Olympus UK E-System User Group
Olympus UK E-System User Group

Join our unique resource for Olympus Four Thirds E-System DSLR and Pen and OM-D Micro Four Thirds photographers. Show your images via our free e-group photo gallery. Please read the e-group.uk.net forum terms and conditions before posting for the first time. Above all, welcome!

Go Back   Olympus UK E-System User Group > Cameras, lenses and system accessories > Camera conference > Micro Four Thirds > Olympus OM-D E-M10

Olympus OM-D E-M10 The smallest and lightest Micro Four Thirds camera from Olympus with an integrated Electronic Viewfinder

Old 4th December 2016
Administrator

Liked 1,568 Times in 900 Posts
Re: Beginner, trying to learn on mirrorless camera

I think you would be well served by popping along to your local Camera Club and asking them for some help.

Have a look at this one:

http://bradfordphoto.org.uk/index.ph...s-2/meetings-2

We often repeat the mistakes we most enjoy...
Old 4th December 2016
shutterspeed

Thanks sdb123. This is the problem....I simply don't know what each function of the fuji to set it to. I know robin wong's website shows some settings, but these don't work for me.
Old 4th December 2016
shutterspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
I think you would be well served by popping along to your local Camera Club and asking them for some help.

Have a look at this one:

http://bradfordphoto.org.uk/index.ph...s-2/meetings-2

Thanks Graham. I've emailed them, but their email address bounces back, so either they've stopped the club or must have a server problem.

BTW, how could you tell I'm from bradford?
Old 4th December 2016
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterspeed View Post
BTW, how could you tell I'm from bradford?
IP address. (available only to Admin)

Had you been closer, I'd have offered some tuition.

Old 4th December 2016
shutterspeed

lol....I see. Yeah I wish I was closer. I will give them a call on monday.
Old 5th December 2016
shutterspeed

Hi,

Just to update....
  • Olympus have declined to cover the camera under their warranty as I don't have a receipt
  • I've requested to join the photography group and they have responded, stating that for the next 2 weeks, they have a speaker and some xmas do. But I plan to join them in January in the hope I can get some help and advise on how to setup and use my camera.

BTW, does anyone else attend/has attended similar groups to these? If so, what should I expect? Will people show me how to best use the camera and how to set it up?
Old 5th December 2016

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

What should you expect from attendance at a Camera Club you ask.

Well, for one, death by sitting in the dark looking at photos of dogs, bridges, flowers etc, whilst a guest judge awards points to each. . I can still hear the judge's voice "I'll give this one '13 1/2' because it's slightly blurred..."
At half time, coffee or tea dispensed in plastic cups by ladies reminiscent of a mothers Union.
Members who at the drop of a hat will bore you rigid talking about their Canon or Nikon hardware, and how their 5D mkiV can take a wicked image of a vase of flowers at 200 yards with their 70-210 f2.8.
I've attended two separate camera clubs, never to return. My first visit was on a competition evening (as if photography can be remotely competitive) and I escaped shortly after half time pretending I was off to the toilet!

on flickr
The Following User Says Thank You to Ricoh For This Useful Post:
The Following Users Liked This Post:
Jim Ford (5th December 2016), shutterspeed (5th December 2016)
Old 5th December 2016
shutterspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post

Well, for one, death by sitting in the dark looking at photos of dogs, bridges, flowers etc, whilst a guest judge awards points to each. . I can still hear the judge's voice "I'll give this one '13 1/2' because it's slightly blurred..."
At half time, coffee or tea dispensed in plastic cups by ladies reminiscent of a mothers Union.
Members who at the drop of a hat will bore you rigid talking about their Canon or Nikon hardware, and how their 5D mkiV can take a wicked image of a vase of flowers at 200 yards with their 70-210 f2.8.
I've attended two separate camera clubs, never to return. My first visit was on a competition evening (as if photography can be remotely competitive) and I escaped shortly after half time pretending I was off to the toilet!
Well that's put me off these clubs for life
Old 5th December 2016

Liked 1,919 Times in 1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutterspeed View Post
Well that's put me off these clubs for life
Glad I could be of service!

And if you turned up with, or talking about, a M4/3 they would pour scorn on you and your equipment, "toy cameras" they would say. "Get yourself a proper man's camera".

on flickr
Old 5th December 2016

Liked 429 Times in 207 Posts

Regarding the first two pictures of the little person - I'm assuming they're bouncing about? Shutter speed needs to be higher to "freeze" the action or you end up with a reasonably sharp background and blurred moving figure.
If you're missing focus with the 14-42mm lens you might want to try using the "touch to focus" and/or "touch to shoot" function on the screen. The square icon on the screen will cycle between disabling touch, touch to set the focus point and touch to focus and shoot.
I usually set my camera to "touch to shoot" when handing it over to others and tell them to hold the camera steady and "touch my face" That means the camera will autofocus on my mug and then fire the shutter then it is in focus.
When I'm using my camera I tend to use "touch to focus" to choose where in the image the camera is autofocusing then use the shutter button to actually take the image.

It's worth noting that in the UK at this time of year even on a "bright day" there's not a lot of light indoors. The human eye is miraculous at dealing with variation in lighting and the colour temperature of light, giving you a clear view at most times. Digital cameras are less capable so you have to understand the limitations and work within them.
Old 5th December 2016

Liked 250 Times in 127 Posts

Whoooa!

Steve's description of camera clubs strikes a chord BUT Graham's suggestion should not be dismissed out of hand. I belong to a vibrant club where members are working hard to assist those just starting out on their photographic journey. I've never heard anyone thrust their opinions of different makes on others although naturally people enthuse about their choice of weaponry and why not?

Yes, there can be things you will not enjoy, why not try? Embrace the useful, ignore the dross which is what one does in most things in life.

Learn the craft, move on to the art. When you have mastered the former, plot your own course. Best of luck, you chose good kit to get started, be patient, it's a wonderful journey.

David
Old 5th December 2016
Administrator

I visit a lot of clubs both as a judge and to provide tuition.

There is a vast range of clubs, offering everything from the dross as described, to the clubs that are far more interested in the practical side of photography, post processing and image creation.

The most efficient way to learn is from other people's mistakes, and if someone is willing to provide hints and tips, buy them a coffee and listen...

By the way, I leave my camera set to iAuto when it's in the bag. I've got some excellent shots, by just switching it on and shooting without thinking.

The Following Users Liked This Post:
AMc (6th December 2016), OM USer (6th December 2016)
Old 5th December 2016

Liked 62 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_of_Rainham View Post
By the way, I leave my camera set to iAuto when it's in the bag. I've got some excellent shots, by just switching it on and shooting without thinking.

I never thought of that, the shots I have missed because the camera was not set up!!

OM-D E-M5 mk2, m12-40mm f2.8, m25mm f1.8, m45mm f1.8, m60mm f2.8 Macro, M14‑150mm 1:4-5.6 II, M75-300mm MK2, Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5 fisheye
Old 5th December 2016

Liked 122 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricoh View Post

Camera clubs vary hugely. In the last 5 years I've attended a local one and we've only once had an external judge access our images. Even internal judges competitions would average less than 5 a year.
Our half time Tea/coffee is in proper mugs usually with a selection of cakes.
Yes you can get caught by a bore, but it's rare.
At least 3 of the regulars shoot MFT (some still use compacts)
Generally at least half the sessions involve practical work, actually taking photos. In the summer that's often out on location.

I'm probably biased (now being treasurer) but if it was as the one you describe I'm sure I'd not have returned.

I have heard experience of other local clubs where members jealously guard any tips that might help them win the next round. I wouldn't be interested in that sort of thing either!
Old 5th December 2016
shutterspeed

Well thank you very much guys for your advice and input. I've spoken to the camera club and they've advised that on this thur they have a speaker attending to talk about photography and then the week after they have a special xmas dinner get-together. I explained what I was after and the suggestion is to start beginning of Jan 2017. So for now my plans to join club are on hold, but certainly not cancelled.

I've continued taking more photos and what I've found is that using the flash, makes a massive difference as the photos aren't blurry or out-of-focus. Why is this the case?

Someone suggested the shutter-speed, but the problem is that if I adjust the shutter-speed to help slow action down, the photo is then too dark. To compensate for this, I can put the iso up, but then the next issue is a very grainy photo.