Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 27th October 2013

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts
E-M1 concerns.

I am reading many posts describing problems with the IBIS and lock-ups on the E-M1 as I wait patiently for my 12-40 kit to arrive. I understand now that I probably won't be getting mine until towards the end of November. I thus assume that production is probably working flat out to meet demand.
What therefore concerns me is, are Olympus addressing the faults manifesting in the E-M1 in the current production run. Because I would be extremely unhappy to receive a camera for which I paid nearly 2000 two months in advance with a known fault. In which case I for one would prefer to wait for a "fixed" camera rather than have to experience the problems and inconvenience other early adopters are sadly suffering.
It would be reassuring to hear that Olympus working on a fix.

Steve

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
The Following User Says Thank You to paullus For This Useful Post:
jamsa (27th October 2013)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
jamsa (27th October 2013), The Saint (27th October 2013)
Old 27th October 2013
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts
Re: E-M1 concerns.

I've got to say that my one lock-up has failed to repeat itself. I did try to replicate the conditions yesterday, but all was well. And other, more vociferous, forums are quiet on this issue.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
brian1208 (27th October 2013), paullus (27th October 2013)
The Following User Liked This Post:
brian1208 (27th October 2013)
Old 27th October 2013

Liked 1,326 Times in 625 Posts

I'm not convinced this is a generic problem Steve, as Stephen said, its too quiet out there in the wilder reaches of the forums for there to be a common fault
Old 27th October 2013

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paullus View Post
I am reading many posts describing problems with the IBIS and lock-ups on the E-M1 as I wait patiently for my 12-40 kit to arrive. I understand now that I probably won't be getting mine until towards the end of November. I thus assume that production is probably working flat out to meet demand.
What therefore concerns me is, are Olympus addressing the faults manifesting in the E-M1 in the current production run. Because I would be extremely unhappy to receive a camera for which I paid nearly 2000 two months in advance with a known fault. In which case I for one would prefer to wait for a "fixed" camera rather than have to experience the problems and inconvenience other early adopters are sadly suffering.
It would be reassuring to hear that Olympus working on a fix.

Steve
I have to agree 100% with you and have been on various threads here with some concerns. With cameras only days and weeks old with some issues there are many more "out there" who may have had as yet unreported problems. It would be very odd if the only issues are the few "E users" on this forum. If they have been sold in low numbers ( due to demand) then the faulted ones consist of a higher percentage ( not good news) alternatively the quality control hasn't been great and cameras that Olympus would not want to be sold, have been...also not great.
Your last sentence is spot on, ("It would be reassuring to hear that Olympus working on a fix.") but in the meantime I will be amending my order tomorrow and no longer risking 2000!!
Old 27th October 2013

Liked 1,419 Times in 320 Posts

I've had my E-M1 since 5th October and to date the camera has worked perfectly, no problems with lock ups or ibis.

I've tested all of my lenses from the Bigma to the ZD 9-18 and I've been more than happy with how it's performed.

I tested the camera tethered to an ipad several times, each time for at least two hours, again it did all I asked of it.

I realise that I haven't tried tracking and photographing moving subjects as yet therefore, I may not have put the camera under the stresses required to cause the problems however, as mentioned previously, my E-M1 seems fine.

Dave
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DavyG For This Useful Post:
bilbo (27th October 2013), brian1208 (29th October 2013), Grumpy Hec (29th October 2013), paullus (29th October 2013)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
bilbo (27th October 2013), brian1208 (29th October 2013)
Old 27th October 2013

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Can I ask why you paid for the camera two months in advance? Normally you pay a small deposit which sometimes might not be returnable if you change your mind.
Old 27th October 2013

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Can I ask why you paid for the camera two months in advance? Normally you pay a small deposit which sometimes might not be returnable if you change your mind.
Some folk ordered the camera in advance and payments were taken by some retailers and Olympus within days...things were compounded by un-forecast delays in getting the cameras.
My large deposit was taken 24 hrs after I ordered the camera kit in mid Sept....I was told last week not to expect the camera until towards the end of November. (As previously said I am sorting that tmw).
Old 27th October 2013

Liked 78 Times in 40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Olympus Shop took the full amount from my card on 30th September.
The explanation being, to secure the order. Apparently if the payment isn't applied for within a specified period, 28 days I think the order would be voided and have to placed again.

Steve

https://picasaweb.google.com/tagbartok/

This is to remind myself that I'm sitting indoors instead of out there taking photos!
Old 27th October 2013

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Yes 30 days after the order was placed:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...g-regulations/
Old 27th October 2013

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Well they should not have taken your money that early. Just that I am ex photographic retail and it annoys me when this happens to people:

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-righ...g-regulations/
The Following User Says Thank You to Stu For This Useful Post:
Xenon (29th October 2013)
jamsa (27th October 2013)
Old 29th October 2013

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyG View Post
I've had my E-M1 since 5th October and to date the camera has worked perfectly, no problems with lock ups or ibis.

I've tested all of my lenses from the Bigma to the ZD 9-18 and I've been more than happy with how it's performed.

I tested the camera tethered to an ipad several times, each time for at least two hours, again it did all I asked of it.

I realise that I haven't tried tracking and photographing moving subjects as yet therefore, I may not have put the camera under the stresses required to cause the problems however, as mentioned previously, my E-M1 seems fine.

Dave
Hi Dave
I have just tried my four third lenses and was not impressed . I must admit I had AF single point large And have now changed to small and will Try again tomorrow.
My 7-14 was worst would not lock on to anything unless there's was a large contrast area. My normal landscape technique is to focus one third into the scene and recompose that was impossible unless there was a large contrast area there which the camera could focus on ,this would not be the case very often.
The 50-200 again needed large contrast area but was a bit better . The big surprise was how good the Bigma was I was expecting it to be the worst but it focused nearly as quick as the e5
If you have a setting that works best please let me know as confidence is a bit low at this stage.
I have to add I am using the MMF 1 just wondering if that is the problem as the manual says MMF 2/3 however I thought they were only contact adapters
Cheers
John
Old 29th October 2013
Grumpy Member

Liked 539 Times in 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsa View Post
Some folk ordered the camera in advance and payments were taken by some retailers and Olympus within days...things were compounded by un-forecast delays in getting the cameras.
My large deposit was taken 24 hrs after I ordered the camera kit in mid Sept....I was told last week not to expect the camera until towards the end of November. (As previously said I am sorting that tmw).
Just to complete the picture I ordered my body with grip and mmf-3 on 11 Sept. My card, via PayPal, was debited for the full amount at the time of the order. To be precise 12:42 on 11th Sept.

I will not go over very well trodden ground again on the rest of the story.

However I can report that according to the excellent Andre at the Olympus shop I should have my complete order this Friday. Whether or not I get it before lunchtime when I leave to go to Yorkshire for the weekend is unknown.

Assuming it does arrive then it will be seven weeks since order and payment.

Hec
Old 29th October 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,651 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Hi Dave
I have just tried my four third lenses and was not impressed . I must admit I had AF single point large And have now changed to small and will Try again tomorrow.
My 7-14 was worst would not lock on to anything unless there's was a large contrast area. My normal landscape technique is to focus one third into the scene and recompose that was impossible unless there was a large contrast area there which the camera could focus on ,this would not be the case very often.
The 50-200 again needed large contrast area but was a bit better . The big surprise was how good the Bigma was I was expecting it to be the worst but it focused nearly as quick as the e5
If you have a setting that works best please let me know as confidence is a bit low at this stage.
I have to add I am using the MMF 1 just wondering if that is the problem as the manual says MMF 2/3 however I thought they were only contact adapters
Cheers
John
This is quite contrary to the vast majority of experiences, including mine. There has to be something not normal with your setup.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian For This Useful Post:
ozzie (29th October 2013)
Old 29th October 2013
Administrator

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,232 Posts
Liked 1,651 Times in 739 Posts

I can't speak for retail dealers but as for the Olympus online shop, their system deletes orders that have not been paid for after one month. Most orders would have expired this way without payment being accepted because initial supplies were later than expected.

I don't believe there would be any problem in you getting your money back if you no longer wanted to be in the waiting list.

It's not ideal but although there have been quite a few comments on this I don't hear many reports of people choosing to get their money refunded.

Ian
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
bredman (29th October 2013)
Old 29th October 2013

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Does seem strange. have used the larger focus area with a 14-54mm and the only way I could not get it to lock was on really low contrast subjects or a horizontal line. Then I just look for something else at the same distance to focus on and reframe the shot. I am also using the MMF-1.