Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 7th April 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts
Re: Trying to explain Focal Length, Field of View and Crop x2

Matt, it was used by Olympus, as a means of potential buyers of 4/3rds understanding what they were getting

All I knew of 4/3rds was that "each lens was effectively double the length" ... that was until ...

on here 'twas explained to me!

Why do we say a 10 bob note = 50p it just promotes acceptability and an understanding of what your getting !
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 7th April 2012

Liked 1,285 Times in 496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlinehan View Post
Why do fourthirds users even bother to try and make a comparison to 35mm cameras
There is supposed to be an argument that we have all owned 35mm film cameras in the past. If I'm told the Nikozumi EW compact with its 4.5mm wide angle is "a 24mm equivalent" then I can remember my old film days and imagine how wide that would be. So the theory is the 35mm film makes a common currency we can all understand.

However, these eternal "35mm equivalent" descriptions only work if you are as old as me and actually do remember the usual trio of 28/50/135mm lenses and their relative magnifications

As to the "Full Frame" elitism that I see growing all the time, well, don't get me started ... If your Canikon full frame is so much better, why didn't you go all the way and buy a medium format with a digital back?

Pete

PS. I'm off to Avebury with my Crop Camera .. Crop, I said crop....

Pete's photoblog Misleading the public since 2010.
Old 7th April 2012

Thanked 1,281 Times in 1,112 Posts
Liked 522 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaarman View Post
Pete

PS. I'm off to Avebury with my Crop Camera .. Crop, I said crop....
Pete, its a bit early for Crop Circle shots - no wheat 'ere ...

although I did see a field of yellow Rape yesterday
I Lurve Walking in our Glorious Countryside; Photography;
Riding Ducati Motorbikes; Reading & Cooking ! ...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photomagicf1_chevvy/sets/

the ONE photo album
Old 7th April 2012

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I think the technical explanations here have been excellent. I agree that comparisons with 35mm should only give you an idea of what you'll see in shot. I think it's pretty pointless to try to work out relative values with other dSLRs with different pixel count, sensor size and firmware deployed. What I would criticise Olympus for is sticking a label on the 70-300mm saying it's the equivalent of 140-600mm on 35mm without qualifying the statement as being purely the available part of the image seen.
Old 23rd April 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I, for one am not all bothered about comparisons to the "full-frame" 35mm film standard. A lot of lenses were made for that format, and these are all adaptable to MFT. So, it makes good sense to compare your field of view, so you know what you are getting when looking through the viewfinder, or looking at the resulting image.

If you're just starting out in photography and don't care about other formats then... you don't need to care. But there are so many sensor and film sizes that having some basis of comparison between them makes good sense for those who do care.