Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Old 3rd September 2008
Administrator

Liked 1,355 Times in 796 Posts
Glass Bottle Glass

While posted here, this is a concept I've been thinking about for some time.

It needs to be worked on to get the lighting right, the reflections, etc., even the size of the glasses needs to be considered, so perhaps this is the right place to post this as I'm after comments that will guide me towards perfecting this image.

I tried Glass Bottle - Bottle Glass as a tribute to Tommy Cooper but it simply didn't work (but then again neither did his tricks to start with...)

Thanks in anticipation of some really creative comments

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 3rd September 2008

Liked 1,208 Times in 475 Posts
Re: Glass Bottle Glass

Ooh dear me, this is going to be a tricky shot to perfect...

My 2 pence would be: Darkened room, translucent background and flash from behind the background. That way you should get your white background with no reflections in the glass..

Well, that's the theory.

Pete

(Nice idea for an image btw)

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 3rd September 2008

Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts

Graham,

What a lovely concept. I looked at this image several times and found that there was little I could add to this - sorry.

One comment I would like to make though is that the reflections in the glasses of the bottom of the bottle do not seem to line up properly. I know this is minor but I thought it worth mentioning.

Great idea, look forward to seeing it developed.

cheers

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 3rd September 2008
Makonde

Nice idea, with the reflections and refractions. I agree with Pete that it might be worth trying to eliminate the bright reflections of the window. Risks being a bit two-dimensional as I guess you have little latitude in aligning the glasses with the bottle and in the angle at which you take the pic? How does it work with red wine btw? Another thing to play with might be soft focus, which could lend a little luxurious inebriated effect...

I can see you are going to have hours of fun with this one. Await next version.
Old 3rd September 2008

Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts

I think this is a good composition, to develop it further I think I would experiment with an open bottle, as you have wine in the glasses, or even attempt some pouring pics. Personally I dont think you need to worry too much about the reflections, I think its the reflections and refractions which are indicative of glass, all I would say is make sure that they are not so obvious that they detract the eye away from the composition..... or make the reflections the story i.e. have something interesting happening and focus more closely. Just a few ramblings which I hope are helpful.
Shirley
Old 3rd September 2008
gno

To me the idea would work better with red wine, the white looks cold.

Regards

Gavin
Old 3rd September 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think that the liquid in the glasses for the final shot needs to have come out of the bottle in the picture.
Old 3rd September 2008

Liked 33 Times in 17 Posts

I read once that glasses of wine always look best with exactly two bubbles showing and this does seem to work best if you look at the advertisments

Roger
Old 3rd September 2008

Liked 36 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerMac View Post
I read once that glasses of wine always look best with exactly two bubbles showing and this does seem to work best if you look at the advertisments

Roger
You are assuming its wine. Could be water

Peter

PeterD

www.imageinuk.com/
Old 3rd September 2008

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like the idea, I like the green bottle and I like the clear liquid in the glasses, I think it's a real challenge to get this combination spot on.

I think you need to set up a lightbox of some sort, even an improvised one with plain white paper as reflectors, to stop getting the reflection of the window on the bottle and somehow to give the clear glasses a real zing. Maybe a long exposure would help too?

Probably irrelevant, but this chap takes some interesting pictures of red "wine" against a black background. The ones here aren't, I think, his best. http://www.beaulieucameragroup.co.uk...up/Album25.htm