Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II

Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II The second Micro Four Thirds camera that offers phase detect focusing so you can use Four Thirds DSLR lenses normally as well a Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Old 23rd May 2017

Liked 332 Times in 107 Posts
Smile Screen protectors

Sorry if this is a stupid question! Would a screen protector (thin plastic type, not flexible mobile phone type) impact on the touch screen functions of the E M1 2 and for that matter an E PL6?
Old 23rd May 2017

Liked 1,247 Times in 711 Posts
Re: Screen protectors

For years I never used them, but 4 or 5 years ago on the first day of owning my original Sony RX100 I was carrying it in the pocket of my hiking trousers, and at the end of the day there were several light scratches on the bottom of the screen. I never did work out how they'd been caused, but I've used protectors since. I've had no problems since, but there again I'd had no problems beforehand either!

I've had ones variously from Swido and ExpertShield and have never noticed any issues with use of the touch screen.

------------------------------
http://www.microcontrast.com
Too much Oly gear.
Panasonic 12-32, 12-35, 15. Laowa 7.5.
Assorted legacy lenses, plus a Fuji X70 & a Sony A7S.
The Following User Says Thank You to drmarkf For This Useful Post:
090657 (23rd May 2017)
Old 23rd May 2017

Liked 2,952 Times in 860 Posts

I have had a ExpertShield protector fitted to my E-M1 from new and have never had any problems with it over three and a half years. In fact I forget it is there for most of the time. I rarely use the touch screen function but haven't noticed any issues with its sensitivity.

Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to Olybirder For This Useful Post:
090657 (23rd May 2017)
Old 23rd May 2017
Administrator

Thanked 3,140 Times in 2,449 Posts
Liked 4,439 Times in 2,105 Posts

I thoroughly recommend the Swido anti-reflective protectors, easily found by a search on Amazon.

"A hundredth of a second here, a hundredth of a second there even if you put them end to end, they still only add up to one, two, perhaps three seconds, snatched from eternity." ~ Robert Doisneau
The Following User Says Thank You to Zuiko For This Useful Post:
090657 (23rd May 2017)
Old 23rd May 2017

Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts

I have the ExpertShield on the E-M1 II. Works perfectly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Growltiger For This Useful Post:
090657 (23rd May 2017)
Old 23rd May 2017

Liked 32 Times in 15 Posts

I have a glass screen protector on my E-M1 which is superb, and does not affect the touch screen operation. Unfortunately the flippy screen on my E-M5ii cannot take the same screen protector, as its thickness would prevent the screen folding flat against the body when turned inwards, but as this protects the screen anyway, it is not so much of a problem.

David
Old 24th May 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My tuppence worth.
I opted for an expert shield for my E-M1.
It seems to have done the trick.
Pricey, but decent.
I think the proof of quality of a protector though is how easy it comes of, whnever it needs to be removed.
I bought some cheap and nasty protectors for my old GF5 and my dad's GF3.
He dropped his GF3 - screen damaged beyond repair - I thought I'd try to remove the protector though, to see if the screen was damaged other than the protector - tried to remove - and the protector stripped off the top shiny coating on the screen plastic. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending how you see it), the screen was damaged beyond repair, before I removed the protector - so no real loss there.
What I can't vouch for is how easily any brands protectors are removed - Expert Shield being of prime importance to me and my E-M1.

Can any of you guys chip in here?

PS - the touch screen functionality of my E-M1 is barely affected by the protector. I seem to recall that I went for one of the glass options, rather than the plastic.
Old 24th May 2017

Liked 1,639 Times in 611 Posts

My early experience with screen protectors is such that I've not used them since!

I had a small Canon Ixus with a screen protector on that I used for work, it literally was thrown in the bottom of the tool box, the protector got scratched to bits as you'd expect so when I went to change it - it wrecked the screen removing it so no net benefit in using it at all, in fact probably a negative as I don't think the screen would have scratched up as quickly as the fairly soft protector!

So all my phones and cameras have gone without protectors and have been fine!

Some Olympus stuff
I didn't get where I am today...
Old 24th May 2017

Liked 530 Times in 370 Posts

Another satisfied user of Expert Shield protectors here

When I bought my first one I thought I would see how tough it was and so scraped it quite hard with the point of a pair scissors. It marked the Expert Shield (as I expected).

I then received a "How good was for you" questionaire in which I expressed my satisfaction but commented on my pursuit of knowledge experience, but stating that it was a reckless act and not making a complaint. They sent me a new Expert Shield with a note saying they would have tested it in the same way in a similar situation.

Since then I have bought 3 or 4 for my expanding fleet of cameras.
Old 24th May 2017

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

FWIW - I've been using tempered glass screens on my mobile phone for the last couple of years - and I reckon they have been invaluable - a couple of times I've dropped my phone from a low height, and though the protector has cracked, the screen has been untouched.
And they've been easy to remove too. I'm hoping the expert shield works in a similar way in the event I need to remove mine.
Old 24th May 2017

Thanked 1,149 Times in 1,024 Posts
Liked 1,230 Times in 800 Posts

I use expert shield protectors for all my Email bodies and my tablet. No complaints, I bought an anti glare screen for my mkii but find my reactalite glasses when dark make viewing difficult.
I have a problem with light after a brain I jury from a RTA on my motorbike.
I bought a clear replacement, removal was easy and I have the anti glare back on the fitting material sheet.
This is available FREE to the first person contacting me by PM to get my address to send me a SSAE. The protector fits the EM 1 and EM 5
and is easy to fit. It may fit other models.

I did scratch one on my E5 two years ago and spoke to a staff member on their stand at the Photography Show. He listened turned round and handed me a replacement, good customer service.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

What if the Hokey Cokey is what its all about?
Old 24th May 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee man View Post
I use expert shield protectors for all my E system bodies and my tablet. No complaints, I bought an anti glare screen for my mkii but find my reactalite glasses when dark make viewing difficult.
I have a problem with light after a brain I jury from a RTA on my motorbike.
I bought a clear replacement, removal was easy and I have the anti glare back on the fitting material sheet.
This is available FREE to the first person contacting me by PM to get my address to send me a SSAE. The protector fits the EM 1 and EM 5
and is easy to fit. It may fit other models.

I did scratch one on my E5 two years ago and spoke to a staff member on their stand at the Photography Show. He listened turned round and handed me a replacement, good customer service.

Old 24th May 2017

Thanked 1,479 Times in 1,407 Posts
Liked 1,392 Times in 889 Posts

I use the Swido matt anti reflective shield on the E-M5 Mk1. I have not noticed any issues.
Lenses (OM Fit): Vivitar Series II 28-105mm/F2.8-3.8, Sigma 21-35mm/F3.4-4.2, Sigma 35-70mm/F2.8-4, Sigma 75-200mm/F2.8-3.5, Vivitar Series II 100-500mm/F5.6-8.0, Centon 500mm/F8 Mirror
Learn something new every day
Old 24th May 2017

No issues with the product it is just when my glasses have darkened due to bright light I cannot see as clearly as I can with the clear screen.

Old 25th May 2017

Liked 665 Times in 343 Posts

The harden ones cannot be used with the swivel screens like the Em1mk2 and the em5mk2. Only the thin flexible ones.
I use the matte ones as i don't like the reflective surface of the LCD.

All my garbage so far.