Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 3 Weeks Ago

Liked 1,077 Times in 431 Posts
Camera cleaning

Following on from the holiday where I used the camera in the sea, dropped it several times in woods, used it in the rain and generally abused it - I've sat down to give it a good clean.

Everything has come clean surprisingly easily, except for two items...
  • I've managed to get bee propolis* into the textured plastic grip on the zoom and focus rings on my 12-40PRO, and it won't come off - very reluctant to use solvents here!
  • I also have some dirt stuck to the inside of the 300 f4PRO lens hood - which is flock lined and non-removable.

Anyone any suggestions - neither are affecting performance but look a bit shabby!

*Bee propolis is made from tree sap/resin

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,026 Times in 779 Posts
Liked 4,598 Times in 1,503 Posts
Re: Camera cleaning

For the 12-40 you can use pure ethanol or isopropyl alcohol without worry about paint damage. Just use a dampened cloth or a cleaning stick and don't go crazy pouring it over the lens.

Not sure what to suggest about the flock lining. Probably a small brush - toothbrush maybe?
Portfolio Site
Instagram