Old 24th November 2016

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts
Re: Buying from B&H Photo

I have heard that they are very good.

Unless they have a scheme for paying the VAT and Import Duty etc. you run the risk of being stung for 20% VAT, Import Duty and a Carrier Processing Charge.

So take this into account.

Dave
The Following User Says Thank You to Steambuff For This Useful Post:
Loup Garou (24th November 2016)
Old 3rd January 2017

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loup Garou View Post
I have heard that B&H Photovideo in America are very "UK friendly". They have some very good offers at present, a LOT cheaper than prices in the UK. So, how safe is it offering from them and if I did, will I get stuck for customs here?
May I ask what their deals are on? (Or were?)

I just had a look at their website and very much everything seems to be more expensive than I can find in UK dealers. And that is before a potential 20% VAT on top.
Old 3rd January 2017

Liked 244 Times in 157 Posts

I believe B&H ship quite a fair amount to UK customers, as such they give you the option to pay VAT & Customs 'upfront' .... see their 'Guaranteed landed cost' on their home page .......

........https://www.bhphotovideo.com

If you do decide to buy from them I suggest you take that option as I can assure you you WILL get hit for VAT & DUTY when the goods arrive in the UK. About three years ago I bought several vintage lenses from the USA, something like six separate transactions in total. Everyone of those shipments was picked up by HMRC and I had to pay Parcelforce the VAT & DUTY plus 18 on each shipment to them for 'handling'. It was not a problem as I had factored it in in advance of the purchase, that is the VAT & DUTY, the 6 x 18 to Parcelforce did however come as a shock, especially as all six consignments were being delivered by P'F as one ... talk about 'taking the p**s

Kind regards, Simon
Old 3rd January 2017

Liked 244 Times in 157 Posts

Out of interest what 'good offers' do that have at the moment?

I ask because I have just purchased an Oly 25 f1.2 PRO off of 'Clifton Cameras' taking advantage of the 20% sale before it ends at close of day tomorrow. I just paid 879.20 for it , saving 219 on their usual price.

https://www.cliftoncameras.co.uk/Jan...Olympus-Lenses

At the moment that said lens from B&H will cost me ( if I 'prepay' the VAT & DUTY ) $1623.51 or 1326.57 .... some 447.37 DEARER than what I just paid to Clifton Cameras

see my 'semi completed cart' below ......

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/cart.jsp

Even when the price reverts to their normal one of 1099.00 on 5th Jan it is still 227.57 CHEAPER than B&H ..... food for thought ?

Of course B&H may have something which you are considering that is indeed cheaper, all I am saying is .... just 'double check' what offers are available in the UK first. Plus if you buy 'Genuine UK Import' goods you will be helping to support a UK retailer and benefit from UK warranty

Kind regards, Simon
Old 3rd January 2017

Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts

Having followed the extensive US press coverage last year about the way B&H treats some of its workforce, I would not buy anything from them, however great the price advantage.

David
Old 4th January 2017

Liked 897 Times in 544 Posts

I was lucky enough to visit B&H in ~2007. It's a fantastic place with cameras etc being delivered to the point of sale automatically by conveyors. Just looked at the 2016 CNN report. Not good if true. Difficult to know what's happening behind the scenes but front of house was pretty impressive. The pound was at nearly $2 when I was there but I bet as Simon says the price advantage if any is pretty poor now.
Old 4th January 2017

Liked 3,005 Times in 1,046 Posts

Pretty well every Jan I'm in NYC for a conference and usually do an annual pilgrimage to B&H. I'll be there week after next in fact. In previous years there were some bargains to be had, but with post Brexit exchange rates, I can't see much benefit now.

In fact, if you look at some products (the current Panasonic cash back puts the GX80 at 229 for instance!) then the UK is actually much cheaper. I expect that will change once the exchange rate changes finally work themselves through so if you have your eye on products whose pricing is still close to pre - Brexit, then I'd recommend doing it soon!
The Following User Liked This Post:
benpanesar (5th January 2017)
Old 4th January 2017

Liked 48 Times in 41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telhinhas View Post
May I ask what their deals are on? (Or were?)

I just had a look at their website and very much everything seems to be more expensive than I can find in UK dealers. And that is before a potential 20% VAT on top.
Sure. When I posted this thread, I was looking to replace all my filters with B+W ones. I first made a list of the best UK deal I could get for all of them and totalled the cost; then I rang B&H, told them what I was after and asked them the total cost, including paying customs and VAT up front. B&H had all but one of the filters that I wanted and total cost comparison saved me approximately 35 by ordering from B&H at that time.

The only filter that they did not have was the 58mm B+W Digital PRO in silver which I wanted for my Olympus 75mm f1.8. Neither did anyone in the UK. I got it direct from Germany.