Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > For sale or wanted small ads

For sale or wanted small ads Advertise items you no longer need, as well as interest in items you are looking for. Non-commercial small-ads only. Buyers please take maximum precautions as we can offer no protection from fraudsters.

Old 30th March 2014

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Trading on the e-group forum

I feel guilty as I have not posted before but regularly log on and learn. I hadn't realised that being a non-active member could be misconstrued but can see the issues here.

I will do better
Old 31st March 2014

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I can appreciate that it's a difficult thing to try and strike a reasonable balance and then to police it. Agree about no reselling something on here for 3 months (at a higher price).
Would definitely be worth have a separate for sale section for "private traders" - people like timphoto1 (think I've dealt with him before, or narrowly avoided it) who buy and sell with the primary intention of profiting, and it wouldn't be allowed to buy from the private classifieds and sell in the trader section. You could charge a subscription or something for the privilege, and everyone would know where they stand when buying or selling in that section.

The biggest problem as I see it is why someone is selling something for a cheap price, there is a strong possibility of it being snapped up by someone purely with the intention of profiting, which then deprives a genuine purchaser. Not sure that can ever be policed though.

I'll stick my hand up and say that I mainly use this forum for buying and selling (relatively infrequently though), but I think I've bought more than I've sold! I'd love to be more active in the other sections but a young family means that hobby time is rather restricted, and most of my photo's these days are little more than snapshots of kids - not something I really want to inflict on strangers on the internet!
Old 31st March 2014

Liked 380 Times in 135 Posts

While you are looking at the rules here perhaps you could consider something similar to the Dyxum forum where the For Sale section is restricted to posting of ads with any discussion going to PM. Here old ads can get bumped to the top by discussions about the merits of silver and black lenses ....

Andy
Old 31st March 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,123 Times in 919 Posts
Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

By and large this section works well enough, as it has for many years, by the simple application of common sense and honesty by forum members. I see no harm in open discussions and harmless "bumping", whilst we do encourage financial discussions being made via Private Messaging. The fewer firm "rules", the better the forum.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following Users Liked This Post:
George Dorn (31st March 2014), PeterBirder (31st March 2014), photo_owl (2nd April 2014), Wee man (6th May 2014), Zuiko (31st March 2014)
Old 1st April 2014

Liked 41 Times in 35 Posts

I lurked here for a couple of years before joining. Checking on the trading (prices), but mainly on the advice.

Just because somebody has only just joined doesn't necessarily mean they haven't "been around" for a while before deciding to become active ...
The Following User Liked This Post:
shotokan101 (1st April 2014)
Old 1st April 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kami View Post
I lurked here for a couple of years before joining. Checking on the trading (prices), but mainly on the advice.

Just because somebody has only just joined doesn't necessarily mean they haven't "been around" for a while before deciding to become active ...
And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But people are naturally more trusting of others whom they already "know". It's human nature.

My Flickr site
Old 6th May 2014

Liked 138 Times in 46 Posts

Hi,

Is there somewhere where you can check feedback on members who sell on the trade forum so you can try to minimise any risk?

Cheers
Old 6th May 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
Hi,

Is there somewhere where you can check feedback on members who sell on the trade forum so you can try to minimise any risk?

Cheers
Yes. http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51

However, it's not as widely used as we would like. You can lead a horse to water ....

My Flickr site
Old 6th May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Yes. http://e-group.uk.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51

However, it's not as widely used as we would like. You can lead a horse to water ....
Thanks, I just saw the link at the top of the for sale section lol. Is there a preferred method of payment, or it down to the individuals? Do you have any tips on what to look out for?

Sorry for the questions, long time forum user, first time potential buyer
Old 6th May 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Most people use either direct bank transfer or Paypal, either as a gift to avoid fees, or regular if you feel better with whatever protection this offers.

We prefer price negotiations to be held via Private Messaging, and remember, at the end of the day it's buyer beware.

My Flickr site
Old 6th May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Most people use either direct bank transfer or Paypal, either as a gift to avoid fees, or regular if you feel better with whatever protection this offers.

We prefer price negotiations to be held via Private Messaging, and remember, at the end of the day it's buyer beware.
Many thanks. I guess with paypal via a gift you don't get any protection? Not sure if you'd have any via bank transfer either tbh.

Thanks for your help
Old 6th May 2014
Administrator

Thanked 2,993 Times in 2,329 Posts
Liked 4,060 Times in 1,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snerkler View Post
Many thanks. I guess with paypal via a gift you don't get any protection? Not sure if you'd have any via bank transfer either tbh.

Thanks for your help
No protection with Paypal gift; regular Paypal comes with an element of protection but I'm not sure how good that is in practice. Bank transfers generally cannot be recalled and therefore provide excellent protection to the seller but no protection to the buyer. However, it does mean that the seller has to give his bank account details to someone he doesn't know!

Trading online in this way unfortunately comes with an element of risk, much more so for the buyer than the seller. You have to weigh up the convenience and potential for a bargain against the possibility of making a loss. This forum has an excellent record of trouble free transactions that have benefitted a great many buyers and sellers but we should always be aware of the potential for things to go wrong with little or no recourse.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 6th May 2014

Liked 100 Times in 74 Posts

you could of course ask if the buyer/seller has any feedback from other sources....
Old 6th May 2014
Administrator

Thanked 2,993 Times in 2,329 Posts
Liked 4,060 Times in 1,912 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotokan101 View Post
you could of course ask if the buyer/seller has any feedback from other sources....
Yes, anything which helps build a profile of whom you're dealing with is useful, if not foolproof.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 7th May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
No protection with Paypal gift; regular Paypal comes with an element of protection but I'm not sure how good that is in practice. Bank transfers generally cannot be recalled and therefore provide excellent protection to the seller but no protection to the buyer. However, it does mean that the seller has to give his bank account details to someone he doesn't know!

Trading online in this way unfortunately comes with an element of risk, much more so for the buyer than the seller. You have to weigh up the convenience and potential for a bargain against the possibility of making a loss. This forum has an excellent record of trouble free transactions that have benefitted a great many buyers and sellers but we should always be aware of the potential for things to go wrong with little or no recourse.
Thanks for the help. I have gone for the purchase. The seller seems very open and honest so no reason for concern.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Zuiko (7th May 2014)