Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Olympus E-620/600

Olympus E-620/600 An Olympus 12.1MP mid-range compact DSLR, the E-620 and the feature-reduiced version, the E-600.

Old 5th June 2010
malcapone

Remote Control

I am getting more and more annoyed with the E-620
I have now come to use my infra red Remote (which works fine with my E-410) but the E-620 just stands there like stuffed dummy. If anyone has any Ideas on why this is happening I would love to know?
I thought that this camera was going to be a shining light but it seems to be a damp squib. Problems with the ISO and others too much to mention but The worst thing is though ------ the photographs from the E-410 look better
EVERY TIME.
Maybe 10 megapixels is the top limit for the four thirds sensor?
Old 5th June 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Remote Control

Have you set the camera to the remote control setting?
Old 5th June 2010
malcapone

I'm going to sound thick here - and I probably am but I never had to set the E-410 to anything (it just worked) so I never did with this but I will look into it
thanks for you input
Old 5th June 2010

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts

I have the 510 and the 620. To start with I was convinced the 510 images were better in back to back comparisons.

The greatest 620 error you can make is to under-expose and then try to lift the image in Photoshop, as you end up with some noise in the shadows. I eventually learned to deliberately over-expose the 620 by 1/2 a stop (there is a menu tweak where you can force a global exposure shift !). I correct any over-exposure problems when I process the raw files - I can't say if this method works safely with jpegs.

In general the look and feel of the 620 beats the 510, which now feel a bit like a tractor in comparison. Having refined my techniques, I don't think there is much difference in image quality between them. (Equally that means the 620 is not streets better than its older cousin, image wise...)

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 5th June 2010
malcapone

First of all I've sorted the remote problem out (thanks James) but why it can't be set to on at default amazes me.
As for my E-620 image problems I will try the global exposure shift which you have suggested Pete - I agree about the feel of this Camera it really does feel better than both the E-410 and The E-520 when you hold them afterwards.
Its just certain niggles that really Tee me off.
I want to make the auto ISO go from 100 to 600 and will it let me (NO) it will insist on starting at 200 which according to a lot of people on the internet is the best setting - now call me old fashioned but I have been taking SLR shots for over 30 years and I was always taught "If you can take them at ISO 100 then you should take them at 100 but the only way I can do this with the E-620 is to lock it at ISO 100 - it defeats the point of an auto ISO top and Bottom Limit.
I'm going to perservere with the camera because I like it - I just think it doesnt like me.
We're off to Longleat Next week and if those Lions come out looking like noisey and worse than the E-410 this thing is going

E-620 E-410 ..14/42..17.5/45..Pancake.. 40/150.. HLD5 ..T20
Old 5th June 2010

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts

I agree that digital cameras sometimes don't seem to obey the old rule of thumbs. Like you I've been taking pictures since mid 60s and 100 ISO should be better than 200 ISO - in the sense that 100 film would always be cleaner than 200 film.

These days higher ISO rating is done by running the sensor with more gain, which also adds more noise. Some things remain the same..

I can imagine turning the gain down to make a pretend 100 ISO will require the sensor to be hit with more light. This in turn can overload it, so you might get less noise but you run the risk of blowing the highlights.

One observation: I have never used auto ISO, so maybe that doesn't show the 620 at its best? I tend to use 200 all the time unless I really need to go to 400, or very rarely 800.

Pete

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 5th June 2010
malcapone

I'm glad you told me that I thought the ISO 200 was one of the problems.
I,m not a big fan of auto ISO but when it's top and bottom limits can be capped it can be a useful asset - I just can't understand why it won't let me set the bottom limit at ISO 100 but if 200 is good enough for you Pete its good enough for me. I havnt tried bracketing the ISO yet but I will try to see what results I get.
The exposure Bracketing got me some good black and white shots doing early morning street photography so I'll be interested what the ISO bracketing has to off now I've got my remote working.
Thanx Alan..

Old 5th June 2010

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I now use a E-620 after selling my E-3 (due to weight), & find the noise to be much better. People keep going on about how bad the noise is on the E-620, but I find the complete opposite. It makes me wonder if there are somehow good ones & bad ones (made in a rush on a friday afternoon). But saying that I would have thought they all have the same sensor, so they should all be the same
Old 5th June 2010
malcapone

My Brother used to work for a Leyland Dealership where they used to get Friday Cars ( No oil - No Reverse Gear etc.)
I Can't see Olympus doing that - I'm going to meddle with the Global exposure shift and various other things and See how it goes.
One day I might get rid of my E-410 with its 17.5/45 lens but I won't part with it until I am 100% happy with this

Alan..

Old 5th June 2010

Thanked 1,024 Times in 854 Posts
Liked 797 Times in 466 Posts

Hi Alan
I had some of the same problems as you when I first got my E-600 (basically the same as the E620) but when I got to grips with the settings like those suggested by Pete ( Snaarman ) it all fell into place and I am now very happy with the camera. An excellent resource for the 620 is John Foster's article http://biofos.com/esystem/e620_set.html which addresses all the problems you seem to be having and provides explanations for the causes.
Persevere and you'll come to love the 620 as many others on here have.

Regards

she looked at me and said "It's official. I hate your camera. It's just so amazing and perfect I want one!"

E-M10 MK II, E-M5, E-PL1, E-PM2, mZ 12-50, mZ 14-42mm EZ, mZ 17mm f 1.8, mZ 25mm f1.8, mZ 45mm f1.8, mZ 75-300mm II.
OM1n, OM 50mm f1.8.
Oly Viewer3, Dxo Pro 11. FastStone.
Old 6th June 2010
malcapone

I'm sure I will Peter - I think my problem is ........ the E-410 was a lot simpler (Less to meddle with) and Olympus have made the E-620 much more flexible and I'm sure when its all to my liking it will run like a dream.

Alan ..