Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 7th October 2011

Liked 71 Times in 37 Posts
Re: Discussion of the "For Sale" section

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
At least you are not an exiled African King who only has two days to get his considerable assets out of Nigeria and immediately thought of Bert Smith from Macclesfield as the best person in the world to help him achieve this, for a handsome reward!
Blimey, you know my brother who was only exiled because of a very minor problem that he had - he hadn't realised that the six noughts after the 10 made that much difference to his African nation.

Regards
Chr*s
Formally known as 'Prince Lee Korupt'
The Following User Says Thank You to catkins For This Useful Post:
Zuiko (7th October 2011)
Old 7th October 2011
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,439 Times in 2,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
Blimey, you know my brother who was only exiled because of a very minor problem that he had - he hadn't realised that the six noughts after the 10 made that much difference to his African nation.

Regards
Chr*s
Formally known as 'Prince Lee Korupt'
Made me chuckle.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 7th October 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
This topic has been discussed to death. The fact is, the forum was set up to allow sales without pre-conditions. That's the way it is, let the buyer (and seller) beware. If you don't like it, don't read the section. Simples!

I don't like sport. The paper I buy has a sports section. I don't read that section. Simples!
Thanks Stephen, Amen.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 7th October 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Re: Zukio Lenses for Sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnheatingman View Post
John, to me it's not the sales or no sale argument that annoys me, it has aready been discussed as far as it possibly can be.... and always with the same outcome.

What does annoy me is the sanctimonious and extrememly rude offensive comments posted by a very small minority of the membership whenever this situation occurs. I'm sure some of the new members and indeed visitors who are possibly prospective future members are put off posting anything at all when they read posts of that sort.

As has already been pointed out, this is a public forum open to anyone to join, sell, post and purchase and if this upsets some of the Established Members, then they should do the forum a favour and keep their opinions to themselves unless they can express their thoughts in a reasonable polite manner without the type of comments seen in this thread and previous ones.

I have to fully agree with Sponner's comments and I too do more lurking and learning than posting photo's. Like Sponner, I am also wondering if I really need to continue membership when I see some of the recent posts in this thread.

John
I do think we need to separate 'the sanctimonious and extrememly rude offensive remarks' from members opinions. Whilst I would not knowingly make any of these type of comments about another member,I do have an opinion as to 'new' sellers' advertising their kit on the forum,regardless as to whether I am actually buying from them or not.

For the sake of clarification I stand by my original comment posted here - it was not rude / offensive or otherwise.

I don't believe we have actually arrived at the point of 'Put up or shut up' yet,but it would appear we are not very far off.

Offensive - never,but I am all for freedom of speech + opinion,even if some of it appears unpalatable to others.

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Benedict For This Useful Post:
Ulfric M Douglas (7th October 2011)
Old 7th October 2011
Administrator

Re: Zukio Lenses for Sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benedict View Post
I do think we need to separate 'the sanctimonious and extrememly rude offensive remarks' from members opinions. Whilst I would not knowingly make any of these type of comments about another member,I do have an opinion as to 'new' sellers' advertising their kit on the forum,regardless as to whether I am actually buying from them or not.

For the sake of clarification I stand by my original comment posted here - it was not rude / offensive or otherwise.

I don't believe we have actually arrived at the point of 'Put up or shut up' yet,but it would appear we are not very far off.

Offensive - never,but I am all for freedom of speech + opinion,even if some of it appears unpalatable to others.
Hi Phil, I don't think John was referring to you, he certainly didn't mention you by name unless I missed something. I have no issue with your comment, or indeed any of the comments made, the real issue is that they do not belong in another member's For Sale thread, which is why I moved all comments not connected with the sale to this new thread. I could have just deleted them but I specifically didn't want to adopt the role of censor of opinions.

In future I will enforce the "not in another member's thread" policy, but anyone will still be free to re-ignite the debate in a separate thread in The Lounge. Whether that will add anything new or constructive to a debate we have already had several times will be up to personal judgement. The present policy will remain in place unless at some point the forum owner decides to change it. Those who don't like that policy can simply avoid For Sale threads by members they do not recognise or consider to have insufficient posts on the forum.

For the record, a quick look at the info on Buggerlugs's profile page makes me think I would not wish to do business anyway, but I see no reason to be that judgemental in his For Sale thread and I just walk away. Sometimes collective silence shouts far louder than many posts of critisism, which risk envoking unwarranted sympathy for the seller and only serves to create divisions amongst ourselves.

Old 7th October 2011

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks Guys - I didn't suggest that any critiscm was levied at me. I was merely making my position/view clear.

People may not remember exactly what you did, or what you said, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Old 7th October 2011
Administrator

All good then!

Old 7th October 2011

Liked 28 Times in 21 Posts

Now sober I probably regret voicing my opinion, but there you go, its hard enough to keep quite in real life sometimes, even harder on t'internet. Damn that post reply button.

Zuiko I think you have summed up the situation perfectly and thank you for taking the time to come up with a solution.
Old 7th October 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponner View Post
Now sober I probably regret voicing my opinion, but there you go, its hard enough to keep quite in real life sometimes, even harder on t'internet. Damn that post reply button.

Zuiko I think you have summed up the situation perfectly and thank you for taking the time to come up with a solution.
No harm done, it's your opinion so why not voice it.? Everyone else does!

Old 7th October 2011

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

With all the kit he's suddenly selling methinks Zuiko has come up with one of Baldric's "cunning plans" to finance some lighter weight kit.

Only joking John. Good luck with the sales.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 7th October 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBirder View Post
With all the kit he's suddenly selling methinks Zuiko has come up with one of Baldric's "cunning plans" to finance some lighter weight kit.

Only joking John. Good luck with the sales.
Thanks Peter,

You're not a million miles from the truth - think "Pen" - think E-P3!

Old 7th October 2011

Liked 873 Times in 309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
Thanks Peter,

You're not a million miles from the truth - think "Pen" - think E-P3!
Oooh, very nice

Olympus equipment (mainly)
Capture One Pro
My flickr
Old 7th October 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greytop View Post
Oooh, very nice
Just got to sell a few more bits.