Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 10th February 2016

Thanked 1,002 Times in 788 Posts
Liked 1,039 Times in 647 Posts
Re: Same or different final prints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul19 View Post
Thanks Ross, BUT you confuse me quoting Graham as it is an 8 bit jpeg file (from RAW) that is finally printed???
Can I ask you on what printing process or printer are you wanting to print on & at what size & what sort of image? It sounds like you might be trying to get the best from a commercial printing company perhaps?

I quoted Graham as I was just covering my but. OV3 will produce a more compressed JPEG than the camera's LSF JPEG would be but a program like Capture One can be set to save it at less compression.
Lenses: M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, ZD12-60 SWD, ZD50-200 SWD, EC14, EC20, EX25, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
Old 10th February 2016

Liked 874 Times in 354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul19 View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies and information.
I think I now know the answer, but it has not been stated.
So, for an answer to my original question, in the following summary can it be answered as yes' or 'no'?

A) * I take a photo with RAW + Jpeg SFN
* without looking at the Jpeg I use the RAW image to work on (because it has all the detail the camera gathered and it isn't lossy)
* I manipulate the image to make it mine.
* As I want to print my masterpiece I now save it as a Jpeg

B) * In the meantime the camera also had the RAW image in its engine
* The camera looked at any parameters I had set (e.g. Picture Mode, contrast, gradation, sharpness, saturation)
* with my presets (and any the camera also adds) the camera makes a Jpeg image

C) * I now have my Jpeg from RAW and Jpeg from camera
* I compare them, and...Can it be?? both images are identical!!
* I print them both
* So the QUESTION is, "Will the two printed images look the same?"
The answer is..it depends.

If your raw converter is is not the Olympus one then the answer is no because each raw converter has it own colour profile for that make of camera that will differ from the Olympus one. Even if you get it looking close or some of the colours to match exactly vthere will be subtle differences in some of the colours, just try putting the rgb colour eyedropper over the same colours in each image to see what I mean
I fusing the Olympus raw converter and not altering any of the setting you will get the exact same image.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paul_silk/
The Following User Says Thank You to OlyPaul For This Useful Post:
Paul19 (10th February 2016)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Paul19 (10th February 2016)
Old 10th February 2016
Administrator

Liked 884 Times in 549 Posts

By way of determining what comes out of the various programs OV3, PS, LR, etc., I may have a play with the old Windows "Print to File" and look at what comes out of each package.

However:

"If you use the Print to file option, Windows saves the formatting and layout information of your file so a printer can reproduce the document without the program or computer that created it. There are several reasons to do this:

You don't have a printer handy but want to archive a document and print it later.

You want to send a document or photo to a commercial printer.

You want to send a document to someone who has the same printer, but doesn't have the program you used to create the document.

However, Print to file has several limitations. It's a relic from the days of DOS, and it's primarily designed for parallel printers. It doesn't work easily on newer USB printers. Also, the computer used to print the saved file must have the same printer driver installed as the computer used to create the file.
"

I very much expect there to be considerable differences from that various sources, as they all do things different, just by the very nature of being from different manufacturers. I expect PS & LR are even different, despite being the same maker.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 10th February 2016

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Thank you all - it's been an interesting learning...almost like photographing in colour - infinite variables.