Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 4th January 2018

Liked 25 Times in 14 Posts
Film / Slide Copying Rig

I have started a new thread here, as this subject has cropped up in several recent discussions. This is the set up I use to copy slides and negatives, using am E-M5 ii and Olympus 60 mm macro lens. The camera support parts are all Arca Swiss type rails and brackets, borrowed from my home-assembled multi-rail panorama bracket.

The base is a scrap piece of Ikea beech worktop, with an inset aluminium plate over the light source (an A4 LED panel) The sides of the hole under the inset panel are chamfered to avoid diffraction problems. The base is fitted with 19mm MDF feet, to allow clearance underneath for the light panel.

A 200 mm Arca Swiss rail is bolted to the base, and holds a 90 degree clamp.

The 90 degree clamp holds a 150 mm Hejnar rail. This rail has an adjustable clamp, set at 90 degrees to the usual angle.

The Hejnar clamp supports a 200 mm Rail / Clamp, which in turn holds the camera (fitted with a dedicated L Plate). The combination of the two rails allows the camera to be raised or lowered, like an enlarger head.

I use an Epson negative and slide carrier (with the original locating tabs sawn off). This slides against a piece of aluminium angle screwed to the base board, which acts as a fence to keep the "up and down" position of the copied material constant with the position of the camera.

I have used materials which I had to hand, If buying from scratch I would probably have made a 90 degree timber bracket to fix to the base, This would then require just a simple Arca Swiss type clamp and the 200 mm vertical clamp rail.

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CS4.jpg (44.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg CS5.jpg (39.4 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg CS1.jpg (39.2 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg CS6.jpg (27.5 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg CS7.jpg (74.9 KB, 63 views)

Last edited by Graham_of_Rainham; 4th January 2018 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Up scale thumbnails
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dcbrookes For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (4th January 2018), Jim Ford (4th January 2018), shenstone (5th January 2018)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Graham_of_Rainham (4th January 2018)
Old 4th January 2018
Administrator

Liked 1,355 Times in 796 Posts
Re: Film / Slide Copying Rig

For the very few times I have copied Slides or Negs., I've used my old OM Bellows Macro with copy attachment.

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
The Following User Says Thank You to Graham_of_Rainham For This Useful Post:
drmarkf (4th January 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (4th January 2018), KeithL (5th January 2018)
Old 5th January 2018

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

Problem that I've found with slide copiers is that the results don't seem all that sharp; and they are affected by the back lighting colour (e.g. depends what sort of light outside.) One problem, I think, with commercial slide copiers, is the quality of the inbuilt lens. My copier has a close-up lens built in, and is attached to the camera lens using an adaptor that screws into the filter thread. Can't help feeling that it would be better without the close-up lens.

But this has made me wonder if using a baseplate similar to David's one, with LED back light, and a used bellows say off eBay to mount the camera, attached to a simple right angle bracket, it might be possible to make a decent job of it?
Old 5th January 2018

Liked 1,473 Times in 892 Posts

I use a light pad having a colour temp of 6200K.

on flickr
Old 5th January 2018
Administrator

I either do a White Balance off the diffuser in the slide holder when using "Daylight" or use an FL-50R.

The Lens is an OM 80mm bellows Macro, that is very sharp.

Old 5th January 2018

Liked 486 Times in 318 Posts

I'm using a white LED panel like this one - there are loads available on eBay for next to nothing. That illuminates a Unitor slide copier holder, and a m.Zuiko 30mm 3.5 macro lens. More details and pics when I've finished building the rig but initial results are very promising. How even the spectrum is from the panel I don't know, it's probably not up to scientific instrument levels but it does a decent job as far as I can see - and it's very bright!
Old 5th January 2018

Liked 1,473 Times in 892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
I either do a White Balance off the diffuser in the slide holder when using "Daylight" or use an FL-50R.

The Lens is an OM 80mm bellows Macro, that is very sharp.

Are you getting sufficient DoF to offset the inherent bowing of the negative / slide. On flatbeds some add a sheet of ANR glass to sanwitch the neg on the platen.

on flickr
Old 5th January 2018
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Are you getting sufficient DoF to offset the inherent bowing of the negative / slide. On flatbeds some add a sheet of ANR glass to sanwitch the neg on the platen.
DoF is very limited, as little as 0.02mm, but at f/8 the flash gun is more than capable of pushing out enough light.

Making sure the Neg/Slide is flat is very important, but Olympus did a good job on the design of the copy attachment and it works well.

Old 5th January 2018

Liked 486 Times in 318 Posts

If I'm reading this chart correctly the DoF of my 30mm macro at f/8 and 0.13m focussing distance is around 2mm. Using the 10x magnify function on the rear screen of the Pen-F film grain is sharp across the whole negative so I don't foresee an issue. A 35mm neg or slide would need to be very bowed to exceed 2mm; the slide copier holds film pretty flat. The proof of course will be in the final result but if all else fails there is always focus merge I guess ... .
Old 5th January 2018

Liked 25 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
Problem that I've found with slide copiers is that the results don't seem all that sharp; and they are affected by the back lighting colour (e.g. depends what sort of light outside.) One problem, I think, with commercial slide copiers, is the quality of the inbuilt lens. My copier has a close-up lens built in, and is attached to the camera lens using an adaptor that screws into the filter thread. Can't help feeling that it would be better without the close-up lens.

But this has made me wonder if using a baseplate similar to David's one, with LED back light, and a used bellows say off eBay to mount the camera, attached to a simple right angle bracket, it might be possible to make a decent job of it?
Slide copiers are pretty poor because of the built in lens, which is rarely better than a doublet and usually worse. I have used a slide copier minus its lens and attached to the filter thread of a macro lens, but the focal length of the lens is critical and the whole process is very fiddly (and no good for negatives).

I have also tried using my old BPM bellows with a 50mm Schhneider enlarger lens, but the problem was that the bellows do not compress enough (obviously they were designed for 35mm use) to allow the whole frame to be covered. The setup would have covered one of Ricoh's half frame negs, but not a full frame one. It would probably have worked with an 80 or 105 mm lens, but I did not have one to hand.

You mentioned in a previous thread, Keith, that you had problems copying glass mounted slides - a decent camera based setup would give you full control over the plane of focus, and probably give better results than a scanner. When I first got my E-M5 ii I tried my setup in High-Res mode with a GePe glass mounted slide, and was very happy with the result.

David
The Following User Says Thank You to dcbrookes For This Useful Post:
KeithL (6th January 2018)
Old 6th January 2018

Liked 1,382 Times in 810 Posts

This gives an idea of the quality I got. The colours have deteriorated a bit with age, but that can be corrected.

It's Coughton Court, BTW, where the wives of the Gunpowder Plotters waited for news in the tower room. You can guess the age from the cars!

[IMG][/IMG]
The Following User Says Thank You to KeithL For This Useful Post:
dcbrookes (6th January 2018)
Old 6th January 2018

Liked 99 Times in 66 Posts

I used a length of black drainpipe tubing, attached to the filter ring of my macro lens to make a simple slide copier. I designed it originally for my Nikon D70 but it works quite well with the 60mm macro on my E-M1. Ideally, the tube should now be a little shorter. Details are on my website at http://home.btconnect.com/mike.flemming/technic2.htm

Because the subject is attached to the camera, make sure you switch off the image stabilisation, otherwise you will see an interesting display of how much the sensor moves around, as the camera wobbles
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeOxon For This Useful Post:
MJ0RZD (6th January 2018)