Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1

Olympus OM-D E-M1 The first Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 14th January 2014

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Recommended next pruchase?

Hi folks,

I have been comtemplating on adding to my E-M1 and 12-40mm f2.8 lens kit.

I'm not a Pro and nor am I ever likely to have the funds to accumulate a collection of several lenses (home purchase also on the agenda, after which funds will be much more tight!). But I'd like to make one more purchase while I can to expand my photographic and creative horizons. I favour people shots and portraits.

The contenders (in random order::

1. FL600R flash - I always think that lenses and light are the most worthwhile photographic assets. I have a great lens and the flash would allow me a lot of creative lighting opportunities. But how much would I actually use it?

2. 45mm F1.8 Lens - as the 12-40 is I do wish I could get shallower depth of field for portaits. But other than the DOF and lower light capability is it really adding that much creative opportunity (compared for example to the flash).?

3. 17mm F1.8 Lens - the 12-40 is bulky and heavy and the E-M1 feels like a very different (and much more portable) camera with the 17mm lens. I like the idea of a go anywhere lens that makes a package I can carry easily and discretely and offers better low light opportunity. BUT reports on the 17mm are sometimes average and so other than portability (and a bit of additional low light capability) there seems to be little photographic benefit (at this field of view I'm unlikely to gain much in terms of shallower DOF).

So, my fellow users, if you could add only one of these to my kit which would it be...???
Old 14th January 2014
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,118 Times in 917 Posts
Liked 750 Times in 497 Posts
Re: Recommended next pruchase?

I've not used a flash gun in 7 years! Everyone should own the 45mm. I doubt you'd use the 17mm much if you have the 12-40.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, Olympus E-1 + Olympus and Bronica film

My Flickr site
The Following User Liked This Post:
pvasc (14th January 2014)
Old 14th January 2014

Liked 1,236 Times in 482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenL View Post
I've not used a flash gun in 7 years! Everyone should own the 45mm. I doubt you'd use the 17mm much if you have the 12-40.
+1 to what he said :-)

Everyone should have the 45...

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 14th January 2014

Liked 434 Times in 308 Posts

Borrow an E5 and a 12-60 lens and carry it around for a few days - this will recalibrate your understanding of weight and bulk and will help you to appreciate the lightness and small size of what you have at the moment.

I would suggest the 75 to 300mm Mk11 lens to extend your reach.
If you go for the flash gun, get a bounce flash device so the gun is never directly pointed at the subject.
Old 14th January 2014

Liked 2,445 Times in 770 Posts

Does anybody here own both the 12-40 f2.8 and the 45 f1.8? I would be very interested to hear how the 12-40mm used at 40mm compares to the 45mm for portraits. Just how much difference does the extra stop of aperture make and how does the IQ compare?

I also wanted an extra lens to accompany my 75-300 II zoom and couldn't decide between the 45mm and the 60mm macro. In the end I went for the 60mm as I hope that I will get more use from it photographing butterflies and dragonflies in the summer. It also copes well with portraits, although the only time I have used it for this so far was at Christmas, when a room full of small children hurtling about was not really a fair test. It still did a pretty good job, though. Unfortunately as the maximum aperture is the same as the 12-40mm at f2.8, it is of no advantage to you, Angus.

Ron
Old 14th January 2014

Liked 39 Times in 26 Posts

I will second the 45mm; it is a beautiful lens, small, light, incredibly sharp and not 'that' expensive compared to other Olympus lenses. I don't have the 12-40mm so I can't comment on how it compares. I do have the 12-60mm though and whilst it is a lovely lens, it is fairly heavy and slightly slow to focus so it wouldn't be my first choice for people.

I also have the 60mm which again is a lovely lens and still good for portraits but as has already been stated is fantastic for macro and therefore perhaps might be more useful long term if you wanted that capability and something that sits between the focal length of the lenses you already own.

I have the FL50r flashgun that I bought from a member here; it is great but I rarely use it, probably just twice now as I far prefer natural light. However it is a good investment even if it is bigger than my camera
Old 14th January 2014

Liked 94 Times in 57 Posts

I think the best bang for the buck in your list would be the 45mm. Of course you don't have to splash out for an FL-600, there are other cheaper options. The big ? you need to answer is how often is what you buy going to spend on the camera, or in the bag? I agree that everyone should have the 45mm. It is incredible when it comes to sharpness.
Old 14th January 2014

Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,279 Posts
Liked 1,120 Times in 766 Posts

The 12-40mm is such a good lens that it is difficult to recommend anything else in a similar focal length for (as you put it) "photographic benefit".

On a value for money basis the majority opinion has always been for the 45mm/F1.8 but not having one I can't say how much better it is than the 12-40mm/F2.8. (I use an old Zuiko 50mm/F1.2 when I want shallow DOF or pictures of a black cat in a coal cellar).

The 17mm/F1.8 will give you portability but so will the 17mm/F2.8 at half the price (today's Amazon rates).

Try and think where the 12-40mm is letting you down and that should give you a clue as to your next lens.

I rarely use flash, but when I do its with the little clip on for a bit of fill in or with an old T32 at full power when I'm trying to fill a large space.
Old 14th January 2014
Administrator

Liked 1,414 Times in 819 Posts

If you can wait for the new 40-150 and don't mind the size/cost then that's well worth considering.

The current 40-150 is excellent and outperforms anything in the same price.

If you have the MMF-3 then there are some good FT Macro lenses on eBay and a 50mm f/2 really is something special.

It's worth analysing the images you have to see what focal length you use most and invest in the best glass for that range.

http://www.vandel.nl/

Have fun

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 14th January 2014

Liked 148 Times in 93 Posts

--------------------
Old 14th January 2014

Liked 628 Times in 434 Posts

I love the 45/1.8 and 17/1.8, both seem to be excellent performers. You lose the flexibility of a zoom but you gain a stop, and they are both pretty compact.

And remember - if you want to try out a lens that would be expensive to buy, there is always Ian's hire service. I can't comment from experience, not having used it, but many people here have said it is excellent.

Ciao ... John
Old 14th January 2014

Liked 463 Times in 161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
If you can wait for the new 40-150 and don't mind the size/cost then that's well worth considering.
It's a biggy.

http://www.43rumors.com/first-olympu...t-spotted-too/
Old 14th January 2014

Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

Avoid the FL600R, my brother recently bought one, he said he hates the continuous flashing red light on the front which can't be switched off...he has found others with the same opinion, and he prefers the FL36R.
I have the 12-40 and love it... I now need a longer than 300 lens but not sure if I need a mirror lens or EC14 behind a 70-300 or other...
Old 14th January 2014

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Hi, the fl600r only blinks when in RC mode if you use of camera, some put masking tape over the led, it does not bother me, I like the unit and it is well balanced on the em5/m1
The Following User Says Thank You to Glee For This Useful Post:
jamsa (14th January 2014)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
jamespetts (16th January 2014), jamsa (14th January 2014)
Old 14th January 2014

Liked 1,278 Times in 300 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsa View Post
I now need a longer than 300 lens but not sure if I need a mirror lens or EC14 behind a 70-300 or other...
You also have the option of the longer Sigma lenses in 4/3 fit, either the 135 - 400 or the Bigma 50 - 500.

I have both however, the 135 - 400 has hardly been used as I bought the Bigma shortly after buying it.

Dave