Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Out of Focus area > The lounge

The lounge Relax, take a break from photo and camera talk - have a chat about something else for a change. Just keep it clean and polite!

Old 30th December 2016

Liked 1,449 Times in 986 Posts
Re: George Michael is dead

Well, for those desperate to see the end of 2016 I see the New Year is to be delayed by one second.

BBC Report

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 31st December 2016

Liked 1,931 Times in 1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomphotofx View Post
It's sad news about George Michael's passing his compassion and generosity will be missed, the good always die young so sad.

Tom
"Good"? It seems to me that celebrities who include long term drug abuse in their lifestyle cause a lot of harm to those who try to emulate them.

Harold
Old 31st December 2016
Administrator

Thanked 2,950 Times in 2,290 Posts
Liked 3,828 Times in 1,798 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Gough View Post
"Good"? It seems to me that celebrities who include long term drug abuse in their lifestyle cause a lot of harm to those who try to emulate them.

Harold
George Michael certainly had his demons and his problems have been widely reported. However, since his death it has been revealed that he was extraordinarily generous to a number of charities with both his money and his time. I'd say the good he did far outweighed the bad and the World is a poorer place with his passing on a basic human level, regardless of his achievements in the field of pop music.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following Users Liked This Post:
cliff (31st December 2016), Greytop (31st December 2016), Wally (31st December 2016)
Old 31st December 2016

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts

Hello everyone...I only popped in to wish everyone a happy New Year...since I passed over to a quite different 'other side' some time ago I thought I'd look in to my favourite forum where I learned so much during my transition to mirrorless and digital.
What an interesting thread...much of the above is relevant to the pop culture that pervades the honours system too.
It must be so difficult to live with the incredible extremes of wealth and idolisation for these individuals.
It would be interesting to know if fame really does affect life expectancy ....theoretically it should improve it......but it didn't help the Duke of Westminster who also passed away recently.
..anyway.....Happy New Year all you good Olympus using folk!
The Following User Says Thank You to brianvickers For This Useful Post:
cliff (1st January 2017)
The Following User Liked This Post:
cliff (1st January 2017)
Old 31st December 2016

Thanked 1,013 Times in 623 Posts
Liked 1,179 Times in 542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
Well, for those desperate to see the end of 2016 I see the New Year is to be delayed by one second.

BBC Report

As the extra second doessn't always accur on a NY when - 23:59:60 shows up. This occurence should make for a rare snap-shot.

Wally and his Collie with our Oly bits & bobs

Old 31st December 2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianvickers View Post
Hello everyone...I only popped in to wish everyone a happy New Year...since I passed over to a quite different 'other side' some time ago I thought I'd look in to my favourite forum where I learned so much during my transition to mirrorless and digital.
What an interesting thread...much of the above is relevant to the pop culture that pervades the honours system too.
It must be so difficult to live with the incredible extremes of wealth and idolisation for these individuals.
It would be interesting to know if fame really does affect life expectancy ....theoretically it should improve it......but it didn't help the Duke of Westminster who also passed away recently.
Hi Brian, thanks for dropping in - it's nice to hear from you. Happy New Year.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 31st December 2016

Liked 1,449 Times in 986 Posts

Quote:
I can remember people having their lives destroyed by winning the football pools in the 1960's. The Lottery hasn't been much kinder to those who have drawn six numbers, although I gather they now offer counselling for winners.

One very quick way to find friends you never knew you had.

Naughty Nigel

Difficult is worth doing
Old 1st January 2017
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naughty Nigel View Post
I can remember people having their lives destroyed by winning the football pools in the 1960's. The Lottery hasn't been much kinder to those who have drawn six numbers, although I gather they now offer counselling for winners.

One very quick way to find friends you never knew you had.
A LOT of money wouldn't really help me. All I want at the moment is about 50K to cover essential repairs to our house, buy a decent used car to replace our aging Passat and help my daughter through university. If there was enough left for a self-catering holiday in Ireland, that would be a fantastic bonus.

No mention of an E-M1ii? It would be wasted on me - I'll just be glad to get back to using the camera I already own.

The Following User Liked This Post:
Naughty Nigel (2nd January 2017)
Old 1st January 2017

Liked 87 Times in 54 Posts

...I had an old Passat...wish I'd not changed it...no other car Ive had has been built so well (the one with the bulbous nose and no grill)
Old 1st January 2017
Administrator

Quote:
...I had an old Passat...wish I'd not changed it...no other car Ive had has been built so well (the one with the bulbous nose and no grill)
I had that type too, it blew a head gasket at 130,000 miles and was deemed uneconomic to repair. Currently own a later, diesel model (but still 10 years old) on 140,000 miles. In between we had a Passat with a 1.8 petrol turbo engine; it went like sh1t off a shovel, by far the fastest car I've owned. It was quite old when the ABS unit failed and we traded it in rather than pay 1000 to replace the part. Agree well built, but expensive to service and repair.