Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark 2

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark 2 The second generation smallest and lightest Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 23rd January 2019

Liked 410 Times in 198 Posts
UHS-II SD cards on the E-M10ii?

Anyone using the faster, more expensive UHS-II cards?

Considering getting some new memory cards as I've recently discovered my current crop of 16GB cards are slow (labelled 20MB/s and 80MB/s).
It would be nice if the camera previewed and shut down a little quicker, esp. when it's using the 20MB/s cards.

The E-M10ii is compatible with UHS-II according to the manual.

The E-M10i was tested here and gave 32MB/s write with UHS-I cards but wasn't tested with II

https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/ol...sd-card-tests/

They also tested the E-M5ii which is earlier than the E-M10ii and it shows 70-80MB/s with UHS-II cards

https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/ol...rd-comparison/

Seems likely that faster cards would be worth the extra money but nothing beats a real world user.
Old 23rd January 2019

Liked 1,485 Times in 558 Posts
Re: UHS-II SD cards on the E-M10ii?

I use a SDi 90MB/s card in slot 2 of the EM1ii and a 300MB/s card in slot 1, the only time the slot 2 card has been an issue is after firing massive bursts off at the daft 60fps rate, then it takes a while to empty the camera memory buffer.

I don't think the cost of the 300MB/s cards are worth it unless all you do is masses of ultra high speed work and lots of video, the 90MB/s card seems OK 99.9% of the time (and is significantly cheaper!)

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
The Following User Liked This Post:
AMc (23rd January 2019)
Old 23rd January 2019

Amazon have Lexar 150MB/s 32GB cards for £24.
That’s £10 more than a £14 Sandisk 95MB/s card - not a massive amount.
I’m not looking at the 300MB/s cards due to cost.

I can see advantages of the very fast cards on the E-M1ii with its monster burst rates. I’m primarily interested in better preview and especially shut down speed. At the moment with my slower cards it can take a few seconds before the zoom lens retracts and I can put the camera away. Hardly a massive problem I’ll admit
Old 23rd January 2019

Liked 1,485 Times in 558 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMc View Post
Amazon have Lexar 150MB/s 32GB cards for £24.
Thatís £10 more than a £14 Sandisk 95MB/s card - not a massive amount.
Iím not looking at the 300MB/s cards due to cost.

I can see advantages of the very fast cards on the E-M1ii with its monster burst rates. Iím primarily interested in better preview and especially shut down speed. At the moment with my slower cards it can take a few seconds before the zoom lens retracts and I can put the camera away. Hardly a massive problem Iíll admit
I was trying to say the 90MB/s card is fine! Just went around the houses to get there!

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
AMc (24th January 2019)
Old 24th January 2019

Sure - My 80MB/s cards are fine and realistically 95MB/s cards won't be much better.

I don't mind spending the extra £10 to get 150MB/s cards for a noticeable improvement.

I was hoping for experience from users with this particular camera as Olympus are very vague in the documentation and online.
Old 7th February 2019

FWIW I bought a Lexar Professional 1000x 32GB SDHC UHS-II Card from Amazon in the end for £26.54 delivered.

I ran a few tests to confirm it was genuine e.g. the size was correct.

I mainly discovered that neither of my built in SD card readers were very fast

Quote:
Warning: Only 29922 of 29923 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 19.3 MByte/s
Reading speed: 19.3 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

I also tested the card in the camera connected via USB as a drive.

Quote:
Warning: Only 2000 of 29923 MByte tested.
Test finished without errors.
You can now delete the test files *.h2w or verify them again.
Writing speed: 4.70 MByte/s
Reading speed: 13.8 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4
So the camera interface to the PC is v e r y s l o w.

I did another quick test - take a picture then immediately turn off the camera.
With the 80MB/s card it took a count of 5 (seconds) to stop flashing the card icon and retract the lens.
With the 150MB/s card it took just over 1.
Not very scientific but it does a bit to validate there was a point to buying the quicker interface.
As my primary interest was getting snappier shut down and preview I'm happy enough. I'll use the new UHS-II Card as my primary, backed up by the 80MByte/s cards and retire the old 20MByte/s cards.

I had found the same card cheaper at 7Dayshop but out of stock, I've just had a notification from 7DS that this is back in stock - £19.99 so £6.55 less than I spent at Amazon.
https://www.7dayshop.com/products/le...sd32gcrbeu1000

Of course Amazon have dropped their price to beat it £19.88
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07F9R1K...740111_TE_item

I've barely used mine so far and as I can go a long time before I fill a 16GB card I won't be buying a second but perhaps of use to someone else.
Old 7th February 2019

Thanked 1,235 Times in 925 Posts
Liked 5,899 Times in 1,912 Posts

A few points from me FWIW:

- I found that although the Pen F doesn't formally support fast UHS II cards that using such cards makes it significantly faster in writing files. I'm guessing that the UHS II spec adds additional data bandwidth but that even with the older spec, the faster memory performance of the newer spec cards is still very useful.

- I've recently had two SD cards fail on me. They are pretty flimsy things. So, I've just bought a Sony Tough UHS II card. It's not cheap but the build quality is miles ahead of standard cards
Portfolio Site
Instagram
AMc (7th February 2019)
Old 7th February 2019

Liked 196 Times in 126 Posts

Quote:
Anyone using the faster, more expensive UHS-II cards?
The E-M10ii is compatible with UHS-II according to the manual.
The E-M10i was tested here and gave 32MB/s write with UHS-I cards but wasn't tested with II...........

There seems to be some confusion in the responses so far, most of which refer to the E-M1-ii and not the E-M10-ii as in the OP.

The E-M10-ii is listed as compatible with SDXC cards. XC means extended capacity and is not the same thing as UHS-I or -II, which refer to high speed.

XC cards use a different file format, which allows capacities up to 2Terabytes, but they require a camera that is compatible with this format - which includes the E-M10-ii

UHS-II cards have an extra row of contacts, which theoretically allows double the transfer speed. As far as I know, only the E-M1-ii and E-M1X cameras are compatible with these cards at their full speed capability.
Old 7th February 2019

Thanked 1,235 Times in 925 Posts
Liked 5,899 Times in 1,912 Posts

The UHS II spec includes additional electrical contacts in order to offer a second serial bus to and from the card. Each bus is max 156MBps. Using both together ups the speed to 312MBps (big B, so bytes not bits). The best of the older cards with the single row of pins (i.e. UHS I cards) delivers about 100MBps but the even older cards are down to about 25MBps. Of course, this is just the bus speed - the memory itself may impose lower speeds. You can use UHS II cards in older devices since they are backward compatible but of course only using one bus. However, the single bus mode on UHS II is still faster than the older cards.

The only Oly camera that supports the dual bus of the UHS II cards is the E-M1ii (and now the E-M1x). However, based on my observation of the Pen-F, using UHS II cards is faster - I assume due to the faster bus and probably faster memory too. Of course, just because the card can support a faster bus speed does not mean that the port on the camera or card reader can use that faster speed.

Lots of info here: https://www.sdcard.org/developers/overview/index.html
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 7th February 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
.......... Of course, just because the card can support a faster bus speed does not mean that the port on the camera or card reader can use that faster speed.
That's an important point. There is no point in using a card that is potentially faster than the camera's own data bus. The evidence from the tests quoted above, from the Camera Memory Speed website, is that the maximum speed of the E-M10-ii is around 32 MB/s.

If one turns to the section of the same website, relating to the E-M1-ii, it can be seen that this camera can achieve higher speeds from those same cards with which the E-M10-ii only manages 32 MB/s.

The website article on the E-M1-ii concluded that Lexar 1000x UHS-II cards perform better than UHS-I cards in the E-M1 II because the camera does not support the fastest UHS-I mode. But, the E-M1-ii can take advantage of even faster cards, such as the Lexar 2000X. This card recorded a 163.4 MB/s write speed average, which was nearly four times the fastest UHS-I card.

I bought my Lexar 1000X card to speed up the process of 'stacking' for macro photography, using my E-M1-ii. This card reduced a frustratingly long wait to acceptable.

Write time for 20 Raw+JPEG images is around 17sec on the Lexar against ~63sec on an 80MB/s Sandisk (both 16MB cards)
Old 7th February 2019

The pdf manual and this link both clearly show the E-M10ii as “UHS-II compatible”.
I wouldn’t have bothered if they hadn’t.
It’s a clear difference between the mark I and mark II versions.
https://cs.olympus-imaging.jp/en/sup...oducts/em10m2/

Camera speed test tested the M10 and the M5ii but not the M10ii or iii unless I’m missing a link?

They do state the PEN-F supports UHS-II though?
https://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/ol...rd-comparison/

Quote:
The PEN-F is able to take advantage of the UHS-II interface to provide the fastest write speeds. Similar to the E-M5 II, only UHS-II cards are able to provide fast write speeds. In the PEN-F, UHS-I cards topped out around 42MB/s. This is because the camera does not use SDR104 (104MB/s bus speed) when using UHS-I cards. Only UHS-II allow the faster write speeds, and even then it does not take full advantage of the full write speed potential of the cards. UHS-II write speeds measured up to 91.6 MB/s in these tests.
Colour me confused.

It’s all a little academic for me now as I paid my money and took my chance.
Old 7th February 2019

Quote:
The pdf manual and this link both clearly show the E-M10ii as ďUHS-II compatibleĒ.
Interesting. I did look at the E-M10-ii manual and only saw, on p130, reference to "The following types of SD memory card (commercially available) can be used with this camera: SD, SDHC, SDXC, and Eye-Fi. For the latest information, please visit the Olympus website." The SDXC-II logo was alongside, which led me to think there might have been some confusion between SD XC-II and SD UHS-II, perhaps wrongly.

Your first link doesn't work for me (I think it may be truncated) but I did find the compatibility list on that Japanese website and it does indeed list UHS-II cards as 'compatible' with the E-M10-ii. I think the key phrase, however, is the caveat at the top of the list "Please note that the verified results do not guarantee complete performance.", which I interpret as meaning that the cards will work but not necessarily at their rated speed.

I agree that all these different variants lead to confusion. I might add that, after reading this thread, I tried a few different cards that were to hand, in my E-M1-ii. While the UHS-II was indeed the fastest, I also found that a WexPro class 6 card seemed to write faster than a Sandisk class 10.

For interest, I list the results of my brief tests below:
Memory card speeds using E-M1-ii (time to complete writing 20 RAW+JPEG images)
  • Lexar 1000X UHS-II, 16GB : 17 seconds
  • WexPro SDHC class 6, 4GB : 50 seconds
  • Sandisk Ultra 80MB/s class 10, 16GB : 63 seconds
  • Sandisk Ultra 40MB/s class 10, 8GB : 100 seconds
  • Sandisk Ultra II 15MB/s class 2, 4GB : 95 seconds
[All photos taken using 75mm lens in MF mode 1/1000s f/1.8
Shutter Ė High speed electronic continuous, with 20 frame limit set
Stopwatch used to time interval from pressing shutter button until card icon stopped flashing]

These were very limited tests but show a significant advantage to the UHS-II card, when in the top slot of my E-M1-ii

The results may also indicate that the old small 4GB cards write more quickly than the larger capacity versions.

Whatever else, it ain't simple
AMc (7th February 2019)
Old 7th February 2019

Posting from my phone which messed up the link. I fixed it shortly after posting sorry it didn’t work.

I knew I wouldn’t get the monster 300Mbyte/s performance of the em1ii but it seemed worth a tenner to try the UHS II card at the lower 150Mbyte/s speed.
My current cards are older than my current body so it may well outlast this one.
Your tests are interesting, especially the smaller card being faster.
If I get time I’ll put my other cards through some checks.

I did when I started this have very little knowledge of what the various specs meant I’m now a lot wiser but the missing link is really s bit more clarity from Olympus on what it’s wise to use.

Hope this is helpful to someone in future.
MikeOxon (7th February 2019)