Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 27th February 2013

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
OM-D Video Sound

I'm not having much joy using my OM-D for videoing outside as it is picking up a lot of wind noise on its in built-in mikes. Not unsurprisingly as there is no way of shielding the mikes although I have tried using the different menu settings for the sound with no real joy. To this end I am thinking of getting an external recorder and pulling in the sound later on at the editing stage.
After a couple of weeks of research I have narrowed it down to either the Olympus LS-5 or the Tascam DR-40 as possibilities. The Olympus LS-100 looks like a really nice unit but probably overkill for what I am requiring!

Has anyone any experience/recommendations of any of the above or indeed something else?

TIA

(Wasn't sure if this should be in the movie forum but I thought it may be more relevant here)
Old 27th February 2013

Liked 781 Times in 364 Posts
Re: OM-D Video Sound

I have a Tascam DR-07 mk2 which i use mainly for recording interviews and some audio only blogs - we use more substantial external microphones for our video work (using video cameras not DSLRs). The one thing I would say is whatever digital recorder or external mic you choose You will still need to deal with wind noise. So look for something like a rycote windjammer for any microphone you are using in windy places (http://www.rycote.com/applications/portable_recorders/). They aren't cheap but they do work.

On the question of recording sound with camera or not I'd say it depends, if you are recording pictures mainly that will have a voiceover added later in edit then the solution of recording background sounds off camera is a good solution. It gets more tricky if you are recording speech as will need to consider continuity issues and lip-synch. Kit gets more complex when you need to deal with these situations. My colleague who records the sound always has about ten different microphone combinations with him as you can never put a microphone where you might want to!

I have used the EM5 to give me some cut-away shots (supplementing the main video camera) and was quite impressed with the sound (which I removed in edit anyway!) relying on the video tape for the key shots and sound. The picture quality was also very good (once I colour corrected it).

Hope this helps.

You can see some of my things on Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to art frames For This Useful Post:
trailer (27th February 2013)
Old 27th February 2013

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks Peter.

I don't plan to be doing any voice recording just natural background noises so I certainly appreciate the need for a good windshield and potentially an external mike in the future.

I have used the OM-D on mountain and cliff tops and it sounds like someone is blowing in your ear when you get to play the recording back. I was after something that would sufficiently improve the quality of the recording to make it more "natural" sounding if possible(?)

Thanks again.
Old 27th February 2013

Liked 781 Times in 364 Posts

For natural background a digital recorder would be a good choice.

The tascam has two microphones which can be adjusted to give you a wide stereo sound or narrow if you are recording a voice. But they will be very prone to pick up wind noise without shielding. You would be advised to monitor the sound on headphones as you record to ensure it is what you want. And always record twice as much as you need!

Stripping new sound in at the edit stage will give you the opportunity to replace the noisey tracks you have from the previous shoots.

Good luck

You can see some of my things on Flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to art frames For This Useful Post:
trailer (28th February 2013)