Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 10th February 2018

Liked 193 Times in 76 Posts
Send a message via MSN to griffljg
Angry A bit of a rant regarding Olympus Service.....

I took delivery of my Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mk II on 7th January 2017 and was initially very happy with it, although I did question my wisdom in forking out so much money for an upgrade to my old E-M1 (Mk I).

One of my criticisms of the old E-M1 was its handling of challenging lighting conditions, particularly on my regular trips to New Zealand, where the air is clear and the sun very bright. The shadows are very well defined and the highlights are very bright. You do need decent dynamic range handling ability. For challenging lighting conditions, I found myself preferring to use my Canon EOS 6D, which has amazing dynamic range for such an old camera. The downsides of the Canon are that it is big and bulky and its lenses are big and bulky too. I'll be turning 63 in a couple of weeks and do prefer lugging around lighter camera gear when I am traveling.

After buying the E-M1 Mk II, I found myself using the Canon less and less. The E-M1 Mk II still doesn't handle challenging lighting conditions as well as the Canon EOS 6D, but it is a lot better than the E-M1 (Mk I) ever was. On balance, the E-M1 Mk II is the most versatile of my cameras. It is now my "go to" camera and I only take the others along if the occasion warrants it. Or if I am traveling and need backup.

In the mid-2017, I noticed that the off/on switch was getting a bit sticky. - Actually more than a bit. - I was scared of breaking it. I sent it off to Olympus in Sydney (via Camera Pro, the dealer who sold me the camera) for a warranty repair. One month later (Yes, one month!), I had my E-M1 Mk II back with the top plate having been replaced. It appeared to be working satisfactorily and I was generally a happy chappy, even though I was a bit unimpressed that it had taken one month to perform the warranty repair.

In late December 2017, I flew across to Auckland, New Zealand for a big Christmas celebration with family and extended family. After lunch on Christmas Eve, everybody went out into the front garden for a gumboot throwing competition. Much festivity and laughter...... I decided to video the activities..... One thing that I hadn't checked when I got the E-M1 Mk II back from its warranty repair was the microphones. So my gumboot throwing videos had no sound! I was more than a little unimpressed, but at least I did have backup. It looked like the Olympus quality control on repairs might have left a bit to be desired.

On 5th January 2018, being back home in Brisbane, I took the E-M1 Mk II back to Camera Pro to be sent back to Olympus in Sydney for yet another warranty repair. Three weeks later, I called Camera Pro and asked whether they had heard from Olympus. They hadn't, but gave Olympus a nagging call and then called me back. Olympus were still waiting for parts and an ETA was still another two weeks away.

Yesterday (Friday 9 Feb 2018), Camera Pro called me and told me that they had my camera back. I went to pick it up after work and gave it a bit of a test. The microphones were now working, but the Olympus quality control had let them down yet again. - The eyecup was missing and the rubber grip hadn't been correctly glued back.

Let's just sum up:- In the thirteen months since I bought the E-M1 Mk II, it has spent two months back at Olympus (or in transit) for warranty repairs. And they still can't get it right!

The very helpful staff at Camera Pro offered to send it back to Olympus, but I didn't have much faith in Olympus sorting out the issues without giving rise to further issues. So they pinched an eye cup off their display E-M1 Mk II and put it on mine. I said that I would sort out the rubber grip problem when I got home and headed off home with my camera. I fixed the rubber grip problem with some Loctite Super Glue Power Flex and everything now appears to be fine.

I am thoroughly unimpressed with the Olympus repair facility in Sydney, but am really pleased to get my camera back.

Now to go out and take some pics.

PS: I was seriously thinking of selling off my Olympus gear and expanding my Canon gear. But then, when I got home and picked up the Canon EOS 6D with 24-70mm f/2.8 Mk II lens attached, and felt its weight, I thought "No! Maybe not!"

Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M1 II, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus XZ-2 | Flash: Olympus FL-50R
Lenses: Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm f/4.0 IS PRO, Olympus MMF-3 adaptor, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6, Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f4.0-6.3 ASPH
Old 10th February 2018

Liked 464 Times in 246 Posts
Re: A bit of a rant regarding Olympus Service.....

Feel your pain. Seems that the service you are getting is not much better than what I am getting. in the past, I sent in my E-330 and they could not fix it either. The then banding issue was never solved. then my E-330 rubber started coming off. Again the service was not that up to mark. Had to send a 50-200 SWD in cause there was a dot of what looked like transparent grease on the front element. the lens came back with more dirt inside and the dot still in there Return after inspection and guess what, when it was returned, that dot or grease was gone but there was even more dust inside and they mounted the front element wrong. the finger tab was built into the lens hood is not on the side. ( I have since sold the lens)
Had to send my em1i in due to a back dial malfunction. Had to go in twice before it was finally fixed. I had to pay for that repair as it was out of warranty. The rubber which was partly bulging was not fixed.
So when I hear the Europeans users praising for the excellent service and extras that came back with their camera, I can only look and feel very jealous.

P.S., Am still using Olympus and have not jumped ship after all these years...wonder why

All my garbage so far.
The Following User Says Thank You to blu-by-u For This Useful Post:
griffljg (10th February 2018)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Old 10th February 2018

It sounds like the Olympus service facility in Portugal should be given an award for their amazing service. That lot in Sydney deserve the booby prize. Where do the Malaysian Olympus cameras go for service?

Cameras: Olympus OM-D E-M1 II, Olympus OM-D E-M1, Olympus XZ-2 | Flash: Olympus FL-50R
Lenses: Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, Olympus M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 12-100mm f/4.0 IS PRO, Olympus MMF-3 adaptor, Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm f2.8-4.0 SWD, Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-45mm 1:3.5-5.6, Olympus Zuiko Digital 40-150mm 1:3.5-4.5, Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm 1:4-5.6, Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmar 100-400mm f4.0-6.3 ASPH
Old 10th February 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffljg View Post
It sounds like the Olympus service facility in Portugal should be given an award for their amazing service. That lot in Sydney deserve the booby prize. Where do the Malaysian Olympus cameras go for service?
Don't think we are that far off from that award also. Currently the service is still handled by Olympus (Malaysia) Service Center. and currently located in Kelana Square.

All my garbage so far.
Old 10th February 2018

Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,114 Posts
Liked 1,578 Times in 796 Posts

Sounds like you'd be better off sending it to me Henry to send off to Portugal
Only joking hope you don't need to.
Old 10th February 2018

Thanked 1,025 Times in 778 Posts
Liked 4,596 Times in 1,502 Posts

Wonder what will happen to Olympus service in the UK after Brexit? Cameras stuck for weeks in customs?
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Greytop (11th February 2018), Jim Ford (10th February 2018)
Old 10th February 2018

Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,114 Posts
Liked 1,578 Times in 796 Posts

Better get mine fixed now then!
Old 10th February 2018

Liked 35 Times in 24 Posts

I too have praise for the Olympus facility in Portugal. I smashed the front element of my 7-14 Pro against concrete. They communicated well about the cost, and did the repair quickly and returned the lens in perfect condition.

Perhaps those of you in Australia could send your equipment directly to Portugal?
MJ224 (10th February 2018)
Old 10th February 2018

Liked 1,887 Times in 969 Posts

Fom the UK, I have used the Oly servicing twice. First for an EPL5 shutter replacement and secondly for a lens clean and service.

About a fortnight for both, and pleased with the results.........

My Flickr
Old 11th February 2018

Thanked 1,181 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 1,556 Times in 916 Posts

When I asked Olympus in Sydney about repairing my failed 12-60 SWD lens they said they aren't equipped for it anymore. I think it's quite likely they don't have the experienced staff anymore by the sound of Larry's debacle. That's rather sad. At least I only have to drive an hour to bang on their door (or reception counter).

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
griffljg (11th February 2018)
Old 11th February 2018

I suppose that the one good thing to come out of this is the realisation that I only have to send my camera to the Olympus Sydney repair centre for warranty repairs. For all out-of-warranty repairs, I take my cameras / lenses / flashes to http://www.andersoncamera.com.au/ in Capalaba, which is very close to where I live.

They even managed to repair my old 12-60mm SWD lens when it had the same problem as Ross'.

The Following User Says Thank You to griffljg For This Useful Post:
Ross the fiddler (11th February 2018)
Old 11th February 2018

Thanked 1,181 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 1,556 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
I suppose that the one good thing to come out of this is the realisation that I only have to send my camera to the Olympus Sydney repair centre for warranty repairs. For all out-of-warranty repairs, I take my cameras / lenses / flashes to http://www.andersoncamera.com.au/ in Capalaba, which is very close to where I live.

They even managed to repair my old 12-60mm SWD lens when it had the same problem as Ross'.
Olympus did give me a name of a repairer in Sydney with this reply.

Quote:
Hi Ross,

Unfortunately due to the age of the lens, there are no support or equipment to service this lens. However, some camera repairers in the city may still have the equipment to do so. Please contact the repairer below and find out if he can assist. His name is Reza.

Five Star Camera Repairs
13/99 York St, Sydney NSW 2000, Australia

Tel - +61 2 9299 2206

http://fivestarcamerarepairs.com.au/
I haven't tried though.
Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following User Says Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
griffljg (11th February 2018)
Old 11th February 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phill D View Post
Sounds like you'd be better off sending it to me Henry to send off to Portugal
Only joking hope you don't need to.
You have to move to Scotland if I need to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Wonder what will happen to Olympus service in the UK after Brexit? Cameras stuck for weeks in customs?

All my garbage so far.
Old 12th February 2018

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:

Hi Larry
Could you please advise how much it cost to repair your 12-60 I have mine as a paper weight at the moment
Cheers
John
Old 12th February 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Hi Larry
Could you please advise how much it cost to repair your 12-60 I have mine as a paper weight at the moment
Cheers
John
I can't remember exactly, but it was in the region of $350 which, considering the new lens replacement cost of about $1300, I was prepared to pay.

The Following User Says Thank You to griffljg For This Useful Post:
ozzie (13th February 2018)