Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 23rd November 2016

Liked 10 Times in 2 Posts
Olympus Capture with USB active cable extention?

Hi all

just wondering if anyone's used one of these USB active cable extensions while shooting tethered using Olympus Capture?

My Olympus cable is quite short and I'm doing a studio shoot (with a model) where we have to shoot tethered.

Anybody tried these cables? do they work reliably with Olympus Capture or are they a waste of money?

The cable I bought: https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapt...ion-cable-p493

I use an OMD-EM1 with 45mm f1.8 lens both with the latest firmware. My laptop is a Mac with the latest OSX.

thx
DK

Last edited by dkayuk; 23rd November 2016 at 02:47 PM. Reason: add cable URL
Old 23rd November 2016

Liked 228 Times in 120 Posts
Re: Olympus Capture with USB active cable extention?

I use an non active 5m usb extension cable to a laptop USB 3 port for astrophotography. The camera is on a tracker outside and me and my laptop are in the shed near a heater My laptop is a low spec dual core ASUS running W10 and I am pushing it to run Oly Capture and Oly Viewer 3. I use on the time lapse mode and it saves the frames to card and an external drive also USB3. I have not experience any download / control problems using this longer cable.

OM-D E-M1, 12-40 f2.8 Pro, Tamron 14-150mm f5.8, E5, E3, Zuiko 50-200mm SWD, Zuiko 12-60mm SWD, Zuiko ED 70-300mm f5.6, 50mmf2, Zuiko ED 9-18mm f5.6, Sigma 50-500mm f6.3, EC14, EC20, RM-1, VA-1
Old 23rd November 2016
Administrator

Liked 935 Times in 573 Posts

I too use a 5m extension lead, with no problems at all.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 28th November 2016

thank you all.

I did my studio shoot and the cable seemed to work OK. However, I had to restart the laptop (it was a Mac) when images stopped coming in, I think that the camera-end of the cable came lose a couple of times.

Overall it was much better than not having any tethering facility at all and if the camera was always on a tripod, it would have been ideal.

I used it in conjunction with the watched folder facility in Adobe Lightroom CC and that part worked quite nicely.

The one thing that is really annoying is the RRS L-bracket which makes the USB socket inaccessible, especially when shooting in portrait format

David
Old 29th November 2016

Thanked 1,014 Times in 797 Posts
Liked 1,061 Times in 661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkayuk View Post
thank you all.

I did my studio shoot and the cable seemed to work OK. However, I had to restart the laptop (it was a Mac) when images stopped coming in, I think that the camera-end of the cable came lose a couple of times.

Overall it was much better than not having any tethering facility at all and if the camera was always on a tripod, it would have been ideal.

I used it in conjunction with the watched folder facility in Adobe Lightroom CC and that part worked quite nicely.

The one thing that is really annoying is the RRS L-bracket which makes the USB socket inaccessible, especially when shooting in portrait format

David
You need one of these to use on the L bracket.

Or a universal L bracket that allows the room for the cable to hang out the side or rather, out the bottom when mounted vertically. That height adapter is too shoot for the USB cable's plug though with the standard L bracket, but the one above works well.

And there are others designs as well.

On the cable, I do know another user that has tried the active 10m cale for tethering & I bought one too, but have not been that game to try it. The 5m cable works fine though.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 2nd December 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross the fiddler View Post
You need one of these to use on the L bracket.

Or a universal L bracket that allows the room for the cable to hang out the side or rather, out the bottom when mounted vertically. That height adapter is too shoot for the USB cable's plug though with the standard L bracket, but the one above works well.

And there are others designs as well.

On the cable, I do know another user that has tried the active 10m cale for tethering & I bought one too, but have not been that game to try it. The 5m cable works fine though.
many thanks Ross, I have now ordered the height adjuster from amazon
DK