Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 339 Times in 163 Posts
Re: Corbyn at the Cenotaph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Exactly. Would we be happy if an undertaker wore an anorak or jeans an a Tee shirt?

Corbyn's attire on this and previous occasions suggests that he really doesn't care and that he had put no thought whatsoever into the occasion.

If he really cared he could have bought a black coat from M&S, kept the receipt and taken it back on Monday morning.
I am quite sure it was deliberate on his part. He knew it would upset the half glass empty brigade and he was making a statement to the establishment, to the snobs, he will never change. That is how it is. I am not excusing him for doing it, as it is something I would never do. I keep 2 long coats for these occasions and see it as a mark of respect. But we are all different in our views. It could be argued that those who died or fought in the wars, were also fighting for freedom, free speech, freedom of choice, freedom from tyranny....would they have cared if someone wears a cashmere coat or an anorak? I think not, but what do I know?

Phil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc

If you are reading this, it is because you are on my ignore list
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (4 Weeks Ago), Jim Ford (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,570 Times in 952 Posts

Do you remember when comrade Jeremy became leader of the Labour Party (another reminder to his fellow MPs and to the 'Party Delegates' to be careful for what you wish) he sat on the opposition benches wearing a sports jacket (and trousers, of course, finished off with open toe sandals, one would imagine) no tie but a 'ban the bomb' and a Robertson's enamel badge, popular in the 60's and 70's).

Up the revolution, brother (yeah, right up).

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 73 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
I am quite sure it was deliberate on his part. He knew it would upset the half glass empty brigade and he was making a statement to the establishment, to the snobs, he will never change. That is how it is. I am not excusing him for doing it, as it is something I would never do. I keep 2 long coats for these occasions and see it as a mark of respect. But we are all different in our views. It could be argued that those who died or fought in the wars, were also fighting for freedom, free speech, freedom of choice, freedom from tyranny....would they have cared if someone wears a cashmere coat or an anorak? I think not, but what do I know?
Shouldn't that be "Glass Half Empty" ?

So, the establishment are "snobs" because they choose to be well dressed on such occasions, yet you keep 2 long coats for the same sort of occasion. You also comment on how smart your brother appeared to be in his borrowed dark long coat and even traveled from Nairobi to attend. Surely that implies contradiction or also an element of snobbery on your part.

I totally agree with Tram's previous comment. Whilst I am anything but a Corbyn fan, my own opinion is that providing a person is reasonably clean and smart, acts respectfully, what he or she wears is a matter of personal taste and should not be the concern of the media or anyone else for that matter. The main consideration should be they showed respect for the occasion by taking the trouble to attend. Thousands of the general public also showed respect by walking in the procession and they were wearing a wide variation in clothing. Whatever Corbyn wore or did on the day would have attracted comment from the media, he was in a no-win situation.

Hang on, lets hope he remains in a no-win situation for a long time to come but not because of how he chooses to dress.

Jax
Naughty Nigel (4 Weeks Ago), Rebecca (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 339 Times in 163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Do you remember when comrade Jeremy became leader of the Labour Party (another reminder to his fellow MPs and to the 'Party Delegates' to be careful for what you wish) he sat on the opposition benches wearing a sports jacket (and trousers, of course, finished off with open toe sandals, one would imagine) no tie but a 'ban the bomb' and a Robertson's enamel badge, popular in the 60's and 70's).

Up the revolution, brother (yeah, right up).
For sure and he would be proud. Interestingly, one of his pursuits is “Drain Spotting” and he has photographed many drains and manhole covers across the UK. Married 3 times - he also had a relationship with Diane Abott .... what a guy

Phil
https://www.flickr.com/gp/gatekeeperphil/44A3Dc

If you are reading this, it is because you are on my ignore list
Jim Ford (4 Weeks Ago), Ricoh (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 380 Times in 263 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
...he also had a relationship with Diane Abott .... what a guy
Dear god! That’s an image that will take a while to fade...aaarrrggghhh.
Gate Keeper (4 Weeks Ago), Keith-369 (4 Weeks Ago), Naughty Nigel (4 Weeks Ago), Rebecca (4 Weeks Ago), Ricoh (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 2,149 Times in 1,076 Posts

Certainly no fan of Jeremy, and have not seen the photo. Personally, I would judge him by his attendance rather than his apparel. His appearance would not adhere me to him, but would not hound him to the ground about it. Everyone to their own...……..Within reason of course...……...

My Flickr
Gate Keeper (4 Weeks Ago), Jim Ford (4 Weeks Ago), Rebecca (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,062 Times in 527 Posts

He could have at least cleaned his shoes. He purposely was trying to make a political point, like Michael Foot did. ( that worked well for him - Not).

Respect. is what was required not political point scoring, especially on of all dates the 100th anniversary. He ignored the fact that people gave their lives for the freedoms, that he and all of us lucky enough to be alive, enjoy today.

My Flickr
Naughty Nigel (4 Weeks Ago), Ricoh (4 Weeks Ago), TimP (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 434 Times in 308 Posts

The famed anorak he wore at the parade is the same one he was seen in riding his cycle from home and turning left at a Tee junction the wrongway into a one way street.
Naughty Nigel (4 Weeks Ago), Ricoh (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 45 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekW View Post
The famed anorak he wore at the parade is the same one he was seen in riding his cycle from home and turning left at a Tee junction the wrongway into a one way street.

Hang on a minute Derek ! He was riding a bike and as most people know, road signs, white lines, traffic lights etc. etc. don't apply to cyclists.

Rebecca
Keith-369 (4 Weeks Ago), MJ224 (4 Weeks Ago), Naughty Nigel (4 Weeks Ago), TimP (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,570 Times in 952 Posts

I've watched Corbyn attempting to sing God Save the Queen in a half half hearted manner, almost as if he doesn't know the words, or worse still. So seeing him dressed so slovenly at the cenotaph doesn't surprise me at all.

on flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 434 Times in 308 Posts

Rebecca - I will call you as an expert witness for my defence next time I am hauled into court for walking on the wrong side of the pavement <g>
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 243 Times in 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca View Post
Hang on a minute Derek ! He was riding a bike and as most people know, road signs, white lines, traffic lights etc. etc. don't apply to cyclists.

Rebecca
And when an accident occurs, it's always the motorist that's wrong because he went through a traffic light on green, or kept to his lane, or even just proceeded normally in a straight line. Oh and after the accident, the local council spend lots of money trying to make our roads safer for said cyclists.

Yes, I know cyclists are not all total idiots .... but many are.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 353 Times in 170 Posts

Well at least he turned up, but as my wife studies body language he def didn't want to be there..!!

Peter
OMD-EM1 Mk2, 40-150. f2.8Pro, MC-14 converter, 7-14mm 2.8, 17mm 1.8, 45mm 1.8G, OM50mm 1.8, OM 28mm F2.8, OM 200mm F4 Giottos Silk Road YTL8384Tripod Giottos MH5011 head FL36 and other bits and bobs...
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.”
www.flickr.com/photos/141996687@N02/
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Thanked 2,991 Times in 2,327 Posts
Liked 4,040 Times in 1,909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith-369 View Post
Yes, I know cyclists are not all total idiots .... but many are.
And it's no coincidence that many cyclists are also motorists.....

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
alfbranch (4 Weeks Ago), Gate Keeper (4 Weeks Ago), Keith-369 (4 Weeks Ago)
Old 4 Weeks Ago
Administrator

Thanked 2,991 Times in 2,327 Posts
Liked 4,040 Times in 1,909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wornish View Post

political point scoring
A concept that I'm sure is unfamiliar to the members of this forum and the participants in this thread.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there — even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
alfbranch (4 Weeks Ago), Gate Keeper (4 Weeks Ago), Jim Ford (4 Weeks Ago), Keith-369 (4 Weeks Ago), Naughty Nigel (4 Weeks Ago), Ricoh (4 Weeks Ago)