Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!


Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Show your photos > Looking for improvement

Looking for improvement This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism. Anyone is qualified to comment and post feedback, and everyone is encouraged to do so. NB: "Looking for Improvement" is the place to post any pictures you would like advice on improving, no matter how bad you might think they are.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 22nd February 2018
alfbranch's Avatar
alfbranch alfbranch is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Whitehaven Cumbria
Posts: 6,295
Thanks: 1,498
Thanked 761 Times in 722 Posts
Likes: 1,022
Liked 2,329 Times in 828 Posts
Discussions on improvements

There are always ways to improve in photography and in search of such things I will post some shots for suggestion on how improve.

Remember you can say what you wish as far I am concerned but please do not comapre my work to some french street photographer.

Here is a shot taken on an Autumn evening on Parton beach.

Parton waves and rocks mono by Alf Branch, on Flickr

So waht do you suggest?
__________________
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Reply With Quote
The Following User Liked This Post:
shenstone (2nd October 2018)
  #2  
Old 22nd February 2018
snaarman's Avatar
snaarman snaarman is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Baaarkshire UK
Posts: 6,751
Thanks: 484
Thanked 416 Times in 324 Posts
Likes: 479
Liked 1,236 Times in 482 Posts
Re: Discussions on improvements

Ok. I was going to suggest the horizon was not straight but in fact it is perfect.

I think the headland on the left is fine. I'd like to know what the picture looks like in colour, though the mono look is very nice.

I guess the obvious comment might be to try a rather longer exposure to smooth those waves more..

Pete
__________________
Look, I'm an old man. I shouldn't be expected to put up with this.


Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snaarman For This Useful Post:
alfbranch (25th February 2018)
  #3  
Old 22nd February 2018
rkc rkc is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Worcestershire
Posts: 11
Thanks: 2
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Likes: 2
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Re: Discussions on improvements

Initial reaction:

Missing a foreground.
Not enough contrast between sea and sky
Too centred
What's the subject?

After some thought:

Middle (rocks) is lovely - as is texture of sea and just enough smoothing in the nearer water. I like the clouds on the horizon. But the foreground doesn't quite work for me, and the main point of interest - the gap in the rocks and the whirlpool in front of it - are right in the centre. Conventional wisdom says that's a bad idea, though I struggle to explain why. The top half of the sky is not really doing anything for the picture - perhaps try cropping off the top?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rkc For This Useful Post:
alfbranch (25th February 2018)
The Following User Liked This Post:
MikeOxon (23rd February 2018)
  #4  
Old 23rd February 2018
chris's Avatar
chris chris is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 830
Thanks: 78
Thanked 43 Times in 38 Posts
Likes: 460
Liked 214 Times in 69 Posts
Re: Discussions on improvements

I think its great as is, and wouldnt dream of giving critique to someone who is obviously on top of their game! Having said that, the left side of the picture is much nicer than the right IMO, just for the better rocks.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chris For This Useful Post:
alfbranch (25th February 2018)
  #5  
Old 25th February 2018
alfbranch's Avatar
alfbranch alfbranch is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Whitehaven Cumbria
Posts: 6,295
Thanks: 1,498
Thanked 761 Times in 722 Posts
Likes: 1,022
Liked 2,329 Times in 828 Posts
Re: Discussions on improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
Ok. I was going to suggest the horizon was not straight but in fact it is perfect.

I think the headland on the left is fine. I'd like to know what the picture looks like in colour, though the mono look is very nice.

I guess the obvious comment might be to try a rather longer exposure to smooth those waves more..

Pete
Thanks Pete
As for exposue time I prefer this type of movenemnet generally I use very long exposues less frequently. Also this was an occasion that spray would have rendered any multi second shoy useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkc View Post
Initial reaction:

Missing a foreground.
Not enough contrast between sea and sky
Too centred
What's the subject?

After some thought:

Middle (rocks) is lovely - as is texture of sea and just enough smoothing in the nearer water. I like the clouds on the horizon. But the foreground doesn't quite work for me, and the main point of interest - the gap in the rocks and the whirlpool in front of it - are right in the centre. Conventional wisdom says that's a bad idea, though I struggle to explain why. The top half of the sky is not really doing anything for the picture - perhaps try cropping off the top?
Thanks for the comment RKC it is interesting to read this and something I will consider. I look forward to seeing work from and welcome to the forum.


Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
I think its great as is, and wouldnt dream of giving critique to someone who is obviously on top of their game! Having said that, the left side of the picture is much nicer than the right IMO, just for the better rocks.
Thanks Chris
__________________
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 23rd February 2018
Ricoh Ricoh is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 5,085
Thanks: 542
Thanked 372 Times in 333 Posts
Likes: 667
Liked 1,566 Times in 949 Posts
Re: Discussions on improvements

Looks ok to me. However I'm viewing it on an iPad, so it maybe the device that's making it look very digital to me. Just a suggestion, it might be worth shooting some emulsion to tune your eye into how blacks and whites should look.
__________________
Steve

on flickr
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoh For This Useful Post:
alfbranch (25th February 2018)
  #7  
Old 23rd February 2018
OM USer's Avatar
OM USer OM USer is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London
Posts: 10,310
Thanks: 1,923
Thanked 1,341 Times in 1,279 Posts
Likes: 5,120
Liked 1,120 Times in 766 Posts
Re: Discussions on improvements

Well Alf, if you want some street photography you've gone to the wrong place. However you have gone to a place that has resulted in some very agreeable pics in the past. In this case I might say crop the top off down to the horizon but that is not a fault of the picture taking as you have a 4:3 lens.
__________________
Cameras: E-M5, E-PM2, OM40, OM4Ti
Lenses (M.Zuiko Digital): 7-14mm/F2.8, 12-40mm/F2.8, 40-150mm/F2.8+TC1.4x, 12-50mm/F3.5-6.3, 14-42mm/F3.5-5.6 EZ, 75-300mm/F4.8-6.7 Mk1, 12mm/F2, 17mm/F1.8
Lenses (OM Zuiko): 50mm/F1.2, 24mm/F2, 35mm/F2.8 shift
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
If you learn something new each day then that is not a day wasted.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OM USer For This Useful Post:
alfbranch (25th February 2018)
The Following User Liked This Post:
Petrochemist (7th October 2018)
  #8  
Old 25th February 2018
alfbranch's Avatar
alfbranch alfbranch is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Whitehaven Cumbria
Posts: 6,295
Thanks: 1,498
Thanked 761 Times in 722 Posts
Likes: 1,022
Liked 2,329 Times in 828 Posts
Re: Discussions on improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
Looks ok to me. However I'm viewing it on an iPad, so it maybe the device that's making it look very digital to me. Just a suggestion, it might be worth shooting some emulsion to tune your eye into how blacks and whites should look.
Thanks Ricoh
I have not shot printed mono emulsion for over 25 years I have shot and scanned mono more recently. My mono prinbting was not good enough IMO I am happier with digital mono as I can control it much more. Many people only manage to produce mono that IMO is about as good as machine mono prints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM USer View Post
Well Alf, if you want some street photography you've gone to the wrong place. However you have gone to a place that has resulted in some very agreeable pics in the past. In this case I might say crop the top off down to the horizon but that is not a fault of the picture taking as you have a 4:3 lens.
Thanks OM
I am not afraid to crop a shot to get it the may I want it. I can see why you suggest such a crop.
__________________
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alfbranch For This Useful Post:
OM USer (25th February 2018)
  #9  
Old 25th February 2018
Ricoh Ricoh is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Lancashire
Posts: 5,085
Thanks: 542
Thanked 372 Times in 333 Posts
Likes: 667
Liked 1,566 Times in 949 Posts
Re: Discussions on improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbranch View Post
Thanks Ricoh
I have not shot printed mono emulsion for over 25 years I have shot and scanned mono more recently. My mono prinbting was not good enough IMO I am happier with digital mono as I can control it much more. Many people only manage to produce mono that IMO is about as good as machine mono prints.
I do wish that another manufacturer would produce a monochrome digicam, and not leave all the glory to Leica.
__________________
Steve

on flickr
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoh For This Useful Post:
alfbranch (26th February 2018)
  #10  
Old 25th February 2018
Invicta's Avatar
Invicta Invicta is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Third rock from the sun
Posts: 981
Thanks: 66
Thanked 218 Times in 110 Posts
Likes: 11
Liked 59 Times in 38 Posts
Re: Discussions on improvements

alfbranch

I prefer the colour version, I think it this the black clouds in the B&W version that make it hard to understand. In the colour version it is obvious why they are so dark.

I think your photo would benefit from a square crop, not one I use often but it works in this case.

I took a screen shot and cropped as an example:



Just say of you want me to delete this crop.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Invicta For This Useful Post:
alfbranch (26th February 2018)
  #11  
Old 26th February 2018
alfbranch's Avatar
alfbranch alfbranch is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Whitehaven Cumbria
Posts: 6,295
Thanks: 1,498
Thanked 761 Times in 722 Posts
Likes: 1,022
Liked 2,329 Times in 828 Posts
Re: Discussions on improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invicta View Post
alfbranch

I prefer the colour version, I think it this the black clouds in the B&W version that make it hard to understand. In the colour version it is obvious why they are so dark.

I think your photo would benefit from a square crop, not one I use often but it works in this case.

I took a screen shot and cropped as an example:



Just say of you want me to delete this crop.
Thanks I like the crop and its a reason for taking part in proper critque.
__________________
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alfbranch For This Useful Post:
Invicta (26th February 2018)
  #12  
Old 26th February 2018
alfbranch's Avatar
alfbranch alfbranch is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Whitehaven Cumbria
Posts: 6,295
Thanks: 1,498
Thanked 761 Times in 722 Posts
Likes: 1,022
Liked 2,329 Times in 828 Posts
Re: Discussions on improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
I do wish that another manufacturer would produce a monochrome digicam, and not leave all the glory to Leica.
Yeah I think I could go for one myself if it was a decent price I would like a good mono camera.
__________________
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 25th February 2018
alfbranch's Avatar
alfbranch alfbranch is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Whitehaven Cumbria
Posts: 6,295
Thanks: 1,498
Thanked 761 Times in 722 Posts
Likes: 1,022
Liked 2,329 Times in 828 Posts
Re: Discussions on improvements

I am not going to show a colour version of the shot above. Here is a colour shot of the same location taken during the same session at the beach.

Parton sunset wave on rocks by Alf Branch, on Flickr

What do you think about this one?
__________________
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alfbranch For This Useful Post:
OM USer (25th February 2018)
The Following Users Liked This Post:
MJ224 (25th February 2018), yorky (25th February 2018)
  #14  
Old 25th February 2018
MJ224's Avatar
MJ224 MJ224 is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Carmarthenshire
Posts: 8,996
Thanks: 575
Thanked 451 Times in 427 Posts
Likes: 4,196
Liked 2,143 Times in 1,073 Posts
Re: Discussions on improvements

Have a preference to the colour version. The "fuller" water level was preferable from the original B/W, but that's just aesthetics (sp??)

I do like the mix of milky water and the more precise choppy water in the middle/back ground.

Works very well for me. I am just an ordinary punter, probably the one IP Wheatley referred too in Grrr. But I know what I like, and its just that simple for me.....................

My late Dad's mantra was "The Kiss" approach. "Keep it Simple, Stupid"

Hey ho.............
__________________
My Sailing Page

My Flickr
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MJ224 For This Useful Post:
alfbranch (26th February 2018)
  #15  
Old 26th February 2018
alfbranch's Avatar
alfbranch alfbranch is offline
Full member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Whitehaven Cumbria
Posts: 6,295
Thanks: 1,498
Thanked 761 Times in 722 Posts
Likes: 1,022
Liked 2,329 Times in 828 Posts
Re: Discussions on improvements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ224 View Post
Have a preference to the colour version. The "fuller" water level was preferable from the original B/W, but that's just aesthetics (sp??)

I do like the mix of milky water and the more precise choppy water in the middle/back ground.

Works very well for me. I am just an ordinary punter, probably the one IP Wheatley referred too in Grrr. But I know what I like, and its just that simple for me.....................

My late Dad's mantra was "The Kiss" approach. "Keep it Simple, Stupid"

Hey ho.............
Thanks Mark
__________________
OMD E-M1 OMD E-M5II MMF3 12-40 pro 12-50 EZ 14-42 EZ 9-18 f4.0 -5.6 40 -150f4-f5.6 R 60mm f2.8 macro Sigma 105 f2.8 macro Holga 60mm plastic Holga pinhole lens lens and a XZ-1 Olympus - 35 SP Trip 35 Pen EEs OM2sp

I nice view does not mean a good photograph. My FLickr

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suggestions for improvements blu-by-u Looking for improvement 12 23rd February 2018 07:44 AM
Delphinium with improvements sapper Looking for improvement 2 17th July 2017 11:02 AM
E-M1 v.3 firmware - CAF improvements pdk42 Olympus OM-D E-M1 50 25th February 2015 07:30 PM
Improvements CAF with EM5 MK I Daveart The lounge 0 20th February 2015 02:50 PM
Home Improvements Nick Temple-Fry Foto Fair 1 24th March 2008 06:15 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:40 AM.


The Write Technology Ltd, 2007-2018, All rights reservedAd Management plugin by RedTyger