Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Lens focus > Legacy Lenses

Legacy Lenses Discuss the use of older lenses, using adapters, from the Olympus OM system, Leica M and R-series, and the millions of others too.

Old 12th November 2014

Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts
Legacy lens help please?

I've decided to sell a couple of my "legacy" lenses to help fund a new camera purchase, but I've hit a problem, I think? Then again, I may just be being thick (it's not unknown!)

The first is an Olympus OM F.Zuiko Auto-S 1:1.8 f=50mm with OM mount. I've been using this with an adapter to allow me to use it with my e510/e520 with great results.

My problem is that I can only open and close the aperture when the adapter is attached...without it, it just stays wide open. It works absolutely fine on my cameras, but without the adapter it just stays open. I really want to keep the adapter as I have a few more OM lenses that I like to use...

The other lens is a Zeiss Pentacon 1.8/50 with M42 mount. This one I can't check at the moment as I've mislaid the adapter but I know it's working fine as I used it just last weekend. Although I know it's working beautifully, I can't put it up for sale without photos. I suspect I've left the adapter in the woods!

I'm also selling a Zeiss Sonnar 135mm but this one seems to be OK without being attached to the camera and I can open and close the aperture with no problems.

Confused? You bet!

Any ideas?

Old 12th November 2014

Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
Re: Legacy lens help please?

Your OM 50mm is probably fine when you attach it to an adapter or camera it engages a pin which allows the aperture to be selected. If you look at your lens near the mount there are also two little buttons if you press these you will be able to select the aperture also. Hope this helps.

Steve
Old 12th November 2014

Liked 38 Times in 20 Posts

Thank you Steve...that's the problem sorted with the OM!

Blindingly obvious when you know what you're doing!

Janet

Old 13th November 2014

Thanked 1,017 Times in 976 Posts
Liked 594 Times in 443 Posts

The pin (lever) allows you (on an OM camera) to select the aperture to be used and adjust focus with the aperture wide open (giving you a bright viewfinder). When you press the shutter the camera moves the lever on the lens which shuts the aperture (stops down) to the desired level. Zuiko lenses have the famous depth of field button on the side so that you can manually close the shutter to visually see the depth of field effect.

The adapter for mirrorless cameras permanently engages the stop down feature allowing the camera to adjust exposure (in aperture priority mode) according to the set aperture but at the expense of darkening the image as of course you are letting less light in at all times and not just when actually pressing the shutter.
Old 15th November 2014

Liked 1,035 Times in 594 Posts

Here is how I dealt with it:

http://www.photomacrography.net/foru...ic.php?t=18243

Harold