Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Legacy Lenses

Legacy Lenses Discuss the use of older lenses, using adapters, from the Olympus OM system, Leica M and R-series, and the millions of others too.

Old 5th January 2016

Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Pentax Auto 110 lenses....

These are what got me into Micro-four thirds and my first purchase of an Oly body- the E-PL1. I'd had this tiny SLR kit from film days and wanted to explore the use of the lovely fixed aperture lenses on digital. Got an adaptor and a few years down the line here I am Recently bought a Lensbaby set of discs with varying apertures to experiment with, but need to make a spacer so that the discs don't slide around inside the adaptor. Just another retirement project !
Old 5th January 2016

Liked 568 Times in 329 Posts
Re: Pentax Auto 110 lenses....

Fascinating: I'd forgotten about the Pentax 110 system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_Auto_110

------------------------------
Olympus E-M1i and ii, E-M5ii & too much m4/3 glass.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7Rii.
The Following User Says Thank You to drmarkf For This Useful Post:
Minniesmum (5th January 2016)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Minniesmum (5th January 2016)
Old 5th January 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
Fascinating: I'd forgotten about the Pentax 110 system: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentax_Auto_110
It was fascinating ! The let-down was the film as the lenses are optically superb.
Old 9th January 2016

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Three to four years ago, these 110 lenses became very popular amongst legacy lens users and prices for the rarer ones (70mm f2.8 especially) went to silly levels. Before they really took off, I picked up the 18mm, 24mm and 50mm cheaply with a camera and used the camera flange to make my own adapter with an aperture from an old enlarger lens. I found the 18mm and 24mm to excellent in the centre but to have pretty poor edge performance unless well stopped down. You can see a thread I started on MFLenses here:

http://forum.mflenses.com/another-pe...ax+%2B110.html

So, whilst the extraordinary dinky-ness of the lenses had its appeal, I thought they were overrated and never got the highly regarded 70mm. After I made my own adapter, someone started to market an adapter with an aperture, though I am not sure if that is still available. Early samples had problems with infinity focus. See

http://forum.mflenses.com/pentax-110...ce-t48915.html

I think the bubble on these lenses has now burst and, 18 months or so ago, I picked up the elusive 70mm at a sensible price (about 15 I think, compared to 50 to 70 at the peak). I then found that my original DIY adapter would not give me infinity with the 70mm so I set about making a new adapter.

I used an aperture with 10 blades from an old folder camera lens to give me a nice round aperture. I actually made a Pentax 110 mount to c-mount adapter and then used a normal c-mount to m4/3 adapter (with 200m or so shaved off to get me infinity). This allows me to put a small c-mount extension ring in for close focus (something the longer lenses lack natively). It all fits together nicely (though there is no lens lock with my adapter that doesn't really matter with lenses this small).

I have to confess, though, that I have never taken a serious picture with the new adapter and 70mm lens!! Seeing this thread has brought this all back to me. I will have to give that 70mm lens a serious test. if only the weather weren't so awful at the moment...

Mark
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark_R2 For This Useful Post:
Minniesmum (9th January 2016)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (9th January 2016), Minniesmum (9th January 2016)
Old 9th January 2016

Thanks Mark for posting your experiences I've not played around with these lenses for a few months since getting the set of Lensbaby aperture discs , so yes I'll be adding them to my long list of stuff to re-try. Will check out your postings on the mflenses forum as well. I managed to get the 70 mm and the Pan-focus - which was pretty useless at f2.8 as it's fixed focus but at the wrong focal length for micro-four thirds so everything is slightly blurred. Thanks again for your informative reply !