Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Site news and information > Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads

Tutorials, Informative & Classic threads A new e-Group area for all the wonderful tutorials and helpful threads put on here by our members. Tutorials on using software, camera hardware - and feel free to request a tutorial if you need assistance!

Old 5th April 2019

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts
Re: Street Photography by Nick Turpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
... (I'm guessing it would be inappropriate to the genre to declutter distracting items out of the background, such as the air conditioning unit and two lights above and beyond the revolving door ...)
I agree!
Ok, there are no rules to photography, apart from the golden rule: that being there are no rules.
For guidance only: I would advise looking at the background first, followed by the content between the background and the lens.
Personally I dislike intensely Photoshopping a capture. It's an admission of failure, not being careful about clutter in the frame. Also, wherever possible, I like to keep the full image intact, without cropping. 99.9% of my film images remain FF.

on flickr
The Following User Liked This Post:
RobEW (5th April 2019)
Old 5th April 2019

Liked 184 Times in 125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post
I agree!
Personally I dislike intensely Photoshopping a capture. It's an admission of failure, not being careful about clutter in the frame. Also, wherever possible, I like to keep the full image intact, without cropping. 99.9% of my film images remain FF.
In a photography club I go to, it's almost a badge of honour to be a whizz with Photoshop and to do amazing post-processing manipulations. Untinkered photos do occasionally get accolades in their competitions, but not often. I agree - the limited opportunity for post processing with film is a good discipline.
Old 5th April 2019

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEW View Post
In a photography club I go to, it's almost a badge of honour to be a whizz with Photoshop and to do amazing post-processing manipulations. Untinkered photos do occasionally get accolades in their competitions, but not often. I agree - the limited opportunity for post processing with film is a good discipline.
I gave up on photography clubs a while ago. The last group I joined had so many photoshopped images I had to resist shouting out... The worst witnessed was a picture of a female model with the moon behind her the size of a giant beach ball. Almost everyone else thought it was wonderful... "oh Dave, please tell us how you managed creating that fab image in Photoshop". I thought they were taking the pi$$, but later on they set up a tutorial group with Dave at the keyboard. God almighty give me strength.

on flickr