Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > Flash

Flash FL-related discussions can be found here.

Old 17th June 2016

Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Re: Macro flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
Mike,

Polarisers only work with reflections in one plane. With uneven surfaces, droplets, etc., the remedial effect maybe minimal. (With actual metallic surfaces it may be zero). My subject matter for macro rarely requires polarisers, but I always purchased the best I could afford.

Harold
Good morning HAROLD, yes I agree with the proviso that it helps with sun in the right position, my understanding is that the original author was taking his photos of the dragon in the crucifix position during the day. Not many dragons hang around for a second shot if you mess up the first attempt with flash. In general dragons depending on the time lapse from emergence you can stand a better chance the earlier in the morning as possible for flash.

I have hinted at staying away from cheaper polarisers to the author. I found the Olympus 60mm macro to effect macro, IE one to one ratio. You have to get much to close to the subject. I don't even use my canon 100mm IS either preferring a 180mm macro to allow some distance from subject,most dragons would be off with a large white type diffuser and flash as well as a large predator coming at them. The downside of a 180 is weight, which for me is quite a priority therefore I chose the Tamron 180 mm. My go to kit for dragons is :- em1 metabones tamron 180 (canon fit) for close up or macro
And a Canon 7d2 with 300L prime. The latter is for DIF and distance if I do not think the subject is confiding enough, a slow cautious aproach is used until about a metre from the subject where by the em1/ tamron takes over.

Fortunately everyone does what they need to do to get the shot and it's good to hear what others do
Kind regards Mike

http://www.wingsofnature.org/
Old 17th June 2016

Liked 1,348 Times in 764 Posts

Mike,

On the morning shoot aspect, I have been finding Danceflies in my garden on the last two mornings but not in the afternoons. This is from a small sample of encounters but worth noting.

I shot a very special insect today. See tomorrow's upload.

Harold
Old 18th June 2016

Liked 411 Times in 253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
Mike,

Polarisers only work with reflections in one plane. With uneven surfaces, droplets, etc., the remedial effect maybe minimal. (With actual metallic surfaces it may be zero). My subject matter for macro rarely requires polarisers, but I always purchased the best I could afford.

Harold
Hi there Harold!

I have spotted on ebay several times recently polarisers from olympus for the film camera ring flashes which have two polarisers - on for the flash and another (presumably set at 90 degrees) for the lens. Have you ever tried these and if so do they give any advantage? I'm slightly tempted since the cost of the old oly ring flash kits isn't too prohibitive, and the 60mm macro should shoot through the centre ok with no vignetting. The dual polarisers are probably the most expensive part of the kit at 60.

Cheers,

Ralph.

PS here's a link to ebay for one :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OLYMPUS-OM...oAAOSwciVXP5lc

Last edited by Ralph Harwood; 18th June 2016 at 09:52 PM. Reason: added link
Old 19th June 2016

Liked 1,348 Times in 764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Harwood View Post
Hi there Harold!

I have spotted on ebay several times recently polarisers from olympus for the film camera ring flashes which have two polarisers - on for the flash and another (presumably set at 90 degrees) for the lens. Have you ever tried these and if so do they give any advantage? I'm slightly tempted since the cost of the old oly ring flash kits isn't too prohibitive, and the 60mm macro should shoot through the centre ok with no vignetting. The dual polarisers are probably the most expensive part of the kit at 60.

Cheers,

Ralph.
Ralph,

a) I have a set

b) It was years before I found one I could afford

c) I have never used them seriously, mainly because my subjects don't really need them.

d) Consider the thickness taking up working distance, as with ring flash in the first place. This was my major reason for not using them, just as I now avoid using ring flash for digital macro.

e) Beware of the polariser coating separating away, as it had done with my first set.

f) These will not help you with jewellery photography.

g) The fitting is for 49mm filter thread.

h) Grab a set while you can, if the price is right?

Harold
Ralph Harwood (19th June 2016)