Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 17th September 2018

Liked 46 Times in 40 Posts
Sd card failure ???

Whilst out with my em1 mk2 I had a warning come up card failure. On the computer at home all photos were there. On flicking through them I noticed a couple had what as best described as a small black oblong box in the image which is easily removed with the aware tool. Has anyone had a similar experience. The card is a Lexar 16GB UHS 2 x1000. It seems on looking on line these are not available any more, I do know that Lexar have stopped production of their memory cards. I prefer 16GB or less for just this kind of scenario so there should be less loss of images/data if itís a complete failure of the card. Any suggestions for replacements. This is obviously for the top slot on the em1 mk2
Kind regards mike.
Old 17th September 2018

Liked 988 Times in 484 Posts
Re: Sd card failure ???

Useful list here.

https://alikgriffin.com/best-memory-...lympus-em1-ii/

My Flickr
Old 17th September 2018

Liked 1,910 Times in 979 Posts

I used the same card for my TG-5. To download photos, I generally take the card out of the card and put it in the computer, download and replace back in the camera.

The Lock slide button invariably slid to Lock position whilst putting the card back in the camera, which meant I had to unlock the waterproof door to get the SD out and unlock it. A bit of a *allsache. Thus I thought I might remove the lock slide from the SD card. Alas this manoeuvre managed to split the card, and the actual chip fell out.

Tried to repair it, but it was shot. Fortunately, a normal fast SD card does the job, but feel the quality of the Lexar mechanics was not good...Ö.

My Flickr
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 217 Times in 158 Posts

Ive tended to stick to Lexar in recent years (prior to them changing hands) and never yet had any issues (touches wood). I’ve had other, cheaper makes of card come apart and the chip fall out but they’ve always gone back together again. Not sure I’d buy more Lexar if they are made by someone else, but who knows where this stuff actually comes from anyway. I’d be more worried that I was actually getting counterfeit cards than anything else.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Same card Lexar UHS II 16 Mb 1000X gave me card error on my E-M1.2 6 months ago and replaced.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 103 Times in 67 Posts

I noice that Amazon still list some UHS-II 16Gb cards but more expensive that 32Gb! You can always use a larger card but download more frequently, to guard against loss.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 35 Times in 24 Posts

Change to SanDisk Extreme Pro, I use their UHS II 300MB/s 64GB cards. They are what Olympus recommend and they are excellent.
Lexar had some technical issues (timing issue in the card firmware) with some cards before they stopped production. They fixed the problem and gave free replacements to anyone who complained. I imagine it is too late now.

Buy them from Amazon, not Amazon Marketplace. Amazon themselves don't sell the fake ones.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growltiger View Post
Change to SanDisk Extreme Pro, I use their UHS II 300MB/s 64GB cards. They are what Olympus recommend and they are excellent.
I should hope they would be excellent. The last time I looked there were a comical price. This from someone who paid £80 for a 64GB 2000x Lexar card and thought that was ridiculous given that a few weeks before that I paid £20 for a 64GB 1000x Lexar.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Make sure you look at both the read and write speeds. You want fast write and that's always expensive! It's not always obvious unless you look closely at the specs.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Thanks for all your replies does anyone think the small oblong box of black pixels is a warning of impending breakdown ??? I regularly reformat the cards i have after every use! The sandisk is a lot more money than the Lexar cards and the memory is a lot more too.
Kind regards mike
Old 4 Weeks Ago

If you use Windows, you could run Chkdsk on the card and see if there are any bad sectors. I wouldn't rely on it as a main card, if there are.

Last edited by MikeOxon; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:53 PM. Reason: error - corrected scandisk to chkdsk
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Liked 237 Times in 132 Posts

I had issues with one SD card in my E-PL5. I got the thumbnails but not the full size JPG. It was because I'd formatted the card on a PC and the file structure was corrupted.
I reformatted the card in camera and it worked OK but in the end I decided it wasn't worth risking my pictures for the sake of the cost of the card.

I would run error checking - on Windows 10, right click on the card, choose "properties>Tools>Error Checking" but I probably wouldn't risk it for anything important.

I see the UHS-ii cards are very expensive - if you don't need the burst mode speed then I would look at slower cards.
However if I'd forked out for the E-M1ii I'd bite the bullet and get the best performance available.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Well fortunately or unfortunately I purchased 4 of these cards so I will continue and see if the warnings appear again and then dump the bad card. I suppose I cannot complain to much this is the first time since digital took over that a card has got a problem back in the day compact flash cards were less than a Gigabyte. In fact Iíve still got the original Canon s3 from about 20years ago? And the cards.
Kind regards mike
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Compact Flash? Still current on some Canikon bodies. I’ve still got a few MMC cards, the biggest of which is 128MB
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I recall that my first Canon compact (A20) came with an 8MB card. That wouldn't hold half a photo nowadays!

For holiday snapshots, I usually buy a number of smaller, cheaper cards such as Sandisk Ultra 16GB at around £6 each. You only need high-speed cards if you use video or high-speed continuous shooting.