Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Foto Fair

Foto Fair Post your photos for friendly, non-critical feedback. This is the place to show pictures if you aren't yet ready for full-blooded critique, or simply want to share an interesting picture with other e-group visitors.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5th December 2017

Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
Communal Night-Sky Photography Thread

I'm still new to this forum, so I hope it doesn't seem presumptuous to start a new thread. I suspect that I am not alone in having been encouraged to have a go at night-sky photography by the recent publicity given to the 'super moon'. I have also been inspired by the examples in Greytop's thread.

I don't intend this topic to be limited to lunar images but hope others will want to explore the possibilities for all types of astro-photography. Having discovered some of the computer-processing techniques that can be used to clarify such images, I am looking forward to trying some planetary images. Unfortunately, at present, there don't seem to be any bright planets above the horizon before my bed time

For the following image, I used my new Olympus E-M1 Mk ii, together with my Pan/Leica 100-400 mm lens, at full zoom, to capture a burst of around 50 shots of the 'super moon'.

The camera was mounted on a tripod and I used MF to achieve sharp focus, viewing a magnified image on the screen. I used spot metering to assess an exposure of 1/1250s @ f/8 ISO 640 (including -0.3EV compensation, to retain highlights)

The final image is as much a product of computer processing as it is of photography! I followed a 'recipe' that I found on the web at https://darkartsastro.ca/lunar-image...s-it-worth-it/

This recipe involved pre-processing the individual shots with PIPP software , then using Registax 6 to 'stack' the individual images and, finally, using Lucy-Richardson deconvolution (available in the Raw Therapee image processor) to remove the blurring caused by atmospheric turbulence.

My final result is attached below:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Supermoon_20171203 [800x640].jpg (197.0 KB, 42 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeOxon For This Useful Post:
cliff (24th December 2017)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
cliff (24th December 2017), Greytop (5th December 2017)