Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > For sale or wanted small ads

For sale or wanted small ads Advertise items you no longer need, as well as interest in items you are looking for. Non-commercial small-ads only. Buyers please take maximum precautions as we can offer no protection from fraudsters.

Old 22nd February 2014
Yorkie

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Yorkie
Re: Trading on the e-group forum

I have purchased a lot of kit from members of the site: the price I paid , and was asked was fare if it had not been I would not have purchased.

Additionally I have sold kit here and probably for less than I would have achieved on any resale site, but I don'y care. My philosophy is I would rather the kit goes to a good home where it will be appreciated.

For my part I would like to see the site used by the members to sell kit to others who will appreciate it. It is up to the purchaser to agree with the asking price and purchase or not. I do not wish to see professional resale organisations in the kit sales area. if this is to be the way forward they need to be openly declared in a separate area of the site and pay a fee to the site for access to the members: Ian can then use this for all our benefits.

End of rant.

OMD EM-1 MkII, 40-150mm Pro, 12-40mm Pro, 75-300mm, Oly 60mm f2.8 Macro, Oly 45mm, FL-50R, Manfrotto 190XPro/Mag Head

Gallery and web site at: http://harphoto.smugmug.com/
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yorkie For This Useful Post:
ashtonsd (22nd February 2014), Chevvyf1 (24th February 2014), Chrisspencer (24th February 2014)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Chevvyf1 (24th February 2014)
Old 24th February 2014
Administrator

Thanked 2,303 Times in 1,163 Posts
Liked 1,365 Times in 646 Posts

As I remember you asked permission and I agreed. Also, you don't exclusively use the forum for selling - far from it. So there is no problem here at all.

Ian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponner View Post
I have made a tidy profit selling those bloody cloths on here, not enough to worry the tax man but enough to buy a lens. I was "trading" no doubt about it but didn't feel guilty as I felt what I was selling was good value. (once interest had waned on here I sold them a lot quicker elsewhere)

I have bought cameras and lenses here and also sold

I posted the wrong lens to someone once, doh! Because this is a nice place it was sorted out painlessly.

My point is I like looking at what is offered and what is bought I see no downside to a fairly free market, buyers and sellers make their own decisions, of note there seems to have been little or no fraudulent activity and agreed prices have resulted in goods delivered.

To me, with agreed being the operative word, that is a win win. I wouldn't buy Tim's camera on principal but hope he would still be allowed to post the ad in future.
Digital Photography Now (http://dpnow.com)
Olympus camera, lens, and accessory hire (http://e-group.uk.net/hire)

Twitter: www.twitter.com/ian_burley
Flickr: www.flickr.com/photos/dpnow/
Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/ianburley/
NEW: My personal BLOG ianburley.com
LMGruchy (26th March 2014)
Old 22nd March 2014

Liked 100 Times in 74 Posts

Can someone from the MOD Team summarise the Trading rules on the forum now please or pint me to the FAQ covering it ?

Jim
Old 23rd March 2014

...or even simpler - is it o.k. for me to offer a lens for sale as a new member ?
Old 23rd March 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,118 Times in 917 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts

Sorry to have missed your earlier post. Basically all we ask is that you buy and sell as a private individual, and you don't try to profit from other members by buying and quickly reselling.

Put your lens up for sale, give as much detail as possible including photos if you can (and perhaps a reason why you're selling), and good luck!

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 23rd March 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
Sorry to have missed your earlier post. Basically all we ask is that you buy and sell as a private individual, and you don't try to profit from other members by buying and quickly reselling.

Put your lens up for sale, give as much detail as possible including photos if you can (and perhaps a reason why you're selling), and good luck!
Thanks - that seems pretty reasonable

Jim
Old 23rd March 2014

Can I ask if eBay price comparisons are allowed or not when trading - whether Auction sale prices or Buy It Now sale prices ?

Thanks,

Jim
Old 23rd March 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,118 Times in 917 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts

There's no harm in you "justifying" your price, but remember that the prospective buyer will also be doing this. We advise that price negotiations are done by Private Message, and not open forum. At the end of the day, it's down to "buyer beware", but our members have a strong reputation for fair dealing, and it's something we are keen to continue.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to StephenL For This Useful Post:
shotokan101 (23rd March 2014), Wee man (6th May 2014), Zuiko (23rd March 2014)
Wee man (26th January 2015)
Old 23rd March 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
There's no harm in you "justifying" your price, but remember that the prospective buyer will also be doing this. We advise that price negotiations are done by Private Message, and not open forum. At the end of the day, it's down to "buyer beware", but our members have a strong reputation for fair dealing, and it's something we are keen to continue.
Thanks Stephen - I just thought it advisable to check

JIm
Old 25th March 2014

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

I think this is an overreaction.

Since joining this forum a few months ago (after buying my E-M1) I have found it to very a VERY useful place to get insights on products, features and even issues from fellow users. This is what I have mostly used it for.

However, I have also used it to advertise gear that I have purchased but then found I do not need. I see it as infinitely preferable to sell to fellow enthusiasts even though I may also advertise on eBay to maximise exposure.

I absolutely think that there is a place in a forum for buying and selling used gear in a "Brand community" such as this and I think it would be a real shame to take that away.
Old 25th March 2014
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus View Post
I think this is an overreaction.

Since joining this forum a few months ago (after buying my E-M1) I have found it to very a VERY useful place to get insights on products, features and even issues from fellow users. This is what I have mostly used it for.

However, I have also used it to advertise gear that I have purchased but then found I do not need. I see it as infinitely preferable to sell to fellow enthusiasts even though I may also advertise on eBay to maximise exposure.

I absolutely think that there is a place in a forum for buying and selling used gear in a "Brand community" such as this and I think it would be a real shame to take that away.
Not sure who is over reacting We are not taking away any opportunity for sensible buying and selling via the forum, we just don't want avoidable situations that could potentially and justifiably upset members here and those situations are: member 1 buys from member 2 and then member 2 sells on for a profit in a short period of time, and b) member x only uses the forum for the benefit to him/herself to sell and not contribute in any other way. Basically it comes down to mutual respect as members of our online community.

Ian

Old 25th March 2014

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian View Post
Not sure who is over reacting We are not taking away any opportunity for sensible buying and selling via the forum, we just don't want avoidable situations that could potentially and justifiably upset members here and those situations are: member 1 buys from member 2 and then member 2 sells on for a profit in a short period of time, and b) member x only uses the forum for the benefit to him/herself to sell and not contribute in any other way. Basically it comes down to mutual respect as members of our online community.

Ian
Point taken. If I saw someone on here re-listing something I had sold them at a (potential) profit I'd be posting in their thread and shaming them!
Old 25th March 2014

Liked 1,292 Times in 789 Posts

I seem to have added quite a few more traders to my ignore list since this thread was started.

The Grumpy Snapper blog or follow me on Instagram.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Johnheatingman (26th March 2014), Wee man (26th January 2015)
Old 26th March 2014

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Maybe there should be a minimum number of posts/months of membership before someone is permitted to sell something? Maybe there should be a "Trader's market Place" for those who don't want to post/be a long term member before advertising their wares - with perhaps a membership fee as opposed to posting etc? That way the forum profits, traders know where they stand, (am I right in thinking if you're a trader there are different consumer laws to a private individual?) and those who don't want to trade with traders can ignore the whole section?
Old 26th March 2014
Administrator

I don't have a problem with someone joining simply to sell an item - there is a chance he/she could end up being a fully involved member. But what we don't want here is members who only use the site for buying and selling over a sustained period - in other words people who are clearly using the site as a revenue source.

Ian