Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 17th November 2009
E-3 Enthusiast....:)

Liked 30 Times in 19 Posts
Introduction to affordable IR Photography

Hi All

I have been asked privately if I would consider creating a series of informative threads that might provide an introduction to IR photography. I'd like to add here that I really do not in any shape or form consider myself an expert in any aspects of photography, let alone IR stuff, and am extremely flattered/honoured to have been asked would I consider doing this. In any event, with my limited knowledge I will of course draft a series of threads covering how I have gone about doing some IR photography; what filters I've used, my camera settings, what I have done, where I started etc.

The only real way I can do this with any credibility, is by focusing the info on what I'd consider 'affordable' IR Photography i.e. obtaining and using IR filters - as this really is my only area of knowledge... and little knowledge at that.

I am not sure how long each thread will be, nor how many there will be... but I'll provide information that works for me and will hopefully allow others to start experimenting with IR photography.

So, coming up a little later - maybe this evening if not, very soon; is the first - maybe even the only thread - on 'affordable' IR Photography.

Old 17th November 2009
Administrator

Thanked 3,139 Times in 2,448 Posts
Liked 4,435 Times in 2,102 Posts
Re: Introduction to affordable IR Photography

Good idea, John.

I know you haven't been into IR all that long yourself, but through this forum I have seen you make significant progress and I know you've already learnt a lot through research, practical experience and trial and error.

In my view that makes you ideally placed to share what you've learnt and advise those who wish to try it for themselves at minimal cost, without investing in a converted body or resorting to film. You are right to concentrate on IR filters - for a minimal outlay thay can yield excellent results if used properly.

In fact, by coincidence I've received one by post this morning from Surrey Photography, using a link you posted a while back! I already had a filter but only in 58mm thread, making it unusable with my 14-54mm lens. I've actually bought a 72mm filter (at a very reasonable price for its size) to give coverage on the brand spanking new 9-18mm that was also delivered this morning - but that's another story!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 17th November 2009
mike_j

That will be interesting. I have just bought an IR filter and taken my first pictures since playing, long ago, with IR film.

I hope that you will let me join in, though I'm not using Olympus gear. It's all a steep learning curve finding what works and what doesn't.
Old 17th November 2009
EH1

Smile Re: Introduction to affordable IR Photography

I`ve got my filter, but have`nt had time to use it yet, so I am ready & waiting!
Old 17th November 2009

Blimey, no pressure on me then eh!

Didn't think it'd be this popular! I have started writing down - yes, on paper - the basis and structure of what I am able to tell and to be totally honest, it's likely to be tomorrow when I get the first (and maybe only) installment up.

Old 17th November 2009
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Blimey, no pressure on me then eh!

Didn't think it'd be this popular! I have started writing down - yes, on paper - the basis and structure of what I am able to tell and to be totally honest, it's likely to be tomorrow when I get the first (and maybe only) installment up.
We'll be the judge of that!

Smile, John, you know you thrive under pressure!

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
Old 17th November 2009
mike_j

Here's one to be going on with ....

Old 17th November 2009

Liked 122 Times in 62 Posts

My IR experience is with a converted Fuji S20 and that has a an EVF so no off and on with the filter...looking forward to these tutorials ...
Old 17th November 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking forward to this John, because I like the way IR looks, but never managed to get it right.

Have you read Wrotniak's pages about IR?
http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/infrared/
Old 18th November 2009

Morning all

Well, having read the comments posted yesterday evening and overnight on here, I thought I'd best respond - because now I am worried, seriously.

In my introductory post to this thread I tried to set an expectation that all I am able to do here is show how I have managed to get some half decent IR images at a very reasonable cost, and to explain things such as filter details, the camera settings et al so that those who might want to give this gnre a go are aware of the settings I use to achieve the shots I manage, and can then use these as a starting point for their trials and experimentations. Honestly folks, reading the comments that have been posted re your expectations... though I appreciate what's said you've got me worried - I really am no expert in IR photography, and would hate to think I have misled anyone who might be expecting me to write a wonderfully detailed tutorial, or post anything along the lines of the excellent Mr Wrotniak. This is simply not the case as there's no way I have the knowledge to write to that level of detail and expertise.

So, maybe this is my fault? maybe, despite my attempts not to, I set expectations too high and have been hoist by my own petard? maybe I shouldn't have posted the thread until I had something prepared? My apologies if any of these are the case. In any event, please forgive me if I've set expectations I'm not able to live up to. I didn't realise there'd be so much interest and that such a subject would be so hotly perused!

Old 18th November 2009

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi John some info in case you have not seen this site looking forward to reading about your experiences with ir I have not got a filter yet but found this site quite interesting and an excellent report on the C-2020Z for IR
http://www.dpfwiw.com/ir.htm
Best regards
Mick

Mick

Petroleums Hey
retired oil boiler
Old 18th November 2009
Codger

Liked 104 Times in 45 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Introduction to affordable IR Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMusicMan View Post
Morning all

Well, having read the comments posted yesterday evening and overnight on here, I thought I'd best respond - because now I am worried, seriously.

In my introductory post to this thread I tried to set an expectation that all I am able to do here is show how I have managed to get some half decent IR images at a very reasonable cost, and to explain things such as filter details, the camera settings et al so that those who might want to give this gnre a go are aware of the settings I use to achieve the shots I manage, and can then use these as a starting point for their trials and experimentations. Honestly folks, reading the comments that have been posted re your expectations... though I appreciate what's said you've got me worried - I really am no expert in IR photography, and would hate to think I have misled anyone who might be expecting me to write a wonderfully detailed tutorial, or post anything along the lines of the excellent Mr Wrotniak. This is simply not the case as there's no way I have the knowledge to write to that level of detail and expertise.

So, maybe this is my fault? maybe, despite my attempts not to, I set expectations too high and have been hoist by my own petard? maybe I shouldn't have posted the thread until I had something prepared? My apologies if any of these are the case. In any event, please forgive me if I've set expectations I'm not able to live up to. I didn't realise there'd be so much interest and that such a subject would be so hotly perused!
Hi John,

What I'd like to see is some IR images you produced that have pleased you, plus exposure details, post-processing tips, and any other bits and pieces you have discovered. Some stuff on Lightroom and IR effects would be also welcome - I know you have played around with it.

I think the emphasis on using those oh-so-tempting filters from eBay is good. Once you have kicked things off, I'm sure others will wade in to the thread, with advice on camera conversions etc.

To be honest, there are loads of articles out there - and the more of them you read the more confused you get! Some good practical advice based on Oly kit is all that's needed.

Best regards,

"If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something" - Steven Wright
Old 18th November 2009
mike_j

Hi John,

As long as you are a page of the book ahead of us you're the leader and I'm sure you are way ahead of me - 75% of all the IR shots I have EVER taken were done in a 1 hour session yesterday morning. Any hints welcome.

Mike
Old 18th November 2009
Chillimonster

Hi John.

I think IR is one of those areas that is more about the post processing thasn the capture of the image as the capture is dependant on so many variables (camera / lens / filter etc). In fact i've found my best images have come from compacts as the IR pass filters in P&S are a lot weaker (this can be confirmed by pointing a standard TV type remote control into the lens and pressing a button - you should see the ir emmiter lighting up. Trying this on a DSLR will show a dimmer image.)

The PP is where an IR image comes to life and this is the bit i'm interested in, and struggle with.

Here's a few of mine (taken with Canon P&S's)

I've not tried my latest 'weapon' (GF1 m4/3rds) but i aim to do some tests ASAP to see if it is suitable.
Old 18th November 2009
Administrator

John,

Don't worry about raising expectations, you're a step ahead of most of us (particularly on the PP side of things) and even if this thread only acts as a catalyst for members to pool knowledge and experience of IR it will be worthwhile.

It's a branch of photography I know you love so don't worry about it, just enjoy it. If you can't teach us, I'm sure you can inspire us!

Mike and Chris are already off the blocks with some good examples and I'm sure others will follow, so you haven't got to do this on your own!