Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Announcements > Articles from FourThirds-User.com

Articles from FourThirds-User.com News and features from a sibling to the e-group, Four Thirds User.

Old 14th September 2010
Four Thirds User

Arrow Olympus E-5 hands-on preview

Four Thirds User (Fourthirds-user.com) is a sibling site to the e-group.

The long-awaited successor to the Olympus E-3 flagship DSLR, the E-5, is revealed today. We've spent some time evaluating a pre-production sample. Evolutionary rather than revolutionary, the E-5 is a solid development of the E-3 but has Olympus done enough?

More...
Old 14th September 2010

Liked 338 Times in 228 Posts
Re: Olympus E-5 hands-on preview

I am underwelmed!

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 14th September 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very disappointing, I expected more from the E-5 not just a makeover.

Unless of course I am missing something!

Cheers

Chris
Old 14th September 2010
Nick

I have to say i'm very disappointed! I need an upgrade to my e520 but the price of that is mad compared to competitors.

I feel this may be the end
Old 14th September 2010
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts

I will certainly take a look at the E5 at some point, but even though it will sell for less in the shops, at £1,500 it is way too expensive for me to want to run out and get one (which is exactly what I did with the E3!!).

I also feel at this high price it could lead to many Olympus owners either simply not upgrading, or even consider switching brand. I wonder what the street price will be?

Old 14th September 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Unfortunately agree with the above comments. It is an insufficient step up and does not bring the fight to other brands.

Olympus E-30 | Falcon 8mm fisheye | 8mm fisheye | 12-60mm | 25mm f/2.8 pancake | 40-150mm | 50-200mm | 70-300mm | Tamron 135mm f/2.5 | EX-25 | FL-36R | YN460 & YN460-II | B&W ND110 | Lightroom 2.7 | Photoshop CS3
flickr - Photo52 2011
My Photo52 2011 Thread on TP
Old 14th September 2010
Senior Pixelmonger

Thanked 1,126 Times in 921 Posts
Liked 755 Times in 499 Posts

Just a warm-up of the E-3. Evolution not revolution. Disappointing but frankly not unexpected. Obviously brought out in an attempt to prove that regular 4/3 is not dead, but I suspect/hope there will be more announcements in the near future developing m4/3. If not, then I suspect Olympus will die in the water.

A camera takes a picture. A photographer makes a picture

Fuji X system, + Leica and Bronica film

My Flickr site
Old 14th September 2010
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been following the rumours on the E5 on a well known 4/3s rumour site. The specs were talked about for some time. I was hoping that they were wrong.....and some were.

I am keen to see some real world images, taken with a range of lenses, with comparison shots against the E30, but they had better be impressive. I would expect to see an improvement in image quality when comparing an E510 to an E30.

My thoughts are that Olympus have released the E5 for several reasons. Olympus needed a Pro type camera for marketing reasons and a new 4/3rds camera to placate current customers about the longevity of the 4/3rds range.

12 and a bit mega pixels is not a big issue, as long as the image quality is there. 720p video…why not 1080p? Art filters on a pro camera….why?

The suggested RRP of £1500 is way too much. Olympus need to listen to its customers adn the current market.

In my mind they have taken the best bits from the E3 and Pen with a little tweaking and released it. The question is Why? Why now and not a year ago.

I will not be leaving Olympus, but unless the price drops I wont be purchasing one.
Old 14th September 2010
ndl0071

I agree with all said so far, I think at that price point some of the Canikons offer better value for money, not that I'm tempted
Old 14th September 2010
Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndl0071 View Post
I agree with all said so far, I think at that price point some of the Canikons offer better value for money, not that I'm tempted
I am unfortunately
Old 14th September 2010

Liked 338 Times in 228 Posts

Where's the 'feature never before seen in a dSLR' and where is the innovation?
I shaln't be going for it.
Although my E-3 is fine, Oly's lack of R&D for 4/3rds is disappointing.
When I find a need to change my camera, it is looking less likely that it will be an Olympus. Either that or I will wait until the E-7 (if I am still around that is )

E-M1 Mk2, Pen F, HLD-9, 17, 25, 45, 60 macro, 12-40 Pro, 40-150 Pro, 12-50, 40-150, 75-300, MC-14, MMF-3 (all micro 4/3rds), 7-14 (4/3rds), 50, 135 (OM), GoPro Hero 3, Novo/Giottos/ Manfrotto supports. Lowepro, Tamrac and Billingham bags.

External Competition Secretary, Cwmbran PS & Welsh Photographic Federation Judge
Old 14th September 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The price What a shame.

I guess we can look forward to it getting hammered in comparison to the 7D and D300S which like it or not are the benchmarks in this class and price bracket. To only do 5fps in 2010 on a top-end camera looks like a mistake to me.

Price/spec versus the competition is one thing, but for a loyal Oly customer, it's a hell of a lot of money, but hey, maybe it can produce class beating images. Here's hoping.
Old 14th September 2010

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Well, I like what I see. The E3 is a great bit of kit and unbroken so why change it drastically?

What I like about the E3 is the robustness (screen apart), the SWD focus motor and fast AF, the flipping screen, the image quality at ISO 400 and below.

What I would have liked to see improved is the resolution, the C-AF/continuous shooting performance, the screen resolution, higher than 400 ISO image quality. That is what we have, assuming that the software/internal processor updates are evolutionary.

I like the fact that there are a few more my mode settings, too, probably with other menu and option improvements. I don't care for art filters or HD video. I would have liked the AF mode switch on the body somewhere and a multi-jog dial (like the pen) and a faster frame rate.

Yes, the camera is going to get panned by the "experts" in the photographic press who are wowed by specs. However, for a prosumer camera it does okay. Ford Mondeo, not Ferrari but I like it.

Strategically, where does this leave Olympus in my opinion? Well, they have a problem with Fourthirds now: The E5 is only slightly better specced than the E30 so there is now no room for manouvre in the E30 bar a new screen and HD video. There is little room for improvement in the E620 without making it an E30, either. Thus, I would expect to see little development for the foreseeable future in order to maintain the E5's status as the flagship model.

I am out of tune with the models from Nikon and Canon but I guess that the 60D exceeds the spec and Nikon will shortly produce a model (D400?) that also does just that, similar to the D300 coming out after the E3. As manufacturers with successful pro-spec models they have access to that extra layer of technology. One would expect Olympus to maintain their market position versus the other manufacturers.

On the plus side, I would expect the price point to change rapidly for the E5: It's evolutionary status means it has minimal development overhead to absorb and should prove profitable to Olympus at a much lower price.

My 10 minute, £2 worth.

Nick
Old 14th September 2010

Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts

Lets see the image quality!

Lot of Oly users like the E-3, they love the lenses etc so if the E-5 takes the best of the E-3 & 30 add a few more bells and whistles and can improve the image quality... where is the issue?

Dave
Old 14th September 2010
Radar

The specs aren't very impressive but I guess there's a little development in the Image Processor (Less noise and higher DR?) But the price?!?!?! £1500? I can go and buy a new D700, 5DMkII and Sonys FF for the same price and (without seing any comparisons of the performance so far) it might give me more BFB (Bang for the Bucks) with the advantages of FF. Even the D90 is more tempting for almost 1/3rd of the price. I guess I'll get another E-600/620 as a second camera until further instead of upgrading to the E-5 that I was waiting for.