Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus Pen-F

Olympus Pen-F The first Pen to integrate an electronic viewfinder

Old 6th December 2016

Liked 2,648 Times in 939 Posts
Minor problem with my new Pen F

My new Pen F has a minor issue and I'm wondering whether to send it back for a replacement or not. The base plate on one end has lost its adhesion to the body underneath. Tapping it sounds hollow and if you press it there is a small amount of movement (fractions of a mm). I've got a half case on order so TBH
I'll never notice it in practice since the base will be covered.

I bought it online from LCE but it's the Plymouth store who shipped and I'm really not wild about returning it so close to Christmas. I doubt my local LCE can deal with it since they run as independent businesses AFAIK. Part of me thinks it's such a minor issue so live with it; part of me thinks return it. Opinions?
Old 6th December 2016

Liked 79 Times in 56 Posts
Re: Minor problem with my new Pen F

How would you feel if the plate continued to become more and more detached? That may well happen so I would be inclined to return it.
Old 6th December 2016

Liked 48 Times in 41 Posts

Same here. After I read your post I went and double checked what I already knew - there is absolutely no play with the base plate at all of my own Pen F.

Having said that, I am not quite sure about Olympus' rationale in designing that seamless base plate for the Pen F. I would have been just as happy with a more conventional one like the OMD EM5 II.

Since you asked for an opinion, I would definitely have returned it. It may be my OCD with such things, but even a minor flaw like that bugs me and every time I picked-up the camera I would (almost) involuntarily pressing it, thus making it worse over time.

I have a feeling that LCE's work together and you can liaise with both of them to make the swap easier.
Old 6th December 2016

Thanks for the opinions. You've convinced me to return it (I was leaning that way too!). I'll call the local LCE tomorrow and see what they can do first.
Old 6th December 2016

Liked 235 Times in 149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Thanks for the opinions. You've convinced me to return it (I was leaning that way too!). I'll call the local LCE tomorrow and see what they can do first.
Paul,

I would return it too, as annoying as it may be to be without it better to have peace of mind. Although essentially franchises LCE work together and will 'inter-branch' ship so it should be no problem to have it sorted via your closest LCE, in your case Leamington Spa if I am correct.

I see no reason for you to be without a PEN-F for long as availability is good and Christmas if still far enough off for it to not be an issue. I would expect a replacement early next week at the latest.

Kind regards, Simon
Old 7th December 2016

Liked 31 Times in 22 Posts

Strange how infectious the little seed of doubt is. Having read this thread I had to check my Pen-F which I have been happily using since March. First of course I had to find an Allen key because I have the grip attached while I am using the new 12-100 f4 Pro lens. Anyway having gone to all that trouble I can confirm that the baseplate feels rock solid with no movement or "give". The concensus seems to be to send it back for replacement.
Old 9th December 2016

Liked 646 Times in 363 Posts

Yes, I think you should certainly get it sorted.

I'm sure they'll see you OK, Paul.

I've bought and sold quite a few things with their branches over the years and never had a hint of a problem: far from it.

I've just part-exchanged my 35mm E-mount Zeiss Loxia for a Canon 24mm tilt-shift at their Strand branch, and not only is the TS-E indistinguishable from new (they described it as 'excellent', but even being super-picky I'd call it at worst mint-) but they gave me exactly as much for the Loxia as I'd been asking privately.

------------------------------
Olympus E-M1ii x2: 7-14, 12-100, 40-150, 45, 60, 75, 300, 1.4tc.
Panasonic 12-35, 15. Samyang 7.5 fisheye.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70.
Old 9th December 2016

I went to LCE in Leamington and they were superb. No argument at all about replacing it and they will sort it all out for me. Replacement on order for next week and I get to keep this one until it arrives.

Fantastic customer service. I can recommended them unreservedly based on this experience.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (9th December 2016), Ian (9th December 2016), Loup Garou (9th December 2016), Ross the fiddler (9th December 2016), Simon Bee (9th December 2016)
Old 9th December 2016

Liked 235 Times in 149 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
I went to LCE in Leamington and they were superb. No argument at all about replacing it and they will sort it all out for me. Replacement on order for next week and I get to keep this one until it arrives.

Fantastic customer service. I can recommended them unreservedly based on this experience.
Great news Paul, and great service allowing you to hold onto the existing one until it's replacement arrives.

This is yet another reason for supporting long standing proper bricks 'n mortar stores ...... good old fashioned customer service that is worth far more than saving a 'few quid' buying off internet only sellers

Kind regards, Simon
Ian (9th December 2016), yorky (10th December 2016)
Old 9th December 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Bee View Post
Great news Paul, and great service allowing you to hold onto the existing one until it's replacement arrives.

This is yet another reason for supporting long standing proper bricks 'n mortar stores ...... good old fashioned customer service that is worth far more than saving a 'few quid' buying off internet only sellers

Kind regards, Simon
Yes, I totally agree Simon. What with LPs now outselling digital downloads I wonder if it's a case of back to the future!
The Following User Liked This Post:
Simon Bee (9th December 2016)