Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 12th February 2018

Thanked 1,173 Times in 931 Posts
Liked 1,508 Times in 898 Posts
Re: A bit of a rant regarding Olympus Service.....

I got out my (faulty) 50-200 SWD lens to try something on my E-M1 Mk II & realised I could still use it wide open (at least it seems to be working OK like that), so long as I don't stop down at all & then I went & tried the EC20 with it & although the results are a little soft (& better with the EC14) I'm thinking it might still be worth having it repaired, so I rang the suggested repairer in Sydney but I couldn't get any possible price range out of him. He just said he would assess it for free.

Anyhow, I got to test it on a passing rescue helicopter at 400mm with just the bottom of the frame cropped off.

If I should use this lens more then maybe it would be best to stick with EC14 instead or just use the 40-150 +MC14 & crop.

I think I'll just play with it occasionally as it may not be worth putting more money into repairing it, as I have done so, on deciding to leave my 12-60 as a paper weight after buying the 12-40 f2.8 lens (on Boxing Day).

Anyhow, all food for thought.

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).