Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Accessory talk > General accessories

General accessories Batteries, eye cups, power grips, straps, eyepiece magnifiers, cables, remotes and much more.

Old 9th April 2019

Liked 931 Times in 358 Posts
Lexar SD card

I have two 32GB 1000X cards that have the same problem.
I format the card in my EM1 Mk 2, take a picture, Jpeg and Raw, import to Lightroom 6, no problems till today. Now only one file imports, get a message, ' the file appears to be unsupported or damaged". Thats the jpeg, the Raw imports and show in Library, but when I go to develop mode I get this message,
"An-unexpected-end-of-file-occurred'.
LR says that the card has been ejected, bus it still shows on desktop.
I try to eject the card on the desktop and get this message, "The disk'No Name" couldn't be ejected because "lightroom" is using it, so I shut down LR. Try to eject from desktop and get message, The disk wasn't ejecrted because one or more programs may be using it:. I get the option to force eject, with a warning that it may cause problems with the dic or the info on it.
Tried both cards, same result.
I did remove one of the cards, re formatted it, same thing happened.

I have too shut down the Mac then remove the card. But problem persists.
Tried card in Pen F, same thing happened. Tried different card in Em 1, no problem
Using iMac, only change is an update to Mojave.
Did go to Apple site but no help there.

Any ideas?
Old 9th April 2019

Liked 1,638 Times in 611 Posts
Re: Lexar SD card

Dave,

I'm on a Mac too and haven't experienced any issues of that nature with the EM1ii, however, I have had similar with an old card on an older version of OSX, it was down to slight damage of the card contacts, they were slightly misaligned. (I was using a micro SD in an SD adaptor and it was the adaptor that caused the issues)

Examine the card carefully and look for dirt or misaligned contact strips, if it's dirt then it should clean off if its the contract strips then normally means the card is knackered.

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
The Following User Says Thank You to Walti For This Useful Post:
sapper (9th April 2019)
Old 9th April 2019

Thanked 1,245 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 5,949 Times in 1,938 Posts

I've had two Lexar cards fail on me in the last 6 months. In both cases, I started getting intermittent odd problems with file corruption and such like before they eventually completely failed. I think they are just not good quality cards. Chuck them and move on I'd suggest. I bought Sony Tough cards - so far excellent.
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
sapper (9th April 2019)
Old 9th April 2019

Liked 1,638 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walti View Post
Dave,

I'm on a Mac too and haven't experienced any issues of that nature with the EM1ii, however, I have had similar with an old card on an older version of OSX, it was down to slight damage of the card contacts, they were slightly misaligned. (I was using a micro SD in an SD adaptor and it was the adaptor that caused the issues)

Examine the card carefully and look for dirt or misaligned contact strips, if it's dirt then it should clean off if its the contract strips then normally means the card is knackered.
Oh, and....

I did have the tiny plastic divider break on one card, which caused issues until I removed it completely! I think the flapping end was getting in the way of something!

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 9th April 2019

Thanked 1,245 Times in 934 Posts
Liked 5,949 Times in 1,938 Posts

I did a very quick write up on the Tough cards here:

http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=49751
Portfolio Site
Instagram
The Following User Says Thank You to pdk42 For This Useful Post:
sapper (9th April 2019)
Old 9th April 2019

Liked 47 Times in 32 Posts

Hi Sapper
For the past week or so I have had problems with both a recent new Sandisk extreme pro 300m/s SDHC and longer term ownership, 2* Lexar professional 2000X, got error code no 36.
I managed to get the images onto the computer via USB cable from camera. The formatted on MAC exFat. Put card into camera and formatted again in camera.
touch wood and things seem to work properly re: dragging images from Card to hard drive.
perhaps give it a try
Old 9th April 2019

Liked 205 Times in 134 Posts

I always use USB transfer from the camera to avoid handling the card itself. I learned the hard way with the old CF type cards, when one of the tiny pins inside the camera got bent. I've not had a problem with USB plugs.
The Following User Liked This Post:
Magus (9th April 2019)
Old 10th April 2019

Liked 931 Times in 358 Posts

Thanks for your comments guys.

After much faffing about, I have sorted it out now. I just use a card reader rather than use the built in SD slot in the iMac.

I suspect it is to do with the recent upgrade to Mojave. But I will certainly be changing to the Sony Tough cards in the near future.
Old 10th April 2019

Liked 3,317 Times in 1,539 Posts

Gosh, so far so good is all I can say...I always take the Lexar out of the camera and put it in the PC's SD slot. No problems (touch wood)

Having said that, I did have trouble with the Lexar that I used in my TG-5. The locking tab very often caught as I put the card back into the camera. I tried to remove that tab, and the card just fell apart...

My fault tho'....

My Flickr