Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Software

Software Discuss Olympus Master, Studio and Viewer software applications as well as third party programs like Adobe Photoshop, Lightroom, Apple Aperture, and others.

Old 2nd February 2017

Liked 121 Times in 80 Posts
Adobe price increase

Just had an email this morning from Adobe that my creative cloud subscription is going up in price from 8.57 to 10.10.
I personally think as a percentage this is rather greedy on their part. Interested to see what others think on here.
Old 2nd February 2017

Liked 4,056 Times in 1,355 Posts
Re: Adobe price increase

Yea, that is pretty steep. I hear they are withdrawing their outright licence purchase option too - cloud is now the only model. So, 120/year... Still cheaper than a roll of film a month plus processing.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
Old 2nd February 2017

Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboo View Post
Just had an email this morning from Adobe that my creative cloud subscription is going up in price from 8.57 to 10.10.
I personally think as a percentage this is rather greedy on their part. Interested to see what others think on here.
Hi,
Bearing in mind what has happened to the US$ exchange rate ... the increase is about right!

8.57 at $1.50/1 = $12.85 (This is what the rate was)

Taking a current average rate of $1.25/1 then 10.10 = $12.65

BUT ... I bet they won't drop the price when the rate goes back up to $1.50/1

Dave
The Following User Liked This Post:
wornish (2nd February 2017)
Old 2nd February 2017

Liked 344 Times in 133 Posts

Yes, had that email this morning too. Annoying, but having made the move to CC, what can you do....

my Website ; my Flickr ; my Facebook
Old 2nd February 2017

Liked 288 Times in 102 Posts

It does take effect from the renewal date, which for me is next November - so not so bad.

Probably one of the more minor brexit costs that we'll have to pay.

Old 2nd February 2017

Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts

Already trying out Affinity Photo.
Old 2nd February 2017
Administrator

Thanked 2,921 Times in 2,263 Posts
Liked 3,731 Times in 1,752 Posts

It's only a small increase (but large as a %), however, when everything you pay increases by just a small amount the total is actually quite large!

The irony is that I pay my daughter's subscription to Adobe CC but make do with PSE10 myself.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 2nd February 2017

Liked 2,111 Times in 680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pault View Post
Already trying out Affinity Photo.
How are you getting on with it? I have Lightroom 5 and Photoshop CS4, so they are both rather old and no longer supported by Adobe. I am trying out Affinity Photo at the moment and can't make up my mind whether to buy it or not. It is incredibly good value and works well but, unfortunately, I find the Adobe products much easier to use. Perhaps I just need to get used to Affinity.

Ron
Old 2nd February 2017

Liked 93 Times in 35 Posts

Slightly off topic but the main thing i use CC for is to brush noise reduction on backgrounds and brush exposure adjustments to small areas,most of the other things i do would be in elements. Any one know of a free program that would allow me to make those adjustments by brush.
Old 2nd February 2017

Liked 53 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuiko View Post
It's only a small increase (but large as a %), however, when everything you pay increases by just a small amount the total is actually quite large!

The irony is that I pay my daughter's subscription to Adobe CC but make do with PSE10 myself.
As Adobe is cloud based not computer you can use on any computer as long as only one person is using it at the time you just have to login with your details every time.

OM-D E-M5 mk2, m12-40mm f2.8, m25mm f1.8, m45mm f1.8, m60mm f2.8 Macro, M14‑150mm 1:4-5.6 II, M75-300mm MK2, Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5 fisheye

http://500px.com/Michael_Gibson
http://www.flickr.com/photos/technician69/
Old 2nd February 2017

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Although it's a fair increase, 10 a month seems ok if you get lots of use out of CC.

You can't buy much with a tenner these days
Old 2nd February 2017

Liked 449 Times in 178 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostp View Post
Although it's a fair increase, 10 a month seems ok if you get lots of use out of CC.

You can't buy much with a tenner these days
I'm kind of thinking along these lines (although it is a little annoying).
Old 2nd February 2017

Liked 121 Times in 80 Posts

Thought this would get a varied response thanks. Re the currency issue it is the reason given by Adobe in the email. Ive certainly never seen companies reduce the price of software subscriptions in line with currency so I dont buy their excuse for it!

Im also of the opinion that their overheads have been reduced as stand alone dvds/cd sales containing software are slumping, production costs reduced with more migrating to cloud.

I will end up paying it for now but I dont use it on a daily basis so have to say to myself if its worth simply reverting to an older physical version, especially as my windows 7 appears none compatible with the latest verion of Lightroom customer services said there was nothing they could do as there is no win patch and microsoft no longer support win 7. Apologies re not being able to state the dll that it needs however even a re install of windows and cloud will not cure it. Thinking back think I missed the last win 7 update and its no longer available windows update wont find the file. I will never downgrade to win 10.
Wee man (19th February 2017)
Old 2nd February 2017

Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdk42 View Post
Yea, that is pretty steep. I hear they are withdrawing their outright licence purchase option too - cloud is now the only model. So, 120/year... Still cheaper than a roll of film a month plus processing.
Adobe said a while back that LR would always be available as a stand alone, have you read that this is not now the case?
Old 2nd February 2017

Liked 370 Times in 171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timboo View Post
Thought this would get a varied response thanks. Re the currency issue it is the reason given by Adobe in the email. Ive certainly never seen companies reduce the price of software subscriptions in line with currency so I dont buy their excuse for it!

Im also of the opinion that their overheads have been reduced as stand alone dvds/cd sales containing software are slumping, production costs reduced with more migrating to cloud.

I will end up paying it for now but I dont use it on a daily basis so have to say to myself if its worth simply reverting to an older physical version, especially as my windows 7 appears none compatible with the latest verion of Lightroom customer services said there was nothing they could do as there is no win patch and microsoft no longer support win 7. Apologies re not being able to state the dll that it needs however even a re install of windows and cloud will not cure it. Thinking back think I missed the last win 7 update and its no longer available windows update wont find the file. I will never downgrade to win 10.
Puzzled by your comments regarding LR/W7 compatibility,
Windows7 continues to be supported by Microsoft (and will be for at least 2 more years).
Also, according to Adobe's website ( https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb...troom_BAK.html ) their systems requirements say W7 with SP1 runs LR6.
It certainly is working OK on my W7 PC.
timboo (2nd February 2017)