Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > General photography discussion

General photography discussion Please look for a specific board to start your thread but if you can't find an appropriate one, post it here.

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,182 Times in 935 Posts
Liked 1,558 Times in 918 Posts
Exclamation "OLYMPUS Investor Day 2018" (2018/9/5)

One of the key points for us as users & buyers of cameras & lenses is the statement:
"Expand sales of highly-profitable OM-D series cameras and PRO series lenses" as seen in this PDF document found here. https://www.olympus-global.com/ir/da...y.html?page=ir

Here's a bit more of a quote from that document.
Quote:
Improve Profitability

* Expand sales of highly-profitable OM-D series cameras and PRO series lenses:
Mirrorless camera system that are uniquely Olympus, attaining high level of compatibility between
overwhelmingly compact & lightweight and high image quality with the Micro Four Thirds Standard

* Accelerate development of products aimed for professional and high-level amateur users

* Improve manufacturing cost ratio by consolidation of manufacturing facilities and improved
efficiency in manufacturing startups
Unfortunately there are a lot of "doomsday" cries from the dregs of the rumour sites with this document's details & the forecast sales etc., particularly because Olympus has not chosen to join the 'me too' FF brigade. Anyhow, take a look for yourself, although you may have already seen this discussed (ad nauseam) on the rumour sites.
There is one person (Humza Ahmad in replying to Karsten) that posted a sensible comment though, starting with "For Olympus, the photography business carries their brand. They may reduce the size and activity of the business in the future, but it won't go away. ..........."

Cameras: OM-D E-M1 & Mk II, Olympus Stylus 1, OM-D E-M5.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Flashes: FL36R X2, FL50R, FL50.
Software: Capture One Pro 10 (& Olympus Viewer 3).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ross the fiddler For This Useful Post:
Graham from Wirral (2 Weeks Ago), griffljg (2 Weeks Ago), OM USer (2 Weeks Ago)
The Following User Liked This Post:
AMc (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 104 Times in 38 Posts
Re: "OLYMPUS Investor Day 2018" (2018/9/5)

just hope olympus remain om1 innovative, reliable, small with good quality image potential and continue micro4/3 development, even if they remain alone in this format,fingers crossed for me.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsambwfc View Post
just hope olympus remain om1 innovative, reliable, small with good quality image potential and continue micro4/3 development, even if they remain alone in this format,fingers crossed for me.
They won't be alone. Panasonic have affirmed they won't be giving up on M4/3's.
Lenses: M.ZD12-40mm f2.8 PRO Lens, M.ZD40-150mm f2.8 PRO Lens with MC-14, M.ZD12-50, M.ZD60 Macro, M.ZD75-300 Mk II, MMF-3, ZD14-54 II, Sigma 150mm F2.8 APO Macro DG HSM.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 237 Times in 132 Posts

Hardly surprising the focus on professional and high level amateurs but it doesn’t thrill me.
The PRO lenses an E-M1 hold no attraction for me at their price points. I could afford them but they’re way north of what I’m happy to spend on my hobby.
It’ll be a shame if the lower end lenses and PEN line don’t get any more products but I guess I already have what I need.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts

When I bought the Em-1 new in 2013, the marketing pointed towards 'rivalling DSLRs', but its clear that there is no point Olympus trying to compete in the image quality arms war currently raging. I too hope that Olympus will continue to improve DR and iso performance in the next cameras, and also refocus on what the system does better than any other: Small, light, well-built, ergonomic, feature packed, priced competitively in relation to FF and DSLR cameras, and that the lens design philosophy moves in this direction too. Ive been hoping for a couple of light, small fixed telephotos such as a 100mm f2.8 (spiritual successor to the wonderful OM 100mm f2.8), in the Premium (rather than pro) range, priced inbeween the kit lenses and the Pro range. Im afraid I dont understand the reasoning behind the new PL 10-15 f1.7; too big, too heavy, too expensive, and it doesn't replace 5 primes, because who regularly carries all 5 around, or even owns all five? I recently bought a new OM10 11 from SRS for 234. Crazy price for a fabulous, fun little camera. The combination with the PL 15mm f1.7 is my favourite over more expensive options on an Em5ii. This is the spirit of M43 for me, and why I wont be lured into FF any time soon.
The Following Users Liked This Post:
chris (2 Weeks Ago), MJ224 (2 Weeks Ago), Ross the fiddler (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Thanked 1,026 Times in 779 Posts
Liked 4,598 Times in 1,503 Posts

As I said in another thread, I think it's a mistake for Olympus not to enter the FF market. If high end gear (= expensive and high profit margin) for professional and advanced amateurs is their target then they need FF.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Liked This Post:
griffljg (2 Weeks Ago)
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
As I said in another thread, I think it's a mistake for Olympus not to enter the FF market. If high end gear (= expensive and high profit margin) for professional and advanced amateurs is their target then they need FF.
But on the other hand, isn't the FF mirrorless field suddenly becoming saturated (or will be)? That's why I think it has become "me too" now with all those entering that sector. And I think Olympus could make it work as a serious alternative being a Pro sector with portability, but I really think they need to be really good with marketing it though. None of the tacky ads but real & convincing ads & marketing showing the real world strengths of the M4/3's system. They also need to produce the top camera with a markedly improved sensor, at least the rumour/leaks from that Simon (not Simon above) says the high ISO & low light ability will be better, therefore lessening the need to use FF for higher quality output.

Also, this is worth reading. https://www.43rumors.com/mark-d-youn...#disqus_thread
The Following Users Liked This Post:
drmarkf (1 Week Ago), Simon (1 Week Ago)