Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Dealers' Den

Dealers' Den The idea of this board is to provide a link between e-group members and Olympus UK dealers.

Old 30th August 2016

Liked 588 Times in 261 Posts
Bad experiences with Park Cameras (Moved to Dealers' Den)

I'm not sure if I've been unlucky but a head's up to anyone ordering from Park Cameras. In July I ordered a TG-Tracker after being sent an e-mail it was in stock. Almost two weeks later it was finally in stock, but they didn't communicate at all, then said it was dispatched when it wasn't and just generally didn't know what was happening.

After that experience I swore I'd never order from them again. On Friday I was looking for the Panasonic 100-400mm lens and according to the website they had stock (but not Wex, SRS, Clifton or Amazon). To be on the safe side I phoned to place the order, 4 in stock. Could have be ParcelForce on Saturday or free Royal Mail today. Today was better so chose that. No order confirmation, dispatch confirmation just like before so phoned them and not surprised to hear it hadn't been dispatched! Order cancelled and will wait until Clifton Cameras get their stock and deal with a company I trust.

Old 30th August 2016

Liked 3,183 Times in 1,093 Posts
Re: Bad experiences with Park Cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs T View Post
I'm not sure if I've been unlucky but a head's up to anyone ordering from Park Cameras. In July I ordered a TG-Tracker after being sent an e-mail it was in stock. Almost two weeks later it was finally in stock, but they didn't communicate at all, then said it was dispatched when it wasn't and just generally didn't know what was happening.

After that experience I swore I'd never order from them again. On Friday I was looking for the Panasonic 100-400mm lens and according to the website they had stock (but not Wex, SRS, Clifton or Amazon). To be on the safe side I phoned to place the order, 4 in stock. Could have be ParcelForce on Saturday or free Royal Mail today. Today was better so chose that. No order confirmation, dispatch confirmation just like before so phoned them and not surprised to hear it hadn't been dispatched! Order cancelled and will wait until Clifton Cameras get their stock and deal with a company I trust.

I bought a used Canon lens and an Epson printer from them some years ago and they handled that fine - sounds like they've deteriorated though. Thanks for the warning.
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
Mrs T (31st August 2016)
Old 30th August 2016

Liked 78 Times in 57 Posts

I had a very pleasant experience at Park cameras in London, very good service indeed however that was in person opposed to internet or phone.
Mrs T (31st August 2016)
Old 30th August 2016

Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts

I have bought a few items from Park Cameras over the last twelve years or so, and have been very happy. However I do feel that their service has become less personal and efficient as they have expanded (I first dealt with them when they occupied a small shop in Haywards Heath). I have only visited Clifton Cameras once (my daughter lives near their shop) but I felt they still have the "one small shop" feel with personal service, and as they are local to you it would seem to be "no contest".

David
The Following User Says Thank You to dcbrookes For This Useful Post:
Mrs T (31st August 2016)
Old 31st August 2016

Liked 146 Times in 82 Posts

Like David, I bought from Park when they had their shop as opposed to the mega store in Sussex. The service was excellent, my wife's camera failed while we were on a photographic holiday in the Lake District. A replacement arrived the next afternoon. Sounds like the personal touch has been lost since their expansion. I have also been to one of their workshops it was OK, my main gripe was the lack of any kind of notes that covered the scope of the day.

David
Mrs T (31st August 2016)
Old 31st August 2016
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Won't go into details - but it extremely unlikely that Park Cameras are ever going to see the insides of my wallet.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dick Bowman For This Useful Post:
b1ts (16th February 2017), Mrs T (31st August 2016)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (1st September 2016)
Old 31st August 2016

Liked 16 Times in 15 Posts

My friend got her 100-400 from Jessops who gave an excellent service
The Following User Says Thank You to joglos For This Useful Post:
Mrs T (31st August 2016)
Old 31st August 2016

Thanks all for your comments. It seems perhaps I have been unlucky but via Twitter they have said they have changed some of the mail order processes but still need to sort some things out. Maybe they will but I'm not sure I'd try them again.
Old 31st August 2016

Liked 1,731 Times in 608 Posts

I hope you find one at a reliable supplier soon Amanda. It seems that the Olympus 300mm f/4 is in stock in a lot more retailers than the Panasonic 100-400mm. I suppose that is due to the extra cost of the Olympus lens which puts it out of reach for many people.

Ron
Old 1st September 2016

Thank Ron.

Thankfully I hadn't cancelled my pre-order at Clifton Cameras and I spoke to them yesterday and it might be here this month. I was just hoping to have the Pany for our holiday!

Still, we'll just have to go to Slimbridge instead! I'd wished it had been here earlier though as the kingfisher has been quite active this summer!

Amanda
Old 1st September 2016

Liked 1,193 Times in 815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Bowman View Post
Won't go into details - but it extremely unlikely that Park Cameras are ever going to see the insides of my wallet.
Me likewise!

This was a few years ago, but they advertised the E1 for a special promotional price in AP.

I was looking for a second E1 body as my first had been damaged, so I picked up the phone and ordered.

When the camera body arrived the price was significantly higher than quoted in AP, so I picked the phone up again and called Park Cameras thinking there has been a mistake.

Park Camera's response was that the special price "only applied to AP readers", and that 'as I hadn't mentioned AP when ordering they wouldn't honour the special price'!

I had mentioned the AP advert at least once, but they refused to budge, so I refuse to deal with them unless there is no other option.

Oddly enough, I reported this in the AP forum at the time. Several other members had had similar experiences, but the Mod's locked the thread and then deleted it, with a warning that any further complaints would result in offending members being banned.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
The Following User Liked This Post:
Mrs T (1st September 2016)
Old 1st September 2016

Liked 78 Times in 57 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs T View Post
Thanks all for your comments. It seems perhaps I have been unlucky but via Twitter they have said they have changed some of the mail order processes but still need to sort some things out. Maybe they will but I'm not sure I'd try them again.
If you find something u need i can always pop into the london store as i pass it probably once a week i dont mind helping folks on here i can always ups it then. PS as long as flood gates dont open and i suddenly find i get about 50 requests ��
Mrs T (1st September 2016), pault (1st September 2016)
Old 1st September 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboo View Post
If you find something u need i can always pop into the london store as i pass it probably once a week i dont mind helping folks on here i can always ups it then. PS as long as flood gates dont open and i suddenly find i get about 50 requests ��
Thank you timboo, that's a very kind offer!
Old 3rd September 2016

Liked 215 Times in 75 Posts
Re: Bad experiences with Park Cameras (Moved to Dealers' Den)

I have nothing but praise for PK and would recommend them to anybody.

Speak as one finds....!
Old 14th December 2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Bad experiences with Park Cameras (Moved to Dealers' Den)

I too have had bad experience from Park Cameras mail order. On the contrary the customer service from the London store was excellent!! Guess they are struggling with mail-order expansion.