Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion

Nostalgia Nexus - early and pre-digital discussion Want to discuss the really early days of digital and even film - here is the place for you.

Old 28th April 2015

Liked 43 Times in 20 Posts
Having ago old school-film

For a while a have fancied having ago with film again. Knowing my son had still got a camera I gave I asked him to let me borrow it. I was surprised at how much stuff I had given him. Some new batteries and everything works. Put some film in and have a go.

OM40, 50mm f1.8, 135mm f3.5, 35-70mm f3.5-4.5, Tamron 28mm Tamron 70-250mm

OM707 50mm 35-70mm

www.dncphotography.co.uk
The Following Users Liked This Post:
raymondo (13th November 2015), Ross the fiddler (28th April 2015)
Old 28th April 2015

Thanked 1,032 Times in 990 Posts
Liked 606 Times in 452 Posts
Re: Having ago old school-film

A nice collection of kit. I never got around to playing with an OM707, how does it handle?
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Old 28th April 2015

Liked 916 Times in 553 Posts

I have often thought of using film again, but when I look at the cost of developing and scanning to high definition, it brings me back to earth. Recurring cost could be reduced if required, eg bulk film, home developing, scanner etc - but only sensible if you're doing it big time, otherwise it's quite expensive, and for what gain?

on flickr
Old 28th April 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
A nice collection of kit. I never got around to playing with an OM707, how does it handle?
OM707 isn't that bad, typically Olympus got into auto-focus late, well other than not having auto-focus the OM4 was a great camera. I had two.
I find the OM707 handles OK. auto-focus isn't ground breaking but for it's time it was OK. I have had some good images from one. Decided I wanted to have a go again with film as with a film of 24 or 36 frame you have to treat every shot with careful consideration, something we don't do with digital. I do have a scanner which will do film so my intention is to scan the negatives into Lightroom just have the prints for references.

www.dncphotography.co.uk
The Following User Says Thank You to DerekC For This Useful Post:
OM USer (28th April 2015)
Old 28th April 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
I have often thought of using film again, but when I look at the cost of developing and scanning to high definition, it brings me back to earth. Recurring cost could be reduced if required, eg bulk film, home developing, scanner etc - but only sensible if you're doing it big time, otherwise it's quite expensive, and for what gain?
Steve, The gain for me is although I could do it will digital, I want to force myself to consider each shot. You may only have 36 shot for the day!

www.dncphotography.co.uk
Old 28th April 2015

Derek,
Limited resources tends to focus the mind more, so 36 capture opportunities in a day could be beneficial, I agree. With digital there can be a spray and pray attitude, but I find that seldom works. I still have the mental attitude, as a hang over from my film days, to make each shot count, so take relatively few in digital. If the shot looks iffy, I don't press the release.
I've read on various forums of individuals taking thousands of shots 'on a good shoot' but that begs the question, is it quality or quanity that defines a good shoot.

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
benvendetta (8th May 2015)
Old 28th April 2015

Steve,
I agree with you that spray and pray doesn't work. As I have the chance to use film I decided to give it a try again. I try not to but as I do a lot of motorsport, it is all to easy to take many photos during the day. I do find with E-M1 the shutter button is so sensitive, you can't if using continuous take one frame it will also take at least two. I can take one frame with the E-5 on continuous.
Part of this is my frustration with the poor AF performance of the E-M1. I'm really bored with the camera, so wanted to channel my photography differently. Set myself a challenge only a couple of rolls of film for the day.
It may not work I might get bored with all the extra work but I want to try.

www.dncphotography.co.uk
Old 28th April 2015

Derek,
I find that AF can be quite deceptive, speaking personally. It's all too easy to get that beep confirmation and assume the camera has focused on bore sight with the brain, only to be disappointed when reviewing in PP.
Reflecting on my days with manual everything cameras, ie 35 film, few of my shots were ill focused, but exposure was another matter, that came good with practice.
I can see the reason to go back to film, although there are manual digital cameras available with proper dedicated knobs for each major control, but no names and therefore no pack drill as a result.

on flickr
Old 28th April 2015

Liked 66 Times in 46 Posts

On club had an abortive attempt at a slide competition a couple of years ago. It was nice to get back to the old ways for a single roll of film, but the company that was going to process all the slides for us on the cheap, held them waiting for the next time their E7 machine was in use. I beleive the films are still waiting!

As a chemist I feel I have to have a go at home processing sometime. The way things are going it may end up being after I retire, but some of the early processes could be quite interesting to explore with my 4x5 camera... that will of course require a complete change of pace from shooting motorsport!
Old 28th April 2015

Liked 1,023 Times in 636 Posts

I shoot less frames with digital than film not needing to make in camera dopes.
Old 7th May 2015

Liked 1,468 Times in 577 Posts

Show us some results Derek I have some film I should get out and shoot with.

I rather like MF myself. I will leave macro to my digital cameras though.
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Old 8th May 2015

Liked 260 Times in 178 Posts

My club still has a couple of slide comps per year inclluding Slide of thr Year, in which I came first and second. Only used the one film though but it does make you think about every shot.

E-M1, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-7, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 13th November 2015

Liked 1,007 Times in 690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Derek,
Limited resources tends to focus the mind more, so 36 capture opportunities in a day could be beneficial, I agree. With digital there can be a spray and pray attitude, but I find that seldom works. I still have the mental attitude, as a hang over from my film days, to make each shot count, so take relatively few in digital. If the shot looks iffy, I don't press the release.
I've read on various forums of individuals taking thousands of shots 'on a good shoot' but that begs the question, is it quality or quanity that defines a good shoot.
I find that if I take a series of photographs on a digital camera the first is invariably the best. Subconsciously I think the others are 'just in case' shots.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 14th November 2015

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

A VERY nice ensemble there Derek, hope the seals are all good before you enthusiastically put rolls of expensive film through them; I think I still have the film mentality too; I try to make every shot count - I'm going to do a 'seals and de-foam' job on my OM-2n before I use it, and have a couple of rolls of FP4+ and HP5+ in anticipation. In the meantime I am out & about with the E-M5, along with a 12-50EZ that came my way for sensible (more versatile than the original 14-42), and I found a very clean MIJ for the OM2 to replace the anachronistic 'Silvernose' (which gives me a reason/excuse to buy an early OM-1 body to pair it with...)
With such lovely useable analogue equipment available Derek, it would be a shame not to give it some use, and I'm looking forward to seeing the fruits of your return to 35mm!
Old 14th November 2015

Liked 1,007 Times in 690 Posts

I have just received five rolls of Velvia 120 roll film back from Peak Imaging, three of which I ran through my 'new' RZ76 Pro II.

I have to say I am absolutely blown away by the quality of the 6 x 7 images, which as would be expected is even better than from my Mamiya 645. I also processed a few rolls of FP4+ the other night, although they don't have quite the same 'wow factor' as the Velvia.

It is wonderful to be able to buy so much camera for so little money, and to be able to achieve such amazing results.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing