Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 6th September 2018

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Olympus UK / European warranty period - worth to extend?

Hi, I'm just wondering if anyone can help me here...
i just bought a second hand E-M1 II body yesterday which was originally purchased in December 2016 in UK (from ITBEX London)...

the receipt says: 1 Year Manufacturers Warranty
when i registered the camera to my account on my.olympus-consumer.com/ it showed that it has 2 years "standard European warranty", also as I'm registered with them i have another 6 months warranty - so according to the webpage the warranty should be until June 2019...
would that make sense this way?
i used a lot of Olympus bodies over the last 15 years (and touch wood) i never has any issues - but as you know: the devil never sleeps...

so, would that make sense to purchase the "3 years extended warranty", as that's valid only if it's registered within the "regular" warranty period - so it makes a big difference if that's 1 or 2 years in the UK...
just want to avoid buying the extra warranty, then it wouldn't been accepted saying that standard warranty period already expired in December 2017

thanx for any ideas / comments / help in advance
cheers, Tomas
Old 6th September 2018

Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
Re: Olympus UK / Europen warranty period - worth to extend?

There have been problems with the rear screen on early E-M5s (where the fastening screws had been overtightened on assembly eventually causing cracks in the screen surround) and the E-M1 Mk 1 has had its problems with the rear dial. So if you intend to keep the body after the guarantee runs out it could well be money well spent. But obviously if you are not likely to keep it that long, then don't bother.

I think you need to check that you can buy an extended guarantee for a secondhand body though... my initial assumption was that it was only available for new bodies but I haven't checked out the details.

Black OM-D E-M1 MkII, Silver PEN-F, Black Lumix GX7, and too many lenses!
The Following User Says Thank You to CJJE For This Useful Post:
dralum (6th September 2018)
Old 6th September 2018

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJJE View Post
There have been problems with the rear screen on early E-M5s (where the fastening screws had been overtightened on assembly eventually causing cracks in the screen surround) and the E-M1 Mk 1 has had its problems with the rear dial. So if you intend to keep the body after the guarantee runs out it could well be money well spent. But obviously if you are not likely to keep it that long, then don't bother.

I think you need to check that you can buy an extended guarantee for a secondhand body though... my initial assumption was that it was only available for new bodies but I haven't checked out the details.

thanx for the updates... yes, i'm planning to keep the body that's why i'm thinking to get the extended warranty...
unfortunately i couldn't get any detailed info on it, the only thing it says that the extended warranty needs to be activated before the standard warranty runs out...
no mention of second hand or new bodies only, also not sure if i'm already outside of this period (invoice shows 1 year), or if i'm still okay (Oly webpage shows Jun 2019)...

cheers, Tomas
Old 6th September 2018

Thanked 1,127 Times in 1,004 Posts
Liked 1,156 Times in 760 Posts
Re: Olympus UK / European warranty period - worth to extend?

Best to contact Olympus and they will tell you the set up I think warranties are transferable.
I have the extra three years on my mkii painless for peace of mind.
You get a code then log on to my Olympus registration? input code and it shows when the warranty runs out.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wee man For This Useful Post:
dralum (6th September 2018)
Old 6th September 2018

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Re: Olympus UK / European warranty period - worth to extend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee man View Post
Best to contact Olympus and they will tell you the set up I think warranties are transferable.
I have the extra three years on my mkii painless for peace of mind.
You get a code then log on to my Olympus registration? input code and it shows when the warranty runs out.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Thanx Ed...
i used this service previously with my E-M10 (it came with the camera then)...
i already registered the camera on my account (on my.olympus...) but it doesn't really mean anything i think...

anyway, would anyone be able to give me a phone number for Olympus UK to try the above?

thanx in advance...
Old 21st September 2018

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Hi, just an update on this (in case anyone else is/was/will be in the same shoes)...
I contacted Olympus yesterday and that's what I received back:

Good morning Mr. xxx,

Many thanks for providing the invoice.

As the camera has been purchased in the UK, it has been sold as a new product and VAT has been paid, it is covered by our 2 year manufacturer's warranty. You can therefore purchase and apply the 3 year extended warranty for it.

As mentioned, the warranty is based on a proof of purchase. As you have the original invoice from the retailer, it doesn't matter that you are the second owner of the camera.
Should the camera require repair, please provide us with a copy of this invoice when sending it to us and warranty can be considered.

If I can help you further with any questions, at any time, please don't hesitate to let me know. I will be happy to help you.

Kind regards, xxx
UK Customer & Technical Support

Thanx for the comments, ideas :-)
cheers, Tomas
The Following User Says Thank You to dralum For This Useful Post:
Bruce Clarke (30th September 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (24th September 2018), OM USer (21st September 2018)