Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Photo challenges

Photo challenges Meet the challenge of posting your photos in fun competitions set by e-group users, or set one yourself!

Old 1st March 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
39th Challenge "Blot On The Landscape"

This month’s challenge is called *Blot on the Landscape". The theme is totally open to anything where one can see that the subject of the photo shows something which you feel spoils/destroys the view.

We're all love a to see a serene picture of green field, rolling hills, mountains still lakes etc but all too often these days there is something which spoils the image so this one should give you plenty of scope.

This is my first challenge, so looking forward to receiving your entries.
Voting as usual will be simply a reaction first to the title, then to the technical merits.

Hope you enjoy the challenge

Roger.

The How To Enter Bit

-Max of 800 pixels wide or high
-Up to 512Kbytes
-EXIF intact please
-Taken by you on an E-series camera between Tuesday 1st March 2011 and Sunday 27th March 2011 inclusive.
-Please include your name, your forum moniker and a title for the picture.

Full rules:

1. Photos should be taken (dated in EXIF) between Tuesday 1st March 2011 and Sunday 27th March inclusive and sent in during that period. Photos will be posted in the gallery as soon as possible. We will vote in the week after this, voting will be completed by midnight Saturday 2nd April 2011. I will announce the results on Monday 4th April 2011.

2. You must be the photographer who created the picture in order to enter the challenge, and all entries must be visibly anonymous and should be sent to the challenge organiser. You must indicate (a) your real name, (b) your e-group forum name and (c) a title for your photo, in the email. Any entries that are not clearly identifiable and verifiable won't be entered into the challenge.

3. Entries to the challenge :-Should contain no watermarks, distinguishing effects and no borders

Must be jpg format and no more than 800 pixels on the longest edge
Must have been taken on an Olympus E-Series camera
Must have all EXIF data included for the organiser to verify.
Max file size to suit the gallery here is 512kb.

4. You need to be registered on e-group.uk.net forums to qualify for entry into the challenge. The organiser may also enter the challenge (the entries are anonymous and the organiser is trusted to record votes accurately).

5. Only one entry permitted per challenge please. But if you want to withdraw an entry or replace it with another that's OK, you must make it clear in an email to the challenge organiser before the closing date, also ensure the email contains clear instructions and (if required) your replacement picture.

6. Voting on the challenge:-

Any registered member of the e-group forum may vote, including those who submit entries.

Those who submit entries may vote for their own photo but are expected to allot their choices fairly on perceived merit.
Voters should list their three choices in order of preference, by display number and title to avoid confusion.

Points will be allotted as follows: three to first choice, two to second choice, one to third choice.

Please email me with the image attached at rogertee@360.com and please include the words Olympus Challenge in the title line.

Good luck!

Roger
Old 1st March 2011

Liked 310 Times in 214 Posts
Re: 39th Challenge "Blot On The Landscape"

Nice one!
Will try and enter this.

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, E-PL5, HLD-9, 17, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), Nikon F80 (film), 28-105 Sigma, GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 2nd March 2011

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

Will need to get out of the city.........good one!

David.
If you think education's expensive, try ignorance.
Old 2nd March 2011

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

You could have a blot on the landscape in a city. Graffitti, or an inconveniently placed lamp-post, might be considered a blot on the urban landscape, for example.

dJE
Old 2nd March 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by danellis View Post
You could have a blot on the landscape in a city. Graffitti, or an inconveniently placed lamp-post, might be considered a blot on the urban landscape, for example.

dJE
Good point - I was thinking "Cityscape", but I guess "Urban Landscape" would be ok. Roger?

David.
Old 2nd March 2011

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

Hi David

Whats your views on the use of photoshop for this months challenge, as its always down to the individual person hosting the challenge, if they allow it or not.

I have had an idea in my mind to try for a while and this subject would be a perfect excuse to do it

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 2nd March 2011

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This one has started something Cityscape I will accept "Urban Landscape" which I think opens up the field (excuse the pun) and broadens the scope for city dwelers.

Stephen as for Photoshop not keen on that one probably many of us spend time sitting in front of a screen getting rid of the "Blots" rather than adding them if that is what you are thinking, my idea was to get you all out and about now that spring is around the corner. What do others think prepared to take a consensus on the idea.

Regards

Roger
Old 2nd March 2011

Liked 76 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger.Tomblin@vodafone.ne View Post
Stephen as for Photoshop not keen on that one probably many of us spend time sitting in front of a screen getting rid of the "Blots" rather than adding them if that is what you are thinking, my idea was to get you all out and about now that spring is around the corner. What do others think prepared to take a consensus on the idea.

Regards

Roger
Cheers Roger, no problem, its your Challenge and thats perfectly fine. Its a great idea and will give me something to think about

Wedding Photography Wales | Commercial Photography | Party Photographer Cardiff | Cheap Business Cards | Photoshop Training Cardiff
Old 3rd March 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger.Tomblin@vodafone.ne View Post
This one has started something Cityscape I will accept "Urban Landscape" which I think opens up the field (excuse the pun) and broadens the scope for city dwelers.

Regards

Roger
Cool. Thanks Roger.

But I still have to *do* something!

David.
Old 15th March 2011

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Thought I would just give this a bump so its not forgotten

Dave