Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M5

Olympus OM-D E-M5 The first Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 24th April 2015

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quick access to settings

Hi,

Is there a quick way to access the settings menu (super control panel) on the LCD monitor when the camera is set to EVF?
I am using my E-M5 with EVF Auto Switch turned off and having to put the camera to the eye whenever I need to chek settings is a nuisance...

It would also be nice to have image review (Rec View) on the LCD and not on the EVF.

Cheers,
Ricardo
Old 25th April 2015

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts
Re: Quick access to settings

Hi.

1/. In the "cogs D" menu "Control Settings" set "Live SCP" to ON.

2/ To review the picture you have just taken on the Monitor just press the Playback button.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
iberia (25th April 2015)
Old 25th April 2015

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply but I must be doing something wrong because after setting "Live SCP" to ON the SCP still shows up on the EVF and not on the LCD when I press OK.

As for the Playback button workaround, it doesn't behave as an OVF camera where the image will show up for a few seconds after it's been captured.

And both Playback and LV buttons are hard to reach/activate...

It looks as though Olympus has put all it's efforts on camera behaviour with EVF Auto Switch ON and stopped there...

Cheers,
Ricardo
Old 25th April 2015

Hi Ricardo.

Second attempt to sort this for you.

1/. You are right the SCP will not work as you want in EVF only mode. The reason for this, I believe is that the monitor and EVF are the two devices that consume a lot of power and therefore have a major impact on the battery life (number of shots per charge). If the monitor displayed the SCP at the same time that the EVF was on this would exacerbate the problem or require a larger battery which would make the camera larger. Many folks whose shooting mode results in taking many shots on an outing go to all sorts of lengths to minimise monitor use and increase battery life.

Do you have a particular reason for not wanting to use the eye sensor? I have my camera set to work with the eye sensor on and the SCP displayed on the monitor when not looking through the viewfinder. Thus, when not actually taking a shot the SCP is available for checking/changing settings and as soon as I move to the EVF the monitor switches off but comes back with the SCP on as soon as I lower the camera. This works for me but I appreciate it may not suite everyone.

2/.Better news on the Rec View.
If you set Rec View to "Auto" it will show the last shot taken on the monitor untill you next half press the shutter.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
iberia (27th April 2015), Melaka (26th April 2015)
Old 27th April 2015

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Peter,

It took me a while to find the Rec View options and I ended up going for the manual...these camera menus need a re-think.
I will try the Auto function and see if I can get used to it.

As for EVF Auto Switch, I walk around with the camera hanging from my hand all the time and it seem odd to have the "TV" on all the time but I could also give it a go.

But even though I frame on the EVF 99% of the time I must confess that the "TV" has been usefull for a couple of candid "à la Rollei" photos...

Both the Canon 7d and the Pentax K-r and K-5 that I have used before have a button assigned to the SCP menu which I think is mandatory, more so when the capera doesn't have a small info LCD on the top panel.

Cheers,
Ricardo
Old 27th April 2015

Liked 847 Times in 542 Posts

It took me a while to find out the way to do this too, at first either I had live view on the LCD or if I looked through the EVF the live view switched to that. As soon as I stopped looking through the EVF the LCD switched back on. Eventually I discovered that if I pressed the button on the EVF briefly, the LCD switched off but the EVF eye sensor still worked. That's what I wanted and I suspect Ricardo it's what you want too. In that mode, if you press OK the Super Control Panel will appear on the LCD. Also, pressing the blue button displayes recent images on the LCD.

The E-M5 is a highly customisable camera which is great, but the downside is that there are so many combinations of settings that it's sometimes hard to find the combination that does what you want - not helped by the default settings which are not, to my mind, very intuitive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Otto For This Useful Post:
iberia (27th April 2015), OM USer (28th April 2015)
Old 27th April 2015

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi Richard,

I tried EVF Auto Switch and as you mentioned the Super Control Panel is permanently on whenever the EVF is not activated, which would have been perfect.

The problem is that the EVF Auto Switch system is too slow and I lost a couple of very nice photographs.
And if that were not enough, the Auto Switch kept changing to the EVF whenever I tried to shoot "from the hip", perhaps because I was wearing a black windbreaker jacket...

I decided to go back to EVF Auto Switch off and will have to peak into the EVF whenever I need to find out what settings are currently in use.
This is a serious setback for me...

Cheers,
Ricardo
Old 27th April 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by iberia View Post
Hi Peter,

It took me a while to find the Rec View options and I ended up going for the manual...these camera menus need a re-think.
I will try the Auto function and see if I can get used to it.

As for EVF Auto Switch, I walk around with the camera hanging from my hand all the time and it seem odd to have the "TV" on all the time but I could also give it a go.

But even though I frame on the EVF 99% of the time I must confess that the "TV" has been usefull for a couple of candid " la Rollei" photos...

Both the Canon 7d and the Pentax K-r and K-5 that I have used before have a button assigned to the SCP menu which I think is mandatory, more so when the capera doesn't have a small info LCD on the top panel.

Cheers,
Ricardo
More information.

As Otto says the E-M5 is more configurable than most (if not all) D-SLRs and when moving to it from a DSLR it can take some time to figure out the best combination to suit your shooting methods. This is particularly true of the ability to assign different functions to the various buttons and dials.Those of us that have been with the 4/3rds/ micro4/3rds system for some time have the advantage that when a new camera comes out we just have to get our heads round the additional features whilst the rest will be pretty much like the previous generation.

I've now had another play with the way my camera is set up and there's more good news. When set as described in my last post (SCP on the monitor and EVF eye sensor on) if, when the SCP is displayed on the monitor you press the "INFO" button once it changes to the Level Sensor display (which is one of the options I have switched on) and if you press INFO again it switches the monitor off but the eye detector will still operate. This is great as you now have both displays off, saving more battery power but can instantly take a shot simply by putting the EVF to your eye. Furthermore if when both displays are off you press the OK button the SCP will re-appear on the monitor. To get back to "both displays off" again then press OK twice. This sounds pretty near to what you want.

Once you've got the camera set up to behave as you want it's very worthwhile to assign the settings to a "Myset" so that if you inadvertantly change something (and then can't remember how you had the numerous options set) you can get back to normal again.

Re. Using the monitor "a la Rollei" for candid shots. A thought occurs to me. I, like you rarely use the monitor for shooting and have therefore also avoided using the touch screen and particularly the "touch to focus and shoot" function. However I recently had a play with this and found it actually works very well and seems to be able to shoot much quicker than the "half press to focus full press to fire" mode. This is partly because as soon as the camera gets focus confirm it instantly fires the shutter. Also since you touch the area in the scene you wish to focus on it avoids any need to focus/hold and then recompose to get the composition you want. Maybe this could be useful to you if you are specifically looking for candid street shots.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterBirder For This Useful Post:
iberia (28th April 2015), OM USer (28th April 2015)
Old 28th April 2015

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello Peter,

Thank you for all your help.
I have followed your suggestion and recorded my current setting as a Myset.

This is my first camera with an EVF and I am still getting used to the grainy, flickering beast...so far I can't say I like using it but the trade-off (smaller and lighter body/lenses) is enough to keep me going.
One thing I have learn't yesterday (the hard way) is that the EVF must be on at all times.

I will try to fiddle with the settings to see if I can have the LCD display SCP with a direct button without shutting off the EVF.

Cheers,
Ricardo
Old 28th April 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by iberia View Post
Hello Peter,

Thank you for all your help.
I have followed your suggestion and recorded my current setting as a Myset.

This is my first camera with an EVF and I am still getting used to the grainy, flickering beast...so far I can't say I like using it but the trade-off (smaller and lighter body/lenses) is enough to keep me going.
One thing I have learn't yesterday (the hard way) is that the EVF must be on at all times.

I will try to fiddle with the settings to see if I can have the LCD display SCP with a direct button without shutting off the EVF.

Cheers,
Ricardo
Hi Ricardo.
Happy to try and help you.
The mirrorless OMD world is very different and takes a bit of getting used to but as you say the lighter weight is a major benefit. I moved up from the Olympus 4/3rds DSLRs because I got a "frozen shoulder" from toting around a camera with a Sigma 50-500mm lens on it.

I don't entirely recognise "the grainy, flickering beast" EVF. The only time I find the EVF quality degrades is in very poor light, especially fluorescent lighting and this is due to the sensor noise when working at high ISO rather than the EVF itself and will be equally evident in the shot taken. If you set the EVF refresh rate to High (cogs menu J) the EVF will be more responsive. I must admit that I found earlier generation EVFs eg. the early Panasonic mirrorless cameras unacceptable but the E-M5 was the first one that worked for me.

Hang in there you'll eventually learn to love it when you get it tamed.

Regards.

OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.

Tags
evf, lcd, quick access, settings, super control panel